1985 world series photo

STL FANATIC

How about the 'Phantom Goal" that Pittsburg scored against Toronto in the playoffs (can't find photo or remember the date, some hokcey fan I am) that was a good one.

Oh man. A guy I know is extremely bitter about that one. And apparently it was Kerry Fraser behind the stupid call.

They called it a goal because "as it was flying through the air, the puck crossed the goal line" and "it is a goal because there is no proof that is didn't cross the line." And the netcam showed it marvelously and hit one post, perfectly SLIDE straight along the goal line, hit the other post and fly out.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

NO GOAL!  man that still tears me up. The NHL says that Hull

maintened possesion after his initial shot was stopped.

But If you watch the replay, what actually happens is Hasek

covers the puck with his glove, a Sabres D clears a Star players out of the crease, kicking Haseks glove in the process

and squirting the puck free, as you see it in the photo.

That is the defensemens skate to the right.

So how did Hull maintain control if he never had it?

IMO once Hasek covers it, even for a second, Hull loses posession.

Then there is NO GOAL Part 2 in the Playoffs the very next year. John LeClairs slapshot that went through the twine through a rip in the side of the net. Clearly show by the goal cam, yet they allowed it.

Then there is NO GOAL Part 2 in the Playoffs the very next year. John LeClairs slapshot that went through the twine through a rip in the side of the net. Clearly show by the goal cam, yet they allowed it.

i remeber watchin that game. the sabres owner i think even went to the goal judge room and was throwing a tantrum pointing at the tv

untitled-1.png

No, I'm NHL is not consistent and needs to be.

I'm sure you're probably bitter over the Pandolfo goal against Ottawa that should have counted.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

No, Devils fans aren't beitter over the Pando no goal. The Devs went on to win that game 1-0, and went on to win the series.

As far as the finals, the Ducks were lucky it went 7 games. Had that fluke goal not happen in game 3 it could have very well been a 4 game sweep. Giguere (sp?) didn't play well at all in that series. The Con Smythe should have gone to Brodeur (record for shutouts in the playoffs), or Niedermayer. Not someone on the losing team, (they would have lost without Giguere too). Now the Con smythe I'm kind of bitter about.

BTW...that pitch by Mark Langston in Game 1 of the 1998 Series...that was a strike. Tino would have struck out, his confidence would have continued to flounder. He wouldn't have gotten those 3 hits in Game 2, the lack of a blow out may have been the turn that the Padres needed to avoid that late inning blast by Brosius in game 3 and who knows what happens in that series.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

BTW...that pitch by Mark Langston in Game 1 of the 1998 Series...that was a strike. Tino would have struck out, his confidence would have continued to flounder. He wouldn't have gotten those 3 hits in Game 2, the lack of a blow out may have been the turn that the Padres needed to avoid that late inning blast by Brosius in game 3 and who knows what happens in that series.

Ha, good one   :laugh:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Now the Con smythe I'm kind of bitter about.

Except that Conn Smythe isn't for the finals, but for the entirety of the playoffs.  And, given that the Ducks wouldn't have been anywhere close to the Finals if Giguere hadn't carried them there, while the Devils had a much broader team effort outside of Brodeur, I can see why he was considered the Most Valuable to his team in the playoffs.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That Deckinger call was the worst ever in my opion in that it clearly changed who won the World Series.

The other are allopen to debate.

If Langston pitch in 1998 is strike 3 what happens? The game is already tied the Yanks bullpen takes over and teh Yankees win in extra innings.

The crease rule was horrible I hav eno problem with the Hull goal.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Now the Con smythe I'm kind of bitter about.

Except that Conn Smythe isn't for the finals, but for the entirety of the playoffs. And, given that the Ducks wouldn't have been anywhere close to the Finals if Giguere hadn't carried them there, while the Devils had a much broader team effort outside of Brodeur, I can see why he was considered the Most Valuable to his team in the playoffs.

Wasn't valuable enough.

...and Brodeur got a shutout to end the Cup Series. Should have been Brodeur.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Well if e're whining--1990 playoffs Flames vs Kings--Game 6 Flames are up 3-2 in games.  They go to OT, and the Flames score--the TV replays clearly show the puck in the net--but no goal--it would've/shoul've been the deries winner...but this is before video replays (they came in the 90-91 season) and the goal was not allowed--then on the game winner Vernon is CLEARLY interfered with and the LA goal should have ben disallowed and the Flames should have ben on the power play.

Am I bitter?  No that was awhile ago--and the FLames could & should have won the game in regulation time--but they let it slip away.  The non goal was a major factor in the NHL going to video replays--they had discussed it before--but that incident helped it get the support it needed (What if that happened to my team?)  SO good came of it...and the Flames still had game 7 to win it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Or the all-time greatest.....

Dal_buf1.jpg

Oh but Bettman said the flow of play and that Hull's "momentum" made him step in the crease. I've heard more BS come out of Bettman than from any other commish. He knows the refs got it wrong.

By the way, a year earlier Jamie Langenbrunner interfered with Sharks goalie Mike Vernon in the crease as Mike Modano's shot goes into the net 30 seconds after San Jose ties Game 5 of the Western Quarterfinals. Referee (and Aqua Net spokesperson) Kerry Fraser refuses to call the replay booth which even said after the game that the goal shouldn't have counted and even Langenbrunner should've been called for goalie intereference. Vernon has a tirade along with the entire Sharks bench. Stars win game 5 and win the series in 6 games.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

1985 - The Cardinals imploded after a horribly blown call.  Yes, it shouldn't have happened, but they got clobbered in game 7.   If I recall correctly, Joaquin Andujar started game 7, and he had no right to.  He was already spent and just didn't have it.

Miracle in Nashville - if it didn't go forward, it's legal.  Sorry Titan fans, but it was legal.

Skate in the crease - bad rule, good call.

Tuck rule (Brady vs. the Raiders) - horrible rule, but called correctly (I'm surprised that no one has brought this up before.

It's where I sit.

The cardinals got screwed..YES...but, Whitey needed to get them refocused for Game 7.  That didn't happen.  We got our cans kicked and I think every cardinal fan in the world knew we would after we lost game 6.

Ditto again in 87 when we lost game 6 to the Twinkies...Game 7 was mailed in!  

The Tuck Rule...My complaint with the way it was called was that Brady actually put his other hand on the ball...at that point, I felt he was no longer passing the ball...fumble...game set match...but who cares....if it wasn't the 49ers..then it didn't matter...

As far at the StL -KC 1985 Series goes. The picture above, sent in by StLfanatic, shows that the Royals' runner is out-however was called safe. This is game 6 of the series. The Royals would get a 9th inning hit from Dane Iorg (Org) and score Jim Sunburg(Royals Cather) with the 2-1 win. The Royals went out the next night and hammered the Cards 11-0 for the Series win.

The picture shows the Pennant of the Cardinals being the World Champs - however it was the Royals won the I-70 Series, due to the bad call at first (the picture) by Ken Derkinger-Ump @ 1st base.

Just FYI from the old man who watched with excitement as my beloved Royals won their only World Championship. :D

Ahh, the I-70 series.  My shining moment for this was when my buddy bet me $50 at the beginning of the season about who would win the Series...he picked Oakland...I said, "anyone else"...we doubled it for the series, after the As were eliminated, and he took St Louis...

Screwjob? Yes. But it made this then-15 year old $100 bucks richer.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That Deckinger call was the worst ever in my opion in that it clearly changed who won the World Series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Clark drop an easy pop foul right after that? And didnt Orta get caught stealing at third anyway? And didnt the Royals win 11-0 in game 7? And didnt the Cards have another shot at the series two years later, only to blow it again? My point is, Just let it go! KC pulled themselves back from a 3-1 deficit, they were able to overcome a bad hand. St. Louis got handed a bad break and let it get to them. They didnt have the heart of a champion, therefore, they did not become champions. Let us have our one piece of glory, we all know you have plenty of your own.

(I may be wrong, i was less than a week old)

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

That was a horrible call. I was at the very next game in Buffalo, and right before the first period started, they brought out a brand-new net.

That, unfortunately was the highlight of the game. The Sabres played the most uninspired game I'd ever seen, and went on to lose the series.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived