Falcons release Alge Crumpler and 6 others

Drew22

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

The Atlanta Falcons continued their franchise makeover in earnest on Friday, releasing tight end Alge Crumpler, quarterback Byron Leftwich, offensive tackle Wayne Gandy and four other players.

The team also announced it had released cornerback Lewis Sanders, wide receiver Jamin Elliott, linebacker Marcus Wilkins and defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

"This is a difficult day for the entire organization," Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement. "A number of these players have contributed to this organization on and off the field at a high level and we greatly appreciate their efforts. These decisions weren't easy, but we felt they were necessary to build a team in the long-term best interest of the Falcons and its fans."

Crumpler, who just completed his seventh season, all with Atlanta, has 316 career catches for 4,212 yards and 35 touchdowns. He had been with the team since 2001 and was selected to five Pro Bowls.

Leftwich, formerly a starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was acquired by the Falcons during the season after the Jaguars released him in order to go with David Garrard. He alternated with Joey Harrington as the Falcons' starter last season.

"As a football coach it is never easy to cut any player, especially veteran players who have been valuable members of the organization," said new coach Mike Smith, who was hired last month.

From all indications, the shake-up isn't done. Veterans such as Warrick Dunn and Lawyer Milloy could become victims of the cap, though they weren't included in the original round of cuts.

Dimitroff wants to provide flexibility in the free-agent market, which begins Feb. 29.

Terrible, terrible idea. Why would you release Crumpler? Top 5 TE, and we cut him.

C'mon.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

An organizational flush is just what the doctor ordered. Besides, did he really do all that well last year? Maybe he was part of the problem in the clubhouse...

No one on a team as sorely awful as last year's Falcons should have ANY kind of job security, so no tears on Alge Crumpler getting cut.

Yawn...wake me when this team is once again relevant (and knows what the :censored: they're doing).

Kthxbai.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Good grief, they really cleaned the house. I can't imagine Crumpler in anything but a Falcons uniform. It's going to be weird seeing him with someone else. And, I have the slightest idea where he may go. Anyone know off the top of thier heads teams in need of TE's?

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Good grief, they really cleaned the house. I can't imagine Crumpler in anything but a Falcons uniform. It's going to be weird seeing him with someone else. And, I have the slightest idea where he may go. Anyone know off the top of thier heads teams in need of TE's?

Seattle.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Seattle.

Quick list of 10 potential teams that need upgrades and aren't already spending too much money on the position:

- Carolina

- Buffalo

- Miami

- Cincinnati

- Oakland

- Seattle

- Arizona

- Detroit

- New Orleans

Seattle.

Quick list of 10 potential teams that need upgrades and aren't already spending too much money on the position:

- Carolina

- Buffalo

- Miami

- Cincinnati

- Oakland

- Seattle

- Arizona

- Detroit

- New Orleans

Hmm...those teams are intersting. I'd like to see how Alge did in a vertical offense like Arizona or Seattle.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

My money's on Alge heading to his home state, playing for the Panthers.

An organizational flush is just what the doctor ordered. Besides, did he really do all that well last year? Maybe he was part of the problem in the clubhouse...

No one on a team as sorely awful as last year's Falcons should have ANY kind of job security, so no tears on Alge Crumpler getting cut.

Same here. It's time for the rebuilding/youth movement. I already like what the new guys in charge are doing thus far. I'm actually hoping that Dunn gets cut, because then we'll finally see Norwood get the nod, and get more money to pursue other, bigger RBs to implement a dual RB system similar to that in Jacksonville (maybe McFadden in the draft?), and other players in general.

It's sad to see these guys go...but hell, change is sorely needed, and this is what's obviously best for the franchise at this point.

Well, ya, I didn't know if they were in need of a tight end. I knew they drafted Troupe a couple years ago, and they were starting Scaife who I knew played with VY at Texas, so I kept them off the list for the reason that I thought they had a couple of capable tight ends which the Titans were happy with...guess not.

If he's healthy and has something left, he'd make another fine weapon for Drew Brees to throw to. Assuming Robert Meacham does something this year to justify the #1 pick they used on him, that would just add to the offensive firepower.

Now if the Saints can just get some defense...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Agreed. If he is healthy, I'd love to see the Titans pick him up, especially since Heimerdinger is back. He could really utilize a weapon like that.

Not sure why the Falcons cut him. It seems like they could've gotten something in a trade.

That's the only thing I didn't like about this. They could've really got something in a trade for Crump, instead of just letting him go outright.

But I understand what they're doing though...they're trying to clean house completely.

Archived