JOE BOSACK: Unseen Work

conesbeans

love his work, but the "10" logo doesn't work as a link on my browser...weird

i feel like an idiot, but i just can't find any of the logos y'all are talking about...the "10" logo does nothing on my work or home computer - i really love the work bosack does, and i'd love to see some of the things you guys are talking about...any suggestions to try and open this link?

jldesigns404eo.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't you guys get it?

Bosack's style does not dictate the outcome of the project; rather, the project dictates the style.

When Joe has a major league project -- or a collegiate or corporate project, for that matter -- the resulting artwork he delivers is appropriate for that particular client. When he has a minor league project, the resulting artwork is appropriate for that client. There is a difference, and Joe clearly understands that difference.

I do get it.

I am saying that his collegiate work is not appropriate for the collegiate market. It's why Akron, Boise State and Bucknell will all have to redesign their logos in ten years, and it's why Duke, Michigan, Auburn, Harvard, Georgia, Indiana, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Virginia will never have to redesign theirs.

The blame isn't only on the designer, it's on the client, they like these slanted beveled logos.

Don't you guys get it?

I am saying that his collegiate work is not appropriate for the collegiate market. It's why Akron, Boise State and Bucknell will all have to redesign their logos in ten years, and it's why Duke, Michigan, Auburn, Harvard, Georgia, Indiana, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Virginia will never have to redesign theirs.

The blame isn't only on the designer, it's on the client, they like these slanted beveled logos.

Check out the sales numbers for Boise State before and after the redesign (and the numbers today) and I think you'll change your tune. In fact talk to Boise fans and see what their opinion is. I don't see that logo changing for quite a while. Boise was rebranded only about 9-10 years ago and has had tremendous success with their marks. So unless you are Nostradamus' great grandson, I think you'll be proven wrong.

I am saying that his collegiate work is not appropriate for the collegiate market.

In your opinion. Obviously, the majority of administrators, students and alumni who comprise the focus groups at the colleges who hire Mr. Bosack don't share your assessment of his work.

It's why Akron, Boise State and Bucknell will all have to redesign their logos in ten years...

Again, that's your opinion. There's no way of knowing whether that will be true or not. I'll concede that it is not beyond the realm of possibility, as tastes change.

... and it's why Duke, Michigan, Auburn, Harvard, Georgia, Indiana, Minnesota, Notre Dame and Virginia will never have to redesign theirs.

Ah, but many of them already have changed some aspect of their sports identity packages. In most cases, said changes have amounted to modernizations that reflect the design taste of the time. Some examples...

Auburn University

7315.gif

2432.gif

Duke University

bdarmyl.jpg

logos_layered2.jpg

2469.gif

Sterling (Dave) comin' out of semi-retirement to educate the people!

I was looking again at the timeline and looked at his son's 5th birthday party logo. It's really kinda cool. You'd think a guy who does logos for a living would take a break. Now his kids are always gonna want birthday logos. Joe, you set your own trap!

Where's the one for IU?!

Oh, wait! They've never changed their logo, other than the occasional drop-shadow!

Don't give me that Cam Cameron B.S., either. It wasn't a schoolwide change. It affected the football team, and the football team only. And they've came to their senses and changed it back to something that wasn't completely MOD EDIT.

Sigs are for sissies.

Notre Dame

2552.gif

2554.gif

(To say nothing of "Tipperary Terrence" and "Clashmore Mike", Notre Dame's irish terrier mascots that preceeded the adoption of the leprechaun.)

The point being, mascots change and logos are redesigned. Joe Bosack's work on behalf of collegiate clients is no more or to become dated and in need of change than any other logo out there.

Where's the one for IU?!

Oh, wait! They've never changed their logo, other than the occasional drop-shadow!

First of all, there are those design professionals who would argue that, from a design standpoint, the addition of a drop-shadow constitutes a change. After all, the logo that is created by adding the drop-shadow is changed from the original logo. Otherwise, why add the drop-shadow?

That said, I never claimed that all of the schools You Got Zung referenced had changed their sports identity packages. Note the following statement:

... but many of them have already changed some aspect of their sports identity packages.

Many... not all.

One can only aspire to create some of the clean, simply brilliant work Mr. Bosack has done.... I have never communicated directly with Joe...so i hope he reads this..... I would say that Joe's (and Dan Simon's) work are incredibly innovative in a world that often corrals creativity

Somehow, Bosack?s 10th anniversary thread has turned into a bit of a referendum ON Joe Bosack the artist. I thought I?d add my $0.02.

I don?t know if all of you realize Joe is a member here at the CCSLC. I know Brian and Tom know that. The rest of you I can?t be sure.

And let me emphasize MEMBER rather than visitor. I?m sure major designers and firms and leagues and teams visit here all the time. But Joe took the time to sign up, which means he occasionally posts and gives AND takes feedback.

None of that means you aren?t free to dislike his work. Far from it. Membership here doesn?t grant you amnesty from criticism. At least it shouldn?t.

Over the years I?ve had the good fortune to come to know Joe a little bit through this website. We exchange emails a couple of times per year. Allow me to tell you a few things I know about Joe.

He?s good. I mean really good. Good like you read about. I?ve had occasion to show him some of my work, ask for feedback etc. And I tell you what. The man can turn a mere notion of an idea into a full-blown viable concept in roughly 30 seconds flat. The depth of ability and knowledge just boggles my mind. I mean, I?m pretty good. I?m a hell of an illustrator and a fairly competent ?conceptualizer? if I do say so myself. But the gap between us is night and day.

And I think that sort of gets to my greater point. To be a Pro. A real honest to goodness Pro. You need to be more than talented. You need to have more than an encyclopedic knowledge of the medium; More than an amateur historian; More than an able critic. You need to be Professional. And fast. This is a business after all. And the ability to turn out quality quickly cannot be overstated. Time is money. I?d bet hard cash money that 10 of the 20 best logos Joe has ever done?..his favorites if you will???have never seen the light of day. I guarantee it. Because ultimately the team steers the direction of the work and the designer facilitates their vision?not his/her own. Sometimes when we (rightly) rip a logo? Like that Walleye one I just saw. The issue SHOULD be taken with the team?not the artist.

I?ll contrast Joe vs myself just as an example. Whereas I might be inclined to ?fall in love? with a concept and fight myself or a potential client tooth and nail about a Walleye?s stupid eye; Joe might demure to their desires and live to fight another day. Whereas I might obsess like a logo fanboy over a project for six months, Joe can separate his love of the medium from the business side and turn projects around in weeks or even days. And none of this really comes at the expense of his work. You CAN have it both ways. You don?t have to either be the ?tortured artist? or the ?sellout?.

And I don?t type any of this because I think Joe is the greatest ever. There are concepts of his I don?t like. But let?s give him his due. He has NEVER released anything as painfully incompetent as Phoenix has?or Adrenaline for that matter. His worst work is still REALLY decent, very solid stuff. And when he?s on, he sometimes comes close to genius. (see Akron?for my money anyway).

The very best of ?our? business can do all these things very well. That being work competently, tightly, quickly and without prejudice. And I?m jealous. I don?t think a fan backlash is necessarily surprising. It?s like how we sit here and talk all day about athletes. We dig through the fine print and analyze every aspect of what they have or have not accomplished. They merely go out and DO. Period. And we all could stand to learn a thing or to from an individual like that.

Feel free to resume the discussion. I didn?t post this as a ?flame? to the thread to take issue with anyone in particular. I just want you to realize we have a person among us who is doing what most of us dream of doing. And he?s willing to listen and share to some degree. It?s like joining a movie and TV forum where Joss Whedon and JJ Abrams post frequently. So, take that for what it?s worth.

Thanks for the great read Sterling. The funny thing is, when I was 12 or 13, I used to lurk around these boards (though more of the Fanhome board in the earlier years) and your concepts were the ones that I looked up to. You and a few others were my heroes of graphic design. Today, I go to a people like Andrew (formerly tempest) with my questions and to critique my concepts in hope of learning the tricks of the trade...

Another thing I found interesting was the self reflection of my own design history. I look back and see how far I've come. Actually, when I was 13, I recolored the LMU to Detroit Lions colors and passed it off as my own concept on this very board... (I guess the point would be, don't be too critical of people who do that. You never know who they could turn out to be!) So going from that point to where I am now at the age of 18, hopefully only scratching the surface of my designing abilities. Then I look at someone like Joe Bosack's work and I see how far I still have to go... it's exhausting! But I have to say, what I would give to intern with Joe for one summer! It would be a dream come true...

Thanks for stopping by Sterling. Feel free to post anytime! Its always great hearing from the legends of the boards...

His concepts are so good - I love his work!!! Way to Go Joe :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Notre Dame

2552.gif

2554.gif

(To say nothing of "Tipperary Terrence" and "Clashmore Mike", Notre Dame's irish terrier mascots that preceeded the adoption of the leprechaun.)

The point being, mascots change and logos are redesigned. Joe Bosack's work on behalf of collegiate clients is no more or to become dated and in need of change than any other logo out there.

Every secondary logo you have shown has not been timeless, which is why they have changed. Meanwhile, the primary ND, Georgia, Auburn and Duke logos haven't changed over time, because they look classical and collegiate.

Let me clarify for the third time, I think this guy is a great designer, I just prefer classical collegiate logos.

My college's logo is terrible, but I'd prefer that to some trendy thing, so would most other alumni. Alumni do not like change, generally speaking.

I do get it.

Let me clarify for the third time, I think this guy is a great designer, I just prefer classical collegiate logos.

so when you're talking about logos here, you're talking about the lettermarks, right?

if michigan had the athletic history of, say, boise state would a relatively plain block M with a banner that says MICHIGAN be as classic and iconic? would they sell as much merchandise? i doubt it

if auburn had the athletic history of bucknell, would a block A with an unnaturally widened U underneath it be considered timeless? would you pay it much attention? i don't think so

is the old akron block A found here really better as an identity than what they have currently?...not in my opinion - it may be more "classic", but it's also plain, boring, nondescript and the colors look very dated without a storied athletic past to accompany it - it could represent any school that starts with an A - nothing about it says "akron zips" to me...give akron duke's basketball history, though, and it's an icon - the current akron logo set, on the other hand, is INSTANTLY recognizable as being unique to akron, even to someone who knows little about the university or athletic program itself

i suspect the same would be true of your examples were it not for the tradition that goes along with the logo

and i still can't get the "10" logo to do anything...i feel like someone is playing a cruel practical joke on me by talking about logos that i really want to see, but can't because they don't exist :)

jldesigns404eo.png

Every secondary logo you have shown has not been timeless, which is why they have changed. Meanwhile, the primary ND, Georgia, Auburn and Duke logos haven't changed over time, because they look classical and collegiate.
Georgia's logo is so 'classic' and 'collegiate' that they originally borrowed it from Green Bay. How do you know some of his marks won't end up being timeless? Do you have a crystal ball at your house?

Link just worked fine for me. You might have a popup blocker stopping it.

Direct link: http://www.joebosack.com/10thAnniversary.htm

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived