Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

Columbus Blue Jackets (What the hell is a Blue Jacket anyway)

They're trying to tie the name to the Union Army from the Civil War. The Union wore blue jackets and the Confederates wore gray. That's why the shoulder logo is of a blue Union Army cap of 1860's vintage.

I have no idea what the hell was up with the bug they had originally had.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Columbus Blue Jackets (What the hell is a Blue Jacket anyway)

They're trying to tie the name to the Union Army from the Civil War. The Union wore blue jackets and the Confederates wore gray. That's why the shoulder logo is of a blue Union Army cap of 1860's vintage.

It also ties in with a famous white guy (well, famous in Ohio, anyway) who hooked up with a local native tribe and was given the name "Blue Jacket."

There's an "Outdoor Drama Production" that fictionalizes the history behind it (growing up in the area, I attended it more than a couple times).

I have no idea what the hell was up with the bug they had originally had.

That's still a mystery.

I've always pictured the meeting for the stinger logo going something like

"we need a logo and we need a logo fast."

"I've got an idea"

"let's hear it, we're all open to anything at this point, I mean how the hell are we going to come up with a logo for a BLUEjacket, what the hell is that anyway?"

"it's a civil war soldier sir."

"civil war? Last I checked the numbers the civil war didn't test well"

"well what did test well?"

"bees"

"bees?"

"bees, bumble bees, honey bees, beeswax, hornets, wasps, stingers"

"yellow jackets!"

"yellow jackets huh? yellow Jackets like Blue Jackets. That's it, I've got it. Put a yellow jacket in a blue jacket, cut print money in the bank. We'll call him stinger, he can even be the team's official mascot."

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm really surprised that nobody has said the New York Islanders. There are no Islander fans around here and they are televised, on the radio, and do get some coverage in the newspapers.

Yep, even in Pittsburgh, the Pirates are forgotten

for me theres also:

Kansas City Royals

Florida Marlins

Phoenix Coyotes

LA Kings

Houston Texans

Columbus Blue Jackets

Nashville Predators

Edmonton Oilers

Detroit Lions

The entire NBA, because of the closest NBA team to Pittsburgh being in Cleveland, and general dislike for the NBA brand of basketball.

oBIgzrL.png

Almost every team in the NBA, because I think basketball is incredibly boring and I forget it even exists. :P

What he said

The NHL

- I really don't forget NHL teams but I'll say the Blues just to have one from each sport.

The NFL

- NO Saints - I always forgot about this team until Post-Katrina when they were always talked about

- Jacksonville Jaguars

- Carolina Panthers

- San Francisco 49ers

MLB

- Cincinnati Reds

- Chicago White Sox

Ooh! Ooh! I've got another one...

You mean like Devils fans who forget that they actually play home games?

:cursing:

These Teams have a worse percentage

Atlanta

Nashville

St. Louis

NY Islanders

Phoenix

Boston

Columbus

Washington

Florida

Chicago

These teams have a worse average

Boston

Florida

Washington

Columbus

Nashville

Phoenix

NY Islanders

These teams have worse totals

Carolina

Nashville

Chicago

Columbus

Washington

Boston

Florida

NY Islanders

Phoenix

Also how can you forget a first place team that has made the playoffs for over ten straight years and won three cups in recent history?

Also I know you were joking...but still! I'm bitter and old!

How can you forget a team that has won 5 Super Bowls?

How can you forget a team that has been argued as the best team in NFL history?

Yes I know im biased,but still.

When they won their last Super Bowl they won i was only 4 years old.

They haven't made the playoffs in the past 6 years. Yes the Bills haven't made it in 8 years, but i live 3 miles from Ralph Wilson Stadium. I probably would have forgotten about the Bills if I didn't live in Buffalo, and i'm surprised people haven't mentioned the Bills.

saBS.png

I can name all of the teams in the NBA, alphabetically, East-to-West, by division, you name it. But whenever I try to name teams in the NFL, or at least the last time I tried, I forgot about the Baltimore Ravens and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The last time I did that for MLB, I forgot about the San Diego Padres, for whatever reason. And sorry, I could only name half of the NHL if I tried.

As far as importance, the Texas Rangers and Florida Marlins are pretty forgettable.

Archived