What will or should be the name of the new MLS club in Philly?

roxfan00

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put the team at the Linc. Good luck getting people to go up to Chester for a game, new stadium or not. St. Louis dont worry, after this fizzles out you can just have our team.

Jeff Lurie burnt his soccer bridge when free-born Americans weren't allowed to fly Old Glory during the 2003 Women's World Cup.

Pitch is too narrow as well.

If you don't throw your buck-oh-five, who will?

Mmmmm, buck-oh-five ....

Put the team at the Linc. Good luck getting people to go up to Chester for a game, new stadium or not. St. Louis dont worry, after this fizzles out you can just have our team.

As a Philly transplant in NYC, I can't wait to make the trek past the Sports Complex, past the airport, across the bridge and to the stadium. Especially if I get to boo Energy Drink FC!!

I don't think this has been officially announced as of yet--at the least, it's not up on MLS's site.

And, StL, while I agree with you on a number of points, I've seen this coming for a while. It's also been pretty well known that both cities will likely get teams--they were in competition for admission order, and that seems to be about it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

i dont really have any suggestions for an actual name, but i think they should go for an official team name that's more "European-inspired" (ie- FC____, ____United, etc.) instead of following the more American tradition of [location name][nickname]. maybe it's b/c i still associate soccer/futbol as an international/"foreign" sport, but the American naming convention for MLS teams just never really worked for me. i mean, they could still have a "nickname," but i don't think they should make it a part of their "proper" name.

The Chester Commodores. Because that's where they're really playing and the stadium is going to be next to the Commodore Barry bridge.

But if you must pin a Philly name on the Chester MLS franchise, I say.......Philadelphia Fury. Bring it back from the old NASL days.

Bring back the Whale!

The Chester Commodores. Because that's where they're really playing and the stadium is going to be next to the Commodore Barry bridge.

But if you must pin a Philly name on the Chester MLS franchise, I say.......Philadelphia Fury. Bring it back from the old NASL days.

Don't forget the Philadelphia Atoms (the original NASL team in Philly).

Where are they going to play before the new stadium is built? The Linc?

ta da! a reworking of the name, and it'll do:

AthleticoPhila08Present.png

Athletico? So Philly is in Spain now?

And if they go with anything related to "Athletic Club" or "AC" or anything like that I hope they plan on actually being an athletics club. (With membership and everything and multiple sports)

I'm tired of MLS names that make no sense. Stop trying to be European for the sake of being European.

Not one thing wrong with Philly.

But I'm done with the MLS.

When they put that team in STL, you can bet I'll support them, but until then, they can screw off.

St. Louis had the funding and stadium plans in place for months. The prospective ownership group wasn't led by a big hotshot, but he had more money than other ownership groups.

MLS kept coming up with BS excuses. They wanted Philly all along. They asked Cooper (the prospective ownership group leader) to find more investors. They were just stalling.

Again. Nothing against Philly. It even makes sense to have that market there. But St. Louis is a soccer hotbed. St. Louis was the biggest reason soccer never completely died out in the US. And St. Louis had their s*** together.

But we got used. And it's ridiculous.

So screw off MLS.

For the sake of the sport in America, I don't wish the league to fold or anything of the sort. But I won't support it anymore until they put a team where one belongs.

I don't know that it's legit to claim this anymore, but St. Louis isn't far removed from being the soccer capital of America, and the MLS found 16 other cities more deserving of a team.

Bull Spit.

Game. Set. Match.

I can't say it any better. I will add though, let's not forget that MLS totally screwed us before by throwing their supposed franchise requirements out the window & handing Seattle a team. Burn us once, shame on us. Burn us twice...

Archived