CCSLC Logo Correction Thread

rmackman

On the New York Yankees page, the original tophat logo is ommitted.

333px-1940sYankeeLogo.svg.png

The original tophat logo was created by Lon Keller, a famous sports artist, in 1947. It was modernized in the late 1970s to the logo we have today.

http://www.lonkeller.com/

Also, the logo you used to represent the Yankees cap logo is the "print logo." It is used on official documents and team marketing, not the cap. The cap logo more closely resembles this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NewYorkYankees_caplogo.svg

Also, the crest on the New York Islanders' third alternate jersey differs slightly from the normal home and road jerseys. The blue background is a royal blue (matching the color of the jersey). The "NY" portion of the logo are thicker, as well as the border circling the logo, and on the stick, there are 4 stripes, instead of the normal 3, signifying the Islanders' 4 Stanley Cups.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it was mentioned beforehand, but for the last part of this past season, the Utah Jazz wore a memorial patch for team owner Larry H. Miller, who passed away from cancer on February 20th. I dont have a copy of the logo but I can describe it - it is the old purple musical note by itself with "LHM" in white on the note's tail. I dont remember seeing it on the Jazz's CCSL page, if I come across a copy of it I will post it on here.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

The original tophat logo was created by Lon Keller, a famous sports artist, in 1947. It was modernized in the late 1970s to the logo we have today.

Also, the logo you used to represent the Yankees cap logo is the "print logo." It is used on official documents and team marketing, not the cap. The cap logo more closely resembles this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NewYorkYankees_caplogo.svg

Don't upload that one, Chris - it's mine, and it's not 100% accurate. I'm still working on it - can send you a vector when I'm done.

Don't upload that one, Chris - it's mine, and it's not 100% accurate. I'm still working on it - can send you a vector when I'm done.

Wow, that's yours? This board is great, there are so many resources. I can't wait to see your improved vectors on the NYY page.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

Not sure if it was mentioned beforehand, but for the last part of this past season, the Utah Jazz wore a memorial patch for team owner Larry H. Miller, who passed away from cancer on February 20th. I dont have a copy of the logo but I can describe it - it is the old purple musical note by itself with "LHM" in white on the note's tail. I dont remember seeing it on the Jazz's CCSL page, if I come across a copy of it I will post it on here.

millerjpg.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the info about the original logo. I prefer the original top-hat logo MUCH more than the one currently in use, which has the white brim (Exhibit A.); it may just be me, but this particular version has always felt like a "dumbed-down" interpretation of our beloved logo. Nevertheless, I would like to submit my opinion concerning the date of the modernization of the logo. I don't believe it was the late 1970's, as you had suggested. First, there are photos of the original logo with the blue brim still prominently displayed in Yankee Stadium even as late as the early 1980's (Exhibit B.), before an extensive overhaul of the scoreboard took place in the late 1980's (Exhibit C.), and the logo disappeared.

To throw a curveball into this already vague subject, I was watching Game 1 of the 1996 World's Series the other night, when something caught my eye! It was our beloved old logo, with the blue brim, painted proudly on the roof of the Yankees' dugout! This is the latest date I've seen it used.

vv51n.png

Exhibit A

SGBWy.jpg

Exhibit B

Y7Iqi.jpg

Exhibit C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So this hasn't been used in quite awhile, but I found something today that I've been looking for. Here's a photo of the 1995-96 Miami Dolphins team calendar that was a giveaway at the home opener that year. What you'll see is a good rendering of the Dolphins wordmark at that time. I don't think we have this dual colored version up. The question is, can anyone turn that into a useable vector for the site?

DolphinsCalendar2.png

I tried to do a better job of separating it, but I'm not particularly talented in this sort of thing....

DolphinsOldStyle.png

The other thing I noticed with this is that two of the classic Dolphins logos that we do have on the site are actually titled too far to the left. They need to be rotated to the right just a small amount. Also, we have one logo labeled as 1974-1989 and the other labeled as 1989-1996. However, both logos were used interchangeably through 1996.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I have both those in SVG

45d4d2392bb83a3babf25258fe6dc851.png

5a4883bb197ea2b5e39375e914096d1f.png

Excellent! Can that script be added to the database? (Also, I think needs a slight color correction from ColorWerx to be a shade lighter).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I have both those in SVG

Excellent! Can that script be added to the database? (Also, I think needs a slight color correction from ColorWerx to be a shade lighter).

I did use colorwerx for the color of that year.

Either way, thanks! We definitely needed this! :grin: Also, we can have the script recolored into all aqua and all orange since those were used depending on the background they were placed on. Could replace the grainy version we have now.

spacer.png

Minor change to the Padres logos in light of today's announcements. The interlocking alternate "SD" logo on blue background is still one of their logos after all and has not been retired.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=q7x99u90ug7rhlhn6locioj98

Actually, that's incorrect. Last year, the logo was considered a secondary logo. This year, that status has been removed and the "SD on blue" logo will only be seen on the caps and the alternate uniform.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Minor change to the Padres logos in light of today's announcements. The interlocking alternate "SD" logo on blue background is still one of their logos after all and has not been retired.

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=q7x99u90ug7rhlhn6locioj98

Actually, that's incorrect. Last year, the logo was considered a secondary logo. This year, that status has been removed and the "SD on blue" logo will only be seen on the caps and the alternate uniform.

Not according to the preso the team gave the press. It remains one of the teams five logos along with the military roundel, friar, stadium outline, and of course the primary roundel. I'd direct you here from the unveiling yesterday.

Ad2ccL5CMAA98Eo.jpg

I have both those in SVG

I did use colorwerx for the color of that year.

Either way, thanks! We definitely needed this! :grin: Also, we can have the script recolored into all aqua and all orange since those were used depending on the background they were placed on. Could replace the grainy version we have now.

BUMP!

spacer.png

This could be vectorized as well...one of the old Pro Player Stadium logos:

dolphinsoldname.jpg

Here's another:

proplayer.jpg

...and the original:

logo_fl2.gif

Wish I could find a Joe Robbie Stadium logo

spacer.png

Archived