AFL (Arena) 2008 Updates

Sodboy13

I believe the Storm changed some things too, I just can't quite remember what.

They were going to change the helmet - drop the wordmark and the striping, and have just the navy "storm pinwheel" on a gold helmet with a navy facemask. Unfortunately, the new ownership decided to reverse course, so it's back to the wordmark and gray facemask.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the move from copper to red, I'm assuming that we can expect to see a different helmet this year as well?

Nope, the Rattlers will have their normal Copper helmet.

and that makes sense....how? If they keep the same helmet to go with that jersey...it'll look like the equipment manager screwed up everytime they take the field.

Glad to see that WWE finally auctioned off all its XFL crap!

It looks to me like the AFL has become Russel's experimentation league, to show high school programs what they can do. And I think it's making high school programs call New Balance and Reebok.

The sleeve fade doesn't look as pronounced....but on closer inspection these are worse than I previously thought. The teal fades into black, which is almost immediately broken up by the "wing/horn" template insert in teal on the whites...and by both the insert AND the teal shoulders on the black uniforms.

As said, sponsor patches cause color creep.

Both wordmarks are hard to read. Number font's ok, but the old one was better.

And while it's more noticeable in the first pic than this....I believe it's Sedona on the sleeves, but copper on the wing/horn insert on the black one. Which makes even less sense if I am right...but I guess it makes the helmets match to something....and makes this the biggest uniform clusterf :censored: maybe in football history. Russell has killed AFL jerseys, and continues to do so. :cursing:

Between Russell, the Kats re-folding, and the league's $24 million dollars in operating expense losses last season, the move that C. David Baker and company are pondering almost seems fitting (from Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal)...they're considering moving to a single-ownership entity with investment opportunities, to minimize losses and to provide more opportunities for investment.

If I got the gist of the article right, it basically means they're thinking of making all the teams owned by the league, so they will somehow lose less money. When I slog through the whole thing in detail, I'll let everyone know for sure what details it gives. But if I'm right, then they're becoming football's version of the NBDL, without the NBA's deep pockets...and we saw how that turned out. They're finally realizing after moving or folding all their old teams and revamping the entire league and branding that it seems localism and individualism may work better than cookie-cutter logos and fonts and templated jerseys mandated by the league office.

My bold prediction, on record right now: If the AFL goes league O&O, I give them 10 years until they are mothballed and mere memories...and I'd be surprised if they made it over 5.

Back on track though, after seeing what RA is doing to these uni's, I'm not nearly as heartbroken. I'm amazed that RA managed to make worse changes this season....but could you imaging if they copied the NBDL style and went with one or (to give RA/AFL credit) two templates for the entire league. Dark day indeed.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

It appears two teams are changing their primary uniforms this year. Most drastic by far is the Arizona Rattlers, who appear to have announced the new ownership by ditching their trademark uni of the past 16 seasons, turning it to crap, and trading in copper for the oh-so-Arizona Sedona Red.

20079192_z.jpg

Well then just throw on a sombrero and lets party. Seriously what the hell is that? Hope they change back for 2009.

Is that seriously a gradient being used on the uniform?!

Are they kidding us!!!!

It appears two teams are changing their primary uniforms this year. Most drastic by far is the Arizona Rattlers, who appear to have announced the new ownership by ditching their trademark uni of the past 16 seasons, turning it to crap, and trading in copper for the oh-so-Arizona Sedona Red.

20079192_z.jpg

Well then just throw on a sombrero and lets party. Seriously what the hell is that? Hope they change back for 2009.

I don't think we will have to worry. If the last ditch effort of stating playoffs or full refund, does not work out. Arizona will no longer exist.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

rats_unis08.jpg

The picture makes then look "a little" better. The teal isn't so bright.

The Arizona Rattlers wearing white pants. I hoped I'd never see the day.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

20079192_z.jpg

Are they kidding us!!!!

Go to http://azrattlers.com ... their own picture of a new uniform doesn't have a gradient ... and they describe the colors as black, teal and copper trim. what's pictured here as red is pictured there as a reddish copper. they don't mention red.

20079192_z.jpg

Are they kidding us!!!!

Go to http://azrattlers.com ... their own picture of a new uniform doesn't have a gradient ... and they describe the colors as black, teal and copper trim. what's pictured here as red is pictured there as a reddish copper. they don't mention red.

And I'd always thought the blue-ish hue was officially turquoise. When did it become "teal?" Because it looks like the same shade they've been using all this time. :unsure:

Regardless of different shades of copper and teal versus turquoise they have been ruined. I'm not even looking forward to the helmets. They've been practicing with their traditonal copper helmets, but I have a bad feeling about what they will turn out to look like.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Regardless of different shades of copper and teal versus turquoise they have been ruined. I'm not even looking forward to the helmets. They've been practicing with their traditonal copper helmets, but I have a bad feeling about what they will turn out to look like.

listening to a radio station here in the valley the owner has already stated they will be keeping the traditional copper helmets

20079192_z.jpg

Hold on....Whitney Houston is designing uniforms for Russell Athletics? :wacko:

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

listening to a radio station here in the valley the owner has already stated they will be keeping the traditional copper helmets

If the copper on the helmet is different of that on the unis then I'm just gonna flip out! Too different shades of copper? wow.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'm not a fan of the new look either.

Arizona is one of the only teams in ALL of football that pulls off the all-black uniforms perfectly.

I hope they subdue the colors drastically and change the number style.

Archived