The (Un)official 2008 NFL Off-season Thread

tBBP

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think they've overpaid for him?

As a Jaguar fan and season ticket holder since 99 I do not think he is overpaid. Last year was the first year I have seen a good Jaguar offense since the 99 season. He had a very solid year last year. He is making Romo money and this last year Garrard played just as well as Romo the year before his big deal.

It's easy to see why some would say that the Jaguars overpaid for this guy. BUT, in an off-season full of overpaid FA signings, this really shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

HOWEVER...having said that...

...I saw a hefty amount of progress in David Garrard's game last year from the couple starts he made last year while Byron Leftwich was down. And here's the other thing to remember: back when the Jaguars first drafted this guy, HE was the one the heads in Duval were looking for to eventually supplant Mark Brunell as the Jags' new franchise QB; somewhere along the line, they got mesmerized by Byron Leftwich while he was at Marshall and nabbed the cannon-armed immobile guy instead. I'm thankful the Jaguars returned to their senses last year and finally got rid of Leftwich. While DG9 may not have produced the eye-popping stats of, say, a Tony Romo or a Tom Brady--or even Brett Favre--bear in mind that's more a product of the receiving corps he has around him, or rather, the lack of a DEVELOPED corps of receivers (although it seemed Ernest Wilford made some strides last year and Reggie Williams was trying to). The other thing is that the Jags' offense isn't built for aerial fireworks--not when you have the NFL's most productive backfield tandem right there behind you. But, when it mattered the most in crunch time (and the Steelers know this full well by now), more times than not, and when he absolutely HAD to, garrard came through with some type of play to keep the Jags moving and produce some wins.

Here's the other thing one must look at: the guy is now the unquestioned leader of this club, and considering the lack of quality QB's in the league today, added to the uncertainty of developing new QB's, I think it's best that the Jags invest in this guy, who also, as far as I can tell, is also a class character guy, and considering all the bad press many NFL'ers have gotten of late, I don't think Garrard's good standing in that regard should go unnoticed or unquoted. Okay, sure, maybe the Jaguars gave him a little more than most would have, but I think they now know who their leader is, and who they want their leader to be going forward. And if that is the number DG9 was looking for, and if that's the guy the Jags want to carry them into the future, sometimes you got to break your bank open a lil' more than you'd like to hold onto the guys you really want.

(Now here's hoping something catastrophic doesn't happen to this guy...because I've liked the guy ever since his days at East Carolina University, and after being passed over for Leftwich, I'd like nothing more than to see him succeed in his NFL career. I just hope he can do so in TEAL. ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

NFL Network announced the schedule will be released tomorrow at 2:00pm EST.

Oh boy!

...seriously. I'm excited for this.

I am actually really excited! Part of the fun of being a season ticket holder. It feels like Christmas eve. I hope I find a couple of home primetime games under the tree. Even though it is one the road there is a 50/50 chance of getting a thanksgiving game. Either Jax or Tenn will play Detroit. Would love to eat myself stupid while watching the Jags on thanksgiving. I amy have trouble sleeping tonight! :blink:

We're going to Green Bay/Milwaukee/Chicago in September, and my mom knows these people with Packers season tickets that they use sometimes, and we can use if they have a home game then. My brother is a Packers fan, so thats why we'd go.

I just hope they play the Falcons then.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Among some of the more notable matchups that we'll see this year...

...Randy Moss returns to Oakland. That oughtta be fun...seeing what kind of reception the Silver and Black faithful will give to Moss--especially in that black hole.

...There will be a matchup between teams whose combined number of Super Bowl titles is also equal to the edition of the Super Bown in which they played--well, one of them, anyway. That would be 10, or X. The teams? The Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Location? Pittsburgh. That one oughtta be a good one.

...Only because of all the hoopla that is sure to surround it, The Pack will host their second-most-archest-of-rivals, the Vikings, for the first time with some other QB running the "O". At long last, we get to see exactly what this cat AR12 is made of. (He looked pretty good to me in a couple pre-season games last year, but you Pack faithful would know more about it than I would.

...This one's for you, Island_Style...if I heard the announcement right, the Jaguars get to play both the Colts AND Patriots this year It remains to be seen if either of those games will be in Duval or either up in Lucas Oil or Gillette.

More to come later...the sked's due out at 2p today.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Among some of the more notable matchups that we'll see this year...

...Randy Moss returns to Oakland. That oughtta be fun...seeing what kind of reception the Silver and Black faithful will give to Moss--especially in that black hole.

...There will be a matchup between teams whose combined number of Super Bowl titles is also equal to the edition of the Super Bown in which they played--well, one of them, anyway. That would be 10, or X. The teams? The Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Location? Pittsburgh. That one oughtta be a good one.

...Only because of all the hoopla that is sure to surround it, The Pack will host their second-most-archest-of-rivals, the Vikings, for the first time with some other QB running the "O". At long last, we get to see exactly what this cat AR12 is made of. (He looked pretty good to me in a couple pre-season games last year, but you Pack faithful would know more about it than I would.

...This one's for you, Island_Style...if I heard the announcement right, the Jaguars get to play both the Colts AND Patriots this year It remains to be seen if either of those games will be in Duval or either up in Lucas Oil or Gillette.

More to come later...the sked's due out at 2p today.

We don't play the Pats this year. the opponents are set 12 years in advance. This year we play the AFC North and NFC North. We also play the Bills and the Broncos. Word is we have Pitt at home on a sunday night, and Colts on Thursday, maybe christmas. We may have a road monday game as well.

Bills play Miami in December!!!!!!!!! The problem is that it is in fricking Toronto. :cursing:

Why would you put the Bills rival in the game at Toronto. Give Toronto San Fran, they will sell out no matter who plays.

At least we get a monday night game. 11/17 vs Cleveland. Should be a great game, with a great atmosphere.

saBS.png

Jags Schedule:

1 Sept. 7 at Tennessee Titans 1 p.m.

2 Sept. 14 Buffalo Bills 1 p.m.

3 Sept. 21 at Indianapolis Colts 1 p.m.

4 Sept. 28 Houston Texans 1 p.m.

5 Oct. 5 (Sun.) Pittsburgh Steelers 8:15 p.m.

6 Oct. 12 at Denver Broncos 4:05 p.m.

7 Oct. 19 Bye

8 Oct. 26 Cleveland Browns 4:05 p.m.

9 Nov. 2 at Cincinnati Bengals 1:00 p.m.

10 Nov. 9 at Detroit Lions 1 p.m.

11 Nov. 16 Tennessee Titans 1 p.m.

12 Nov. 23 Minnesota Vikings 1 p.m.

13 Dec. 1 (Mon.) at Houston Texans 8:30 p.m.

14 Dec. 7 at Chicago Bears 1 p.m.

15 Dec. 14 Green Bay Packers 1 p.m.

16 Dec. 18 (Thurs.) Indianapolis Colts 8:15 p.m.

17 Dec. 28 at Baltimore Ravens 1 p.m.

Bucco, it's on early my friend.

Bucs at Saints to open the season.

Bring it on!

One quirk in the Saints sked...they play three prime time games, all against NFC North teams. They host the Vikings and Packers on MNF and play at Chicago in a Thursday night NFL Network game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

No Prime Time games whatsoever! LET'S GO RAMS!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You never know in the NFL. You may have a primetime game in January. Hell, maybe even February. The NFL is wacky sometimes. I remember a 1-15 Panther team making it to the SB the next year.

Cowboys final schedule before their move to the Boss Hogg Bowl.

2008 Preseason Schedule

DATE OPPONENT (TV BROADCAST) TIME TICKETS

Sat, Aug 9 @ San Diego (KTVT/CBS 11) TBD

TBD @ Denver (KTVT/CBS 11) TBD

Fri, Aug 22 HOUSTON (CBS 11) 7:00 pm

Thur, Aug 28 MINNESOTA (KTVT/CBS 11) 7:00 PM

2008 Regular Season Schedule

DATE OPPONENT (TV BROADCAST) TIME TICKETS

Sun, Sep 7 @ Cleveland (FOX) 3:15 PM

Mon, Sep 15 PHILADELPHIA (ESPN) 7:30 PM

Sun, Sep 21 @ Green Bay (NBC) 7:15 PM

Sun, Sep 28 WASHINGTON (FOX) 3:15 PM

Sun, Oct 5 CINCINNATI (CBS) 3:15 PM

Sun, Oct 12 @ Arizona (FOX) 3:15 PM

Sun, Oct 19 @ St. Louis (FOX) NOON

Sun, Oct 26 TAMPA BAY (FOX) NOON

Sun, Nov 2 @ New York Giants (FOX) 3:15 PM

Sun, Nov 9 BYE

Sun, Nov 16 @ Washington (NBC) 7:15 PM

Sun, Nov 23 SAN FRANCISCO (FOX) NOON

Thurs, Nov 27 SEATTLE (FOX) 3:15 PM

Sun, Dec 7 @ Pittsburgh (FOX) 3:15 PM

Sun, Dec 14 NEW YORK GIANTS (NBC) 7:15 PM

Sat, Dec 20 BALTIMORE (NFLN) 7:15 PM

Sun, Dec 28 @ Philadelphia (FOX) NOON

i expect us to do well until nov. 27 before commencing to our annual winter collapse a tradition started by tuna and continued by wade. The games that interest on the schedule is the 49ers and browns. OF course i get to look forward to playing the gnats, deadskins and the filthy eagles.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

You never know in the NFL. You may have a primetime game in January. Hell, maybe even February. The NFL is wacky sometimes. I remember a 1-15 Panther team making it to the SB the next year.

Well, fortunately the loaded early schedule, combined with an early bye, could result in Linebaka's ouster by Week 5, so maybe there is hope for a late surge.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived