The (Un)official 2008 NFL Off-season Thread

tBBP

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[Lovie Smith]Rex Grossman is our quarterback.[/Lovie Smith]

[Lovie Smith]Rex Grossman is our QUARTERBACK.[/Lovie Smith]

[Lovie Smith]Rex Grossman IS our quarterback.[/Lovie Smith]

[Lovie Smith]We're going to go into the pre-season with Rex Grossman as our quarterback.[/Lovie Smith]

[Lovie Smith]We're going to play this season with REX GROSSMAN AS OUR QUARTERBACK!!![/Lovie Smith]

[2008 NFL Draft]With the 44th pick in the NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select Chad Henne, Quarterback, University of Michigan[/2008 NFL Draft]

[Lovie Smith]WE ARE GOING TO GO INTO THE 2008 NFL SEASON WITH REX GROSSMAN AS OUR QUARTERBACK!!![/Lovie Smith]

[bears fans]WHEN WILL THIS :censored: ING FRANCHISE GET A QUARTERBACK WHO DOESN'T SUCK?!!![/bears fans]

Yup, I'll quote it too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bucco, I saw the London game. Just ignoring it. It's a slap in fans' faces, especially the home team, and for the NFL to do it to New Orleans is inexplicable. Also, IMO it fouls up a team because of the long trip and how big a change in routine it is (even with a bye after). That's just one of the things about the NFL that's rubbing me the wrong way lately. I'm as big an NFL fan as anybody, but this stuff like the overseas games, starting playoff games late in the afternoon with another one at night, the cost of attending a Super Bowl (Joe Fan doesn't have a prayer), night Super Bowls, the 3rd Thanksgiving game, force-feeding us Thursday and Saturday games, and the 24/7 babble on NFL Network...it's disheartening to see the direction the league is going. In some weeks, there are games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, and Monday night. It's not just me, I hear other serious NFL fans saying, "It's just too...much...football!" That's the stuff our wives and GFs used to say back when it was only Sunday afternoon and Monday night, but the league has hardcore fans saying it now. It's overexposure and just a matter of time till the NFL jumps the shark.

The NFL is no longer about the game, the players, or the fans. Those are just means to an end: ---> $$$.

:cursing: :cursing:

< end rant >

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I HATE this new third Thanksgiving game thing that the NFL is doing. As a stadium employee, it completely F's up your day off from your regular job to be with your family.

I worked a couple of the Thrashers games on Thanksgiving night, and it's not as bad as you think it'll be. Then again, I don't mind eating late dinners.....

I HATE this new third Thanksgiving game thing that the NFL is doing. As a stadium employee, it completely F's up your day off from your regular job to be with your family.

I don't like it, either. It's like they're force-feeding us this extra game as though we're going to somehow establish it as a new tradition(not to mention royally screwing team and stadium employees like yourself). If they're gonna do this, they could at least do it right and designate another team for a yearly Thanksgiving game. I nominate Green Bay, myself.

I would vote for Kansas City. Plus, didn't they used to have an annual Thanksgiving home game as well, at least before the merger?

Bucco, I saw the London game. Just ignoring it. It's a slap in fans' faces, especially the home team, and for the NFL to do it to New Orleans is inexplicable. Also, IMO it fouls up a team because of the long trip and how big a change in routine it is (even with a bye after). That's just one of the things about the NFL that's rubbing me the wrong way lately. I'm as big an NFL fan as anybody, but this stuff like the overseas games, starting playoff games late in the afternoon with another one at night, the cost of attending a Super Bowl (Joe Fan doesn't have a prayer), night Super Bowls, the 3rd Thanksgiving game, force-feeding us Thursday and Saturday games, and the 24/7 babble on NFL Network...it's disheartening to see the direction the league is going. In some weeks, there are games on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, and Monday night. It's not just me, I hear other serious NFL fans saying, "It's just too...much...football!" That's the stuff our wives and GFs used to say back when it was only Sunday afternoon and Monday night, but the league has hardcore fans saying it now. It's overexposure and just a matter of time till the NFL jumps the shark.

The NFL is no longer about the game, the players, or the fans. Those are just means to an end: ---> $$$.

< end rant >

I'm afraid the league has already thrown away all their credibility.

< end rant >

while i agree with what your saying and in football its probably in excess, the over exposure of the sport is exactly what the NHL needs to do. What the NFL has done is make it the most recognizable sport in the country if not in parts of the world. if you asked Joe Fan about football he probably could tell you 10 of the best players in the league. Ask him about the NHL and he probably wouldn't even know there was a team in his own city, never mind the top players in the league. Its like what i've said before most people who are casual fans know who guys like Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Tony Romo etc. Ask them about Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin and Joe Thornton and they draw a blank. Thats becuase nobody knows anything about the nhls top stars and the everybody knows everything about the NFL's top stars. Why? because the NFL does a pristine job of overexposing the sport to the point that non-fans know something about the sport where as the NHL you need to go to the hardcore fan to find anyone that knows anything about the Wings, Bruins or Sidney Crosby.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The fact that the Lions were 'better overall' (they weren't THAT much better...they draft one spot behind the Bears) means nothing. Chicago is one of the largest markets in the Nation and the Bears have fans everywhere. Much like the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys and Packers. They are always going to get more Prime Time games because of that. Plus 1 is a late season Sunday night game...meaning if they suck they'll get moved for flex scheduling. And one of them is in Prime Time because its a SB rematch, and the Colts open their new stadium. Nothing to do with the Bears.

Oh, I know that. I am just saying if the Bears can get so many, the NFL could at least give the Lions one. Especially since they didn't get one last year, or the year before, I believe.

Bucco, it is something I look forward to as a fan, but I haven't really thought about it a whole lot from the players perspective. At least the Lions usually play the 12:30 game, so they might still be able to spend time with their families later. The Pistons have played on Christmas day, I would say that is worse. So yeah, while it would be nice for them to have Thanksgiving off, it is nice for the fans to be able to watch them on Thanksgiving.

i know for my family the lions thanksgiving game is part of the tradition. we all meet at the house with the biggest living room television combo and watch the game in its entirety. i know of a few other families that do that as well.

Green Bay Packers 2008 schedule

08/11 CIN (ESPN)

08/16 @ SF

08/22 @ DEN

08/28 TEN

09/08 MIN (ESPN)

09/14 @ DET

09/21 DAL (NBC)

09/28 @ TB

10/05 ATL

10/12 @ SEA

10/19 IND

10/26 bye

11/02 @ TEN

11/09 @ MIN

11/16 CHI

11/24 @ NO (ESPN)

11/30 CAR

12/07 HOU

12/14 @ JAX

12/22 @ CHI (ESPN)

12/28 DET

The first few games of the post-Favre era will be a baptism of fire for Aaron Rodgers and company, with six of their seven pre-bye games coming against either division rivals or other 2007 playoff teams. I've gone on record here as saying Rodgers is ready to take the reins. Well, it won't take long to find out.

CCSLC signature.png

Not a good day for Ravens fans

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)?Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair is retiring from the NFL after 13 seasons.

McNair told teammates of his decision during an emotional meeting Thursday morning before the launch of coach John Harbaugh?s first minicamp.

The 35-year-old McNair led the Ravens to a 13-3 record in 2006, his first season in Baltimore after 11 years in Tennessee. But groin, back and shoulder injuries limited him to six games in 2007. He threw just two touchdown passes while losing seven fumbles and throwing four interceptions as the Ravens struggled to a 5-11 record.

McNair led Tennessee to the Super Bowl in 1999, where the Titans lost to the St. Louis Rams. He was named co-MVP of the league in 2003, sharing the award with Peyton Manning.

Great, Boller to lead us to 4-12 this season :cursing:

baltimoreravens.png

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)?Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair is retiring from the NFL after 13 seasons.

McNair told teammates of his decision during an emotional meeting Thursday morning before the launch of coach John Harbaugh?s first minicamp.

The 35-year-old McNair led the Ravens to a 13-3 record in 2006, his first season in Baltimore after 11 years in Tennessee. But groin, back and shoulder injuries limited him to six games in 2007. He threw just two touchdown passes while losing seven fumbles and throwing four interceptions as the Ravens struggled to a 5-11 record.

McNair led Tennessee to the Super Bowl in 1999, where the Titans lost to the St. Louis Rams. He was named co-MVP of the league in 2003, sharing the award with Peyton Manning.

Please accept my sincerest apologizes for your impending suffering as a Baltimore Ravens football fan.

And now, in other AFC North news, Houshmizilli speaks...

...This "8-5" soap opera is just bubbling, ain't it?

(In the links in the upper right hand corner of that popup page is a mention about the Pack retiring Favor's--er, I mean Favre's--jersey during the Packers' season opener--you know, the same game in which A-Rodg makes his debut as the Pack's starter. Poor guy can't catch no kind of a break, can he???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

...This "8-5" soap opera is just bubbling, ain't it?

the nati brought it on themselves. the oc has been the same player since he's been drafted, just that when cincy was winning, everybody LOVED chad johnson. granted he's gone too far now that he's rubbed carson('s lovers) the wrong way and alienated all of his sympathizers, but somewhere corey dillion is egging chad on, kissing his NE championship ring, and smiling.

Nah, you'll probably end up with a rook behind center, whether it's Ryan falling to you or picking up Brohm or Flacco in the 2nd round. In a related story, ESPN has a SportsNation poll showing that 33% of respondents think that McNair is a Hall of Famer. I'm a little surprised by that. Dude had a very good career, but he's certainly not an all-time great in my mind. I assumed that was the general consensus: just very good.

Dolphins sign Jake Long.

St. Louis is on the clock.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Running back to 31 NFL teams:

"I am released from my prior obligations. You welcome my services."

The running back? Shaun Alexander.

The story? Here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived