Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

Owning Packers stock had a strange effect on me - I grew an extra set of eyes in the back of my head and I can now read the thoughts of calico cats

Really? Huh, I guess I should look into some Packers stock next time it comes available; is it only calico cats this works with or would I be able to sneak into the head of, say, a Siamese?

My best guess is it happened in high school shortly after I sacrificed a blue ribbon winning goat I found at the county fair to Blitzen, the most evil of Santa's reindeer

Forget Blitzen, it's Comet you gotta watch out for. That one's real sneaky!

I ended up leaving my buddy alongside the road in New Castle PA. He was drunk and annoying me. He still hasn't been found

That's the kind of thing you're probably best off not talking about.

See, at least someone reads all this :P

1. So far, it's just calicos. But it's too early to know the long term effects of these things.

2. Yeah, Comet is sneaky but Blitzen is one stone cold, evil reindeer. Blitzen doesn't even attempt to hide his true nature.

3. Thanks. It's nice to know someone does.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Growing up as an Army brat, people come by their favorite teams in a myriad of different ways (as is evidenced by the fact that I only have one team in common with both my brothers).

Pro Hockey/Nashville Predators – I, like most people my age, had a brief love affair with hockey during the 90’s due to the Mighty Ducks and D2. At the time, my family was living in Augsburg, Germany, which happens to be home to one of Europe’s oldest hockey clubs, the Augsburger Panther. My first exposure to live-action hockey was awesome, and I got really into it for a couple of years until my family relocated to Arizona in early 1997. Living nearly four hours from Phoenix in the 90’s, there was essentially no opportunity to get involved with hockey, and I was the only member of my family interested, so my interest in the sport dissipated rather quickly. After returning from a deployment in Afghanistan to Fort Campbell, KY in 2011, a family friend with season tickets gave me a pair as a welcome home gift. They were in the all-inclusive section and the beer and food was free. It was an awesome reintroduction to the game, I’ve been a die-hard Preds fan ever since.

College Hockey/Bemidji State Beavers – As I’m currently living in town and attending BSU, I’ve really gotten into following their hockey program.

College Football/Tennessee Volunteers – I’ve never really gotten into pro football, despite going to a few games with friends while living in Nashville. I inherited this fandom from my father, who grew up in Tennessee. Going to high school in Arizona, we had two flagpoles in the yard, one for the American flag, and another, smaller one for a bright orange UT flag. My father would fly it at half-mast for two days whenever the Vols lost an SEC football or bowl game (I’m dead serious).

College Basketball/Arizona Wildcats – I’ve never been that into basketball, and the bit I do watch is always UofA, primarily from living in their fanbase area during their early 2000’s glory days. I primarily watch and root for them during March Madness.

Baseball/Arizona Diamondbacks – When I played little league, my team was the Yankees. Living in Germany and being the son of a man who didn’t really have a favorite baseball team, they just became who I followed, made easier by the lineup they had in the latter half of the 90’s and early 2000’s. In college, my girlfriend was a die-hard BoSox fan. That was literally the only thing that ever started fights between us. When we decided to move in together, we agreed to make our apartment a Yankees & Red Sox free zone and follow the Diamondbacks together, and we did, for two seasons. We eventually broke up when I realized that I had no interest in ever having kids, but the new team stuck, for both of us. She even wound up marrying a guy who played for them.

Soccer/Korea (primary) & Germany (secondary) – I really only get into the World Cup, but I get pretty into rooting for South Korea. I was living with my Dad in Korea when Korea hosted, and got really into it with a bunch of my friends. We all wore our “Be the Reds” shirts and went to watch Korea beat Spain. I always follow them during the Group matches, then root for Germany after they get eliminated, to stay invested.

Lacrosse/Boston Cannons – The only MLL game I’ve been able to attend was while visiting aforementioned girlfriend’s family in Massachusetts. We went to watch the Cannons play the New Jersey Pride (her cousin was playing for the Cannons at the time). I’ve been a fan of the Cannons ever since.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Done this before, but hey I'll do it again.

Main Teams

Pittsburgh Steelers, Pirates, And Penguins: My father's whole family is from Western PA and he was born in Pittsburgh. They grew up Pittsburgh fans, so did he, so have I.

Miami Hurricanes: Parents grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They became fans in the early 80s. Been a fan my whole life.

Atlanta Hawks: Only local team that is my favorite in a sport. Been watching them since 2010, so don't accuse me of bandwagoning.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Forgot about some teams

Chelsea FC: Favourite in the English league because my friend liked them, and i was just getting into pro soccer at the time with l'OM and wanted an English team so took his

FC Köln: Friend at the time lived there, so, again, took his team.

Adelaide Crows: YOU know, i jsut tried to start watching the AFL and footy this year and liked the Crows stripes. With no real connection to Australia, best i could do haha

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Since I apparently didn't post in any of the merged iterations of this:

Dodgers/Angels: I'm admittedly a fan of both. I got both from my dad since on the one hand he was the Dodger fan that snuck the transistor radio under his pillow to hear Vin call Koufax's perfect game but on the other his grandfather took him to see the Angels at Wrigley Field and he still has the 1962 starting lineup memorized. I've kind of ebbed and flowed between the two at times. The Dodgers were in the lead until Fox took over and traded away everyone which drove me towards the Angels when they were still in their periwinkle nightmare uniforms. I was able to ride the 2002 title year as a non-bandwagon fan (even to the point that I almost got kicked out of a marching band competition for cheering during a performance after listening to the Game 6 comeback on the radio in the stands). Now though, with Scioscia being Scioscia, Arte overpaying on stiffs, and marrying a diehard Dodger fan with a father-in-law giving me some of his season tickets, I've been pushed way over to the Dodger side. Hell, we named our beagle Koufax for the love of God.

Kings: Hockey's my 1B to baseball's 1A. I've been going to King games since they still wore the Chevy logo at the Forum. I even remember the exact place I was when listening on my parents' car radio that McSorley's stick was caught. It also helps that I live in the South Bay which is where all the players live and where the practice facility is so I'd almost have to be banished from the neighborhood if I wasn't a King fan. To further tie in everything, I proposed to my wife on a night we had King tickets so we could celebrate at the game.

Loyola Marymount Basketball: Alumnus, former pep band member, username.

Saint Mary's College Basketball: wife's alma mater, only team in the WCC who has managed to take out Gonzaga.

Lakers: Been a fan most of my life, losing interest mainly because of Jim Buss being incompetent and all the Kobe related drama over the years. Drifting towards the Clippers but I'm not far along yet to consider myself a fan

Chargers: Siding with the closest thing I have as a local team. Not really fully invested at this point. I'm a free agent to whatever team not wearing silver and black moves here.

VmWIn6B.png

You could just read my signature, but I guess that's no fun...

College Team 1.0 - Alabama - I was bred to be an insane Alabama fan. My dad's side of the family is from there and he graduated from there in the late 70s. In the hospital room I was born in, an Alabama basketball game was on TV. I can't remember a time where I was not an Alabama fan, even during the DuBose and Franchoine eras. The opinion in my parent's house is that if you don't remember the Freddie Kitchens led Tide teams, you are a bandwagon fan.

College Team 2.0 - Appalachian State - Since Fall of '05 when I got accepted during my senior year of high school. I jumped on right before the national championship run and admittedly got spoiled that in my first two years in school, we won 2 national championships in football, had a hell of a run in men's basketball in 06-07 (should have made the tournament, and then got gypped with an away game at Ole Miss in the NIT), and oh yeah, beat Michigan at the Big House. I think that day was the day I was locked in to being a Mountaineer fan for life. I'm a "booster" and have had football season tickets since I graduated in 2010.

NFL - New York Jets - Probably the least "solid" of any of my fandoms, since I'm usually exhausted from watching college football from Thursday-Saturday. My dad was a Jets fan because of Joe Namath (Alabama connection), and I picked it up sadly. Plus Chad Pennington was my favorite player as I went up the ranks of playing football myself.

NBA - Atlanta Hawks - I grew up in Atlanta and we had season tickets at the Omni growing up. Dominique Wilkins was my idol growing up as opposed to Michael Jordan. When he got traded, my world was crushed. Though players like Mutombo and Steve Smith quickly filled the gap. I try to forget that the Lon Kruger era existed and that they passed on CP3 for Marvin Williams. Plus, what 6 year-old can resist the giant hawk jersey?

MLB - Atlanta Braves - Grew up in Atlanta and played baseball growing up, so it was kind of the default. I wore #10 in little league and Chipper Jones was my favorite player. One of my favorite memories as a kid was after moving to Delaware, my parents took us to a game when the Braves were in town. I (and my three siblings) have a ball signed by Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz. It's actually in my safe deposit box. My wife and I still go back for 2-3 series a year.

BPL - Everton - My newest fandom, as I got bit by the soccer bug last summer during the World Cup. I don't think I've missed a game the past two seasons. I'm not sure how I picked the Toffees, except for the fact Tim Howard plays for them. It just kind of happened.

Other teams:

UNC - my wife is/grew up as a fan of the Heels and it rubbed off. Doesn't hurt we live 20 minutes from campus and can usually get tickets cheap.

Carolina Hurricanes - I get free tickets through work. I like free.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I haven't posted here yet. Judging by my, screen name, location, and various avatars and sigs, you know who my favorite of all are, but here are a few more that you may not know...

Chicago Cubs: My mom was from Illinois, and we had cable when I was growing up, so got WGN too. I would watch Cubs games every afternoon during summer vacation. Harry Carry and Steve Stone along with Bob Uecker will always be the boys of summer to me. But when '98 came around, did times change! Although I did root for them this year, sucks that I did lol.

Nashville Pradators, Titans, and Sounds: My brother lives there so I adopted them. What was cool was for the longest time the Sounds were the Triple-A affiliate for the Brewers, so I got to see a game with future Crew members down there. And on the flip side. The Admirals are the Predators AHL affiliate. So there are and we're still local ties there. The Brewers new Triple-A affiliate is Colorado Springs now.

Toronto Blue Jays: not because of now, but I always liked there uniforms. And when Paul Molitor, my favorite Brewer signed with them I kinda followed him there too.

Minnesota Twins: Can't say a bad word about them or their fans. One of the best friendly rivalries out there. Was great when we were in the AL together and is great now as the "natural inter league" one too!

packchampionslfroh.png

First off is the Arizona Cardinals. I was born in Arizona, and I loved football growing up, so I naturally gravitated towards the Cardinals. Football is my favorite sport and the Cardinals are my team. I literally bleed my team's colors. First and foremost, I am a Cardinals fan.

Secondary to them is the Phoenix Suns. I didn't follow basketball very closely until about two years ago, but I remember early on in high school for me was when the Suns were in that last championship push with Nash, Stoudemire, and Grant Hill. They're obviously not as exciting as then, but Steve Nash is my all time favorite athlete in any sport and I have a buddy who helps out with the team's training camp every year, so my love for them persists.

Next is college football, where I love the Bayou Bengals. Geaux Tigers! My father is from Louisiana, and I have a lot of family out there - who've even got me on the field at Death Valley (not during the season, unfortunately) I even have a Fleur de lis tattooed on my forearm, but that's because of the family ties. The number of times I've been asked if I'm a Saints fan is getting out of hand by now.

I'm sort of obligated to root for UNM sports teams, being from New Mexico. It's the university I most recently attended and I went to high school with a couple guys on the football, basketball, and track teams. The basketball is pretty big locally, the atmosphere at the Pit is great, and I enjoy going to those games, but I don't love love the basketball (or college basketball in general really) The football team is generally garbage as well, though trending - slightly - up recently. It's more of an obligation, really.

I'm more of a casual baseball fan. I watch the World Series and that's about it. That being said, I'm a Diamondbacks fan. I went to my first game this year, a 1-0 loss to Pittsburgh but I really enjoyed the experience. I left that game with two new hats, and I'm not a hat person.

Hockey I know nothing about. I guess by default it would go the Coyotes because I love me some AZ. But I just recently moved to California, just north of Anaheim. One of the friends I made out here is a HUGE Kings fan, and hates the Ducks more than I hate Alabama or the Seahawks. He's already bought me Kings merch, and is trying to get me to go to a game, so I suppose that if I do ever start following hockey, I'll start rooting for the Kings because of this guy.

TL;DR Cardinals first. Everything else second.

Geographically closest to Minneapolis and Winnipeg for professional teams. Don't dislike their teams but never have been a big fan of either city's teams.

NHL: At one time is was the Flyers because when I started watching as a kid they won the cup. Then it was the Leafs because back then that's about all you could get on t.v. plus my dad is a Leafs fan. Changed to the Sabres and Nordiques sometime in the Ballard era; when the Nordiques moved my alliagiance didn't go with them. Not entirely sure why I chose those 2 teams - likely chose them after watching some games on t.v. plus likely liked the uniforms and logos.

CFL: West - Saskachewan. East - Hamilton. Underdog choices??

MLB: Was the Jays until they lost that series against the Royals in back in 1985. Changed to the Mariners - at least partially because I watched a game or two and saw Buhner and liked him. For the National league was somewhat of an Expos fan. Likely leaning back towards the Jays with Buhner long retired, and Jays easiest games to get on t.v. the rare time I watch.

NFL: No real strong alliagence right now. No one team I particularly cheer for, but there's a few teams that I disliked in my childhood that I stangely have kept the same distaste for after all this time.

U.S. College: Not being from the states and only visiting on rare occassions it's not something that interests me the vast majority of times. If there was some college hockey game/tournament on t.v. would choose the closest to me UMD or as second choice Minnesota to root for.

On the lower level it's the local teams for baseball and hockey - Border Cats of the Northwood League & Lakehead University Thunderwolves.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Only really like the MLB so.....

LA Angeles:

Fell for them back when Vlad was around. followed them ever since. Also loved those beautiful sleevless jerseys

Toronto Blue Jays:

Grew up 45 minutes east of Toronto, so kind of the so called "home team".

Milwaukee Brewers:

The only team in the MLB, that took a chance on a 78mph pitcher from Canada, they invited me to scouting camps every summer. Really emphasized mental toughness as a key strategy of the game, and to this day I still think baseball is the most mentally strenuous sport out there.

SIG.png

NFL: Detroit Lions- My dad's family came from Michigan originally and he brought us up as die-hard Lions fans. When I was little, he used to scare us into rooting for them by "threatening" to take our candy away. Ironically, as I got older I grew to love the team of my own choosing, and I guess it just stuck.

My second team would be the Broncos, for some reason my family's always followed them as the second team....and they certainly win more often.

College football: I don't follow it much, but when I do I go into Michigan Wolverine mode. You can imagine my disappointment recently :rolleyes:

Hockey: I follow I local team called the Elmira Jackals. My grandma took me to a few games and got me hooked.

Soccer: USA of course. Particularly the women's team. But I like watching Cameroon, we have friends from there.

Not really a baseball fan, and I don't watch basketball as much as I enjoy playing it.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

Titans, Predators, Vanderbilt, Crew- Geography (Crew is as close as it gets for me and I really wanted to support MLS)

My family is from St. Louis (Cardinals)

I won't explain USMNT that's obvious

My friends from Germany are Bayern fans and influenced me.

A friend convinced me to follow Man City.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Nationals- Location. I'm from the DC area.

Capitals- Originally, they were my favorite NHL team because they were from DC, and I follow all the other DC teams. I started to follow them more in the past few years.

Wizards- Again, location. It only makes sense for me to be a fan of DC's NBA team.

• 1 month later...

Thought this would be fun:

Cleveland Cavaliers- Only home-state basketball team, I became a fan when I was about 5.

Cleveland Browns: Parents were fans of the Browns, and couldn't cheer for my Grandpa's team (the Bengals) because of those god awful uniforms

Cleveland Indians: This ones a bit different. I don't follow the MLB as closely as I used to, and my interest began to wane in about 2012. I switched from the Reds to the Tribe for someone reason (most likely to unify my liking of all Cleveland teams)

Columbus Crew: Home state soccer team, attended my first professional sports game in Crew stadium

Ohio State Buckeyes: Basically everyone in my area is an Ohio State fan, and it came natural.

Dayton Flyers: I became a fan in about second grade when my friend had an uncle on the team. He got us tickets, which included a tour of the locker room. It was pretty sweet, so I've called UD my second college team since.

Tottenham Hotspur: This ones funny. When I first got FIFA (I think 13), I went straight to the Premier League due to the poor ratings of the MLS squads. In a sea of Uniteds, FCs, etc; Tottenham Hotspur, with a weird bird on its shirts, appealed to me. The various former U.S. internationals helped, and NBC promoting the Premier League with Ted Lasso as coach of Spurs really cemented my Spurs love, and I would consider them my favorite team in all sports.

Borussia Dortmund: I was looking for a team that I knew wouldn't be relegated (too hard to follow) but didn't want anything to do with Bayern. I experimented with Wolfsburg, Leverkusen and BVB, and they stuck. Aubameyang is currently my favorite player of all sports.

USMNT is basically self explanatory.

spacer.png

In order of most favorite:

Oklahoma Sooners

"There's only one Oklahoma!" I go to every football home game.

Arsenal

As my sig says, I got Fifa 10 for the wii. It was my first soccer game, and so I clicked 'A' a bunch of times and hopped into the game.

Oklahoma City Thunder

I think that the Oklahoma City Hornets gave me my love for sports logos and uniforms. I was a Hornets fan until the Thunder came, then they changed their logos and I was done with them. I go to lots of Thunder games too.

PSG

I loved them since the last World Cup and I found these animated videos of Zlatan Ibrahimovic called 'I am Zlatan' and thought they were funny.

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."