Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

Born and raised in Utah, I've always been a Jazz fan. It's a frustrating way of life sometimes - usually consisting of sub-par seasons, painfully longing for the Finals days and missing the heck out of "Stockton to Malone", and our best players eventually bolting for larger markets - but I'll always love 'em. I hope I live to see the day they win the Finals. Even if I'm 99 at that point, I'll be right in the thick of the surely ensuing impromptu parade in SLC when that happens.

In the NFL, I've been a huge Colts fan for many years. My favorite player as a kid was Peyton Manning, and I just figured naturally I might as well root for the whole team if I was going to root for him anyways. Even after he left, I'd been a Colts fan for 10+ years by that point, so there was no way I was leaving 'em.

In the MLB, I've been a very casual Dodger "fan", really only because that's always been my Grandpa's favorite team. I don't get extremely into them though. I've got a lot of family from Seattle and I loved Griffey as a kid, so I naturally like the Mariners a lot as well. I attended Iwakuma's no hitter this summer at Safeco, and that was my first MLB game I've ever attended, so the Mariners will always have a special place in my heart for that reason as well. That was an awesome, electric experience.

I don't really have an NHL team personally. Used to like the Mighty Ducks as a kid, and really got into them during their 2003 Cup run, but after their horrific rebrand it felt like they didn't even exist anymore. Sounds dumb I know, but I lost any interest in them after that. So I guess you could say I'm a fan of 1993-2006 Mighty Ducks, but also really anyone that isn't Detroit or New Jersey.

In College Sports, I've become a big Ole Miss fan (which is the inspiration behind my user name, the "Fins Up" slogan behind the "Landshark Defense"). I served a two-year mission for the LDS Church in Mississippi and absolutely fell in love with the place. It's pretty much my second home, so I naturally adopted the Rebels and root for them even above the Utah teams. If I do root for a local school though, it's usually Utah State.

And in the MLS, it's Real Salt Lake for hometown reasons.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Born, raised and still live on Vancouver Island, so the BC Lions are my CFL team by default. As are the Canucks in the NHL. I used to be a Leaf fan in hockey (they were good when I was a kid), but they screwed my favorite player around (Dave Keon) and I've had no use for them since. In the NFL I like the Green Bay Packers - they were the team to watch when I was young, and in MLB I like the Cardinals and Athletics. I just like the Cardinals because they do it right and the Athletics were a very good team when I was growing up (World Series titles is 72,73 and 74) and a lot of players from those teams played for the Vancouver Mounties on their way to the big leagues.

Green Bay Packers: Due to family ties (lots of Packer-fan relatives) and living among Cheeseheads for several years. Plus, I'm a shareholder now.

Arsenal: My London-born brother-in-law (who supports Fulham) comes from a family of Gooners. More critically, Arsenal was just moving from Highbury into Emirates Stadium right at about the time I was looking for an English side to adopt, so I figured it would be an ideal time to get on board.

Colorado Mammoth (not on my sig, yet): The NLL team I have adopted in place of the Minnesota Georgia Swarm.

CCSLC signature.png

• 1 month later...

Eagles: Grew up in and live in Pennsylvania. I decided I don't like Pittsburgh. That was that.

Phillies: See above.

Penn State: The Particular part of PA i'm from is central. Just a county over from State Collage. Natural Fandom.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

I live around the Dayton area in Ohio. So my teams are mainly because of geography but that's not the only reason. I like the Dayton Flyers for basketball and Ohio State for football at the college levels. Ive always liked the Buckeyes but I've taken a liking to Flyers basketball. I also like the Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Cavs, Cincinnati Reds, and Columbus Crew SC. However I'm starting to like the Indians more than the Reds after some horrible trades. I used to bandwagon the Heat when LeBron left but started liking the Cavs again when he returned. I also have bandwagoned Peyton Manning following him with the Colts and then the Broncos when the Bengals were doing terrible. I went back to the Bengals a couple years ago now that they have AJ Green and a much better team. I'm gonna stay loyal geographically for now on to stop being an idiot bandwagon.

image.png

NFL Cleveland Browns

MLS Columbus Crew SC

MLB Cleveland Indians

NHL Columbus Blue Jackets

USHL Youngstown Phantoms
PL Butler BlueSox

NYPL Mahoning Valley Scrappers

NCAA D-1 Ohio State

NCAA D-1 Youngstown State

NCAA D-3 Thiel

Others:

AFL Cleveland Gladiators

AHL Lake Erie Monsters

ECHL Wheeling Nailers

EL Erie SeaWolves*

NBA Cleveland Cavaliers

NCAA D2 Slippery Rock

*-Follow the Indians farm teams, but really cheer for Erie to do well. Went to a lot of their games. Jerry Uht Park is one of the best small minor league stadiums. Even if they are a Tigers affiliate.

NBA- San Antonio Spurs (been a fan since the beginning of the Tim Duncan era).

NFL- Green Bay Packers (since 89 Majik Man).  Baltimore Ravens are my secondary team.

MLB- St. Louis Cardinals

NCAA- Iowa, Iowa State, Florida, Clemson (in football), Illinois, UNI, UConn, Syracuse, etc. too many to choose from.

NHL- Don't have one.

• 1 month later...

The club is a charter member of the American League, one of four clubs still located in its original city. It was established as a charter member in 1901. The Tigers are the only team in Major League Baseball to have a color on their road uniforms that is not on their home uniforms (orange).

• 3 weeks later...

MLB: Pirates(geographical location)

NFL: Steelers(^)

NHL: Penguins(^^)

NBA: Thunder(no particular reason)

MLS: Vancouver(my uncle lives in Vancouver)

Premier League: Manchester City( no particular reason)

NCAA-DI: WVU, even though I'm a fan of Pittsburgh teams, I'm a Mountaineer, bleed blue & gold, die hard! My mom is from WV and my grandparents live their. My grandpa went their.

NCAA-DII: Glenville State(Grandparents live near here)

NCAA-DIII: Marietta(mom went their)

IxkieML.png

• 2 weeks later...

Miami Dolphins:. As a young boy, I played for a rec league team named the Dolphins.  I was just learning the game of football and I just started following the Miami Dolphins who were becoming pretty darn good In the early 70's.  I have been a loyal fan ever since.

New York Mets:. I always loved their colors and my then hometown hosted a Single A Mets team for a number of years.  The Lynchburg Mets with players like Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Wally Backman, and Lenny Dykstra were labeled "America's Best" as they had the hghest winning percentage in professional baseball in the early 80's.

Kansas Jayhawks Basketball: KU gave me full tuition while earning one of my degrees there and I love college basketball.

FC Barcelona:. I love the colors and the history

D.C. United: the one regional pro team I adopted as it presented no conflicts with other loyalties

Liverpool FC: influenced by my love of The Beatles

All Boston teams except New England: My Dad is a Massachusettes native and a Boston sports fan who permanently relocated to Virginia in the late 50's (pre-Pats).

Interesting Note: Now living 90 miles from D.C., I gave brief consideration to following the Washington Nationals as a second team, but my life-long affection to The Mets just made that impossible.

As someone who has never permanently resided in a major league area, my loyalty typically lies with a franchise and not to the home city (no offense intended to those cities).  Despite my love of NYC (the greatest city on Earth), I am a Mets fan, not a New Yorker.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 12/31/2015 at 2:45 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Born and raised in Utah, I've always been a Jazz fan. It's a frustrating way of life sometimes - usually consisting of sub-par seasons, painfully longing for the Finals days and missing the heck out of "Stockton to Malone", and our best players eventually bolting for larger markets - but I'll always love 'em. I hope I live to see the day they win the Finals. Even if I'm 99 at that point, I'll be right in the thick of the surely ensuing impromptu parade in SLC when that happens.

In the NFL, I've been a huge Colts fan for many years. My favorite player as a kid was Peyton Manning, and I just figured naturally I might as well root for the whole team if I was going to root for him anyways. Even after he left, I'd been a Colts fan for 10+ years by that point, so there was no way I was leaving 'em.

In the MLB, I've been a very casual Dodger "fan", really only because that's always been my Grandpa's favorite team. I don't get extremely into them though. I've got a lot of family from Seattle and I loved Griffey as a kid, so I naturally like the Mariners a lot as well. I attended Iwakuma's no hitter this summer at Safeco, and that was my first MLB game I've ever attended, so the Mariners will always have a special place in my heart for that reason as well. That was an awesome, electric experience.

I don't really have an NHL team personally. Used to like the Mighty Ducks as a kid, and really got into them during their 2003 Cup run, but after their horrific rebrand it felt like they didn't even exist anymore. Sounds dumb I know, but I lost any interest in them after that. So I guess you could say I'm a fan of 1993-2006 Mighty Ducks, but also really anyone that isn't Detroit or New Jersey.

In College Sports, I've become a big Ole Miss fan (which is the inspiration behind my user name, the "Fins Up" slogan behind the "Landshark Defense"). I served a two-year mission for the LDS Church in Mississippi and absolutely fell in love with the place. It's pretty much my second home, so I naturally adopted the Rebels and root for them even above the Utah teams. If I do root for a local school though, it's usually Utah State.

And in the MLS, it's Real Salt Lake for hometown reasons.

I'm an Ohioan, but I was a Jazz fan in the '90s due to Stockton, Malone, and Hornacek. I got a purple Malone jersey right before they rebranded in '96, and I still have it. It's the only NBA jersey I've ever owned.

• Like 1

NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers

MLB: Cincinnati Reds. In the AL the closest thing I have to a team is Minnesota.

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals. I also sort of liked the Lions with Calvin Johnson, and also with Barry Sanders, but that was more the players, not the team. I root a little bit for the Giants because I love their helmets and quirky red-heavy road jerseys and Eli Manning and OBJ.

NHL: Blue Jackets, sort of, but if not them, then the Islanders, because I've always liked the name. I'm not a huge hockey fan.

MLS: Crew, though I don't watch soccer much at all

College: Ohio State, naturally, since I'm both an Ohioan and a two-time OSU alumnus (B.A. and Master of Education).

On 12/23/2015 at 8:18 PM, mattb6 said:

Cleveland Browns: Parents were fans of the Browns, and couldn't cheer for my Grandpa's team (the Bengals) because of those god awful uniforms

I'm a Bengals fan, but I hear ya about those unis. Every year I hope it's the year they finally drop the stupid mid-00s side panels and terrible number font, and every year they don't. I love the tiger stripes everywhere, though. Especially on that awesome helmet.

• Like 1

Here are my favorite teams:

NFL: Indianapolis Colts- I've been supporting the Colts as long as I've been alive and the Manning era solidified my love for the Colts. My favorite all-time Colts are Peyton Manning and Bob Sanders (for his heart on every play). I suffered through constant playoff losses in the early 2000's and then the Colts finally beat the Patriots in the 2006 AFC Title game (still had memories about Marlin Jackson's INT) and won the Super Bowl. Even when Peyton left, my support hasn't waviered at all.

Minnesota Vikings- I support the Vikings as my #2 team is that the Vikes fit what I like in a #2 team and of course, Teddy Bridgewater.

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays- I have been a Rays fan even before 2008, but was too shy about it due to the bandwagoning Red Sox fans (and their futility). When 2008 happened, I finally showed my true support for them when they made it to the World Series (and then lost :(). I've always loved the way the Rays keep winning despite their lower payroll against AL East rivals especially Boston and New York. So my favorite Ray is easily Evan Longoria because he has meant so much to the Rays franchise (2011 Game 162 comes to mind) and is the first true "superstar" the franchise has had. I've also like Kevin Kiermaier and Chris Archer. Even though I have been to a Rays spring training game and to Tropicana Field (in a tour), I still haven't been to a regular season game in St.Pete.

Cincinnati Reds- Closest MLB team to where I live and been to a few of their games.

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins- I am a huge fan of Sidney Crosby and Mario Lemieux (and also their history).

NBA: Orlando Magic- I was already drawn to the Magic due to players like McGrady and Dwight Howard in addition to staying in Orlando during spring break when I was little so I was constantly watched the Magic. Also, I love the old Orlando Magic uniforms that they wore in the 1990's by stars like Shaq and Penny Hardaway. My favorite player from the Magic is Nikola Vucevic with Penny Hardaway and Victor Oladipo in the Top 3. Finally, I went to see a game in Orlando on March 29 of this year and the atmosphere was great actually (even if it was against the Nets).

NCAA: Louisville Cardinals- When you live in Kentuckiana (area in Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky), you either pick Louisville or Kentucky (especially in basketball). So I chose Louisville and looking back, I have made the right choice and been to many UofL sporting events even if I didn't attend there. My favorite UofL athletes are Russ Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, and Jeff Thompson (attended my high school actually).

Minor League teams: Louisville Bats- Local professional baseball team in Louisville and I attend as many games as I can.

Louisville City FC- Local soccer team and I desperately want to attend a soccer game there.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm an Ohioan, but I was a Jazz fan in the '90s due to Stockton, Malone, and Hornacek. I got a purple Malone jersey right before they rebranded in '96, and I still have it. It's the only NBA jersey I've ever owned.

Awesome! That's a great jersey to have! ;) 

And yeah, those three were something else. My favorite sports memories as a kid are pretty much monopolized by those late 90's Jazz teams. Still gets me down thinking they never could get a ring, haha. Dang MJ. :P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png