Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

Big 4

NFL

My favorite sports team, now and forever: The Carolina Panthers! Being from Charlotte, I became a fan (of sports in general, actually) right around the magical 15-1 season. Cam Newton is my favorite athlete right now, and the team just has so much fun. Not to mention, the branding is on point. (On that note, screw you Atlanta.)

NBA

The Charlotte Hornets. Hometown team, excellent logos and colors. Kemba Walker is an outstanding athlete and person, and even though the team seems to have the worst luck I've ever seen (George Shinn, LJ and Zo hating each other, Bob Johnson, MJ, 2012 NBA Draft [that thing was rigged. You can't tell me otherwise.]). My hate for New Orleans runs deep (Saints and Hornicans) and I will never stop loving this team.

MLB

The Baltimore Orioles. My parents are from Baltimore so with Charlotte not having a major league team I'm stuck with the O's for the foreseeable future. The team sucks, and will suck for many years to come but I'll stick with 'em.

NHL

Since Charlotte doesn't have a team (F*** Raleigh), I passively follow both the Carolina Hurricanes and the Vegas Golden Knights. I love the sport and really want to find a major league team for me but I can't connect to anyone just yet.

Honorable Mentions

I also follow the Baltimore Ravens (Baltimore connection), the Minnesota Timberwolves (fantastic branding) and have committed to following the reincarnation of the Seattle SuperSonics, whenever that may be.

Minor League

Baseball

Triple-A

The Charlotte Knights. Not much to say, they're the team in Charlotte. They have excellent Queen City Knights alts (screw off Cincinnati) and the stadium is always packed, even though the team currently sucks.

Double-A

Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. No reason, just the name.

High A

Winston-Salem Dash. My sister went to school in Winston-Salem, so there's a small connection.

Low A

Asheville Tourists. My grandparents live near there, so I've been to a few games, and it's a lot of fun.

Hockey

AHL

Charlotte Checkers. Local team, games are great, and there's Bojangles at the stadium. That's enough for me.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

A couple years ago I wanted to get into the CFL so I mentioned the league in a tweet asking which team I should root for since I'm a new fan. I actually got a lot of feedback, with the CFL's help, from all nine teams. I ultimately chose BC and even bought a shirt to show support, but now I'm slightly finding myself liking Winnipeg.

Homer alert. Deal with it!

• NFL: Washington Redskins
  • NBA: Washington Wizards
  • MLB: Washington Nationals
  • NHL: Washington Capitals
  • MLS: D.C. United
  • Overseas Soccer: Western Sydney Wonderers (A-League). Copa90 videos about this club won me over
  • P5 NCAA Football: University of Maryland and members of the pre conference realignment ACC and Big East. Except for Miami and West Virginia.
  • Mid Major NCAA Football: Marshall, Temple & Cincinnati
  • NCAA FCS Football: All members of the MEAC, Towson, Georgetown & Penn
  • NCAA D1 Basketball: Maryland and Georgetown
  • NCAA Division 2 Sports: All members of the CIAA, Shepherd University, University of the District of Columbia & Frostburg State University
  • NCAA Division 3 Sports: Salisbury University, Catholic University, Gallaudet University and Johns Hopkins University
  • Junior College: Prince George's Community College
  • Minor League Baseball: Bowie Baysox, Southern Maryland Blue Crabs & the Nationals' entire farm system
  • WNBA: Washington Mystics
  • Major League Lacrosse: Chesapeake Bayhawks

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 2 months later...

mlb: texas rangers and colorado rockies

and to a lesser extent: houston astros and san diego padres (parent club of our AA club here in amarillo)

nba: dallas mavericks and charlotte hornets

nfl: carolina panthers and houston texans

nhl: dallas stars, carolina hurricanes and colorado avalanche

mls: houston dynamo and colorado rapids

ncaa: (d-I) north carolina tar heels, new mexico lobos, texas tech red raiders, uc santa barbara gauchos. (d-II) west texas a&m buffaloes.

milb: (AAA) albuquerque istotopes

local:

nahl: amarillo bulls

texas league: amarillo tba (name has yet to be announced)

reasons? I was born in north carolina, have lived most of my life in texas, have ties to new mexico and denver is close enough to where I live that a lot of people root for denver teams here. plus I've been to a few rox and avs games and have always more or less supported those teams since they began.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • NFL: Oakland Raiders & Seattle Seahawks (lived in Wa state for awhile and love the latest uniform and colors), LA Rams (to show solidarity to the wife when my teams are not playing them).
  • MLB: AZ Dbacks (home team), Toronto Blue Jays (fell in love with the 92' & 93' World Series teams when i was a kid),Boston Red Sox (wife's team to show solidarity) and I for various reasons i kind of like the Astros and Cardinals.  
  • NHL: Detroit Red Wings & Arizona Coyotes (home team worked at the arena for awhile - I have not been able to get into them since the rumors of moving and losing millions has come about, if they announced they were staying forever I would be willing to jump on board), 
  • Overseas Soccer: Flamengo (Brazil), I have not been able to latch onto a European big club, World Cup (Brazil & Mexico)
  • NCAA: Boise State University (alum) & University of Arizona Wildcats (living in Arizona)
  • Liga Mexican del Pacifico (Mexican winter league ball): Yaquis de Obregon
  • Liga Norte de Mexico (Mexican summer league rookie ball): Tiburones de Puerto Penasco (I vacation quite frequently in this tiny mexican beach town just 4 hours from Tucson,AZ & met spouse here.)

NFL: Chicago Bears...and Green Bay Packers.  My family is mostly Bears fans, and that's who I mainly watched until 3rd or 4th grade.  My friends, by contrast, are mostly Packers fans with some Cowpokes and Vikes mixed in.  I loosely follow the Oilers/Titans and Eagles (stemming from Moon and Cunningham, respectively), and during the Bledsoe era, also followed the Pats somewhat, though not since Mr. Overrated took over.

MLB: Chicago Cubs, also loosely follow the Mariners and Twins.

NBA: Milwaukee Bucks...the only pro game I've ever gone to was a Bucks game.  Still have the ticket stub.  Used to follow the Sonics a bit, but as far as basketball goes now, I only watch the Bucks, TBT and Big 3.

If they'd moved, I would have either switched to the Knicks or/and sworn off basketball for good.. I swear man, it's like every other thing the Knicks do nowadays is doomed to fail miserably.

NHL: Colorado Avalanche... basically, I'd decided to pick an NHL team in the summer of 95.  For some reason, even though I liked JR and Chelios, I never felt the Blackhawks were for me.  Lo and behold, the Nordiques had moved and changed their name...and damn if the end result wasn't pretty.

FCS college football: Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Wisconsin Badgers...ND was the first team I really followed on my own, and UW's 93 team featured three Racine starters.

Division 3 college: UW Whitewater Warhawks...I went there for a year and a half.  Loved it there.  Was a Perkins Stadium regular a few years before they became That Other Purple Team You Got Sick of Seeing in the Stagg Bowl.

CFL: Toronto Argonauts and Baltimore Stallions

Indoor soccer: Milwaukee Wave

Arena football: original Nashville Kats, original Milwaukee Mustangs, Iowa Barnstormers, Orlando Predators

Australian football: Essendon Bombers...and, depending on the time, Geelong Cats, Fremantle Dockers, and/or Adelaide Crows.  Carlton and Collingwood can get bent...come to think of it, so can WCE.

regular soccer: admittedly I only follow it loosely, but Arsenal.

college baseball: in recent years, surprisingly enough, TCU Horned Frogs...though since my boy Luken Baker's now in some crappy team's minors, not sure if I'll stick with em.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite sport is easily hockey. Always has been always will be. I can’t afford to play the sport, and if I had to choose my favorites to play it would be lacrosse/basketball.
Favorite players:
Hockey-
Team: Detriot Red Wings
Players: Mike Madano, Nick Lindstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Wayne Gretsky

Basketball-
Team: OKC Thunder
Players: Reggie Miller, Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, Allen Iverson, Kevin Durant

Football-
Team: San Diego Chargers
Players: Walter Payton, Ladaminon Tomilson, Peyton Manning,
Dan Fouts

Lacrosse-
NLL Team: Tornto Rock
MLL Team: Hamilton Nationals
Players: Casey Powell, Mikey Powell, Ryan Powell, Brodie Merill, Paul Rabil

College-
THE Ohio State Buckeyes

Baseball-
Team: Los Angels Angels
Players: Tori Hunter, Barry Bonds, Mike Trout

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2014 at 10:55 AM, Brandon9485 said:

I was born and raised in Peoria IL, which is halfway between Chicago and St. Louis. A lot of my favorite teams came from my dad and most of them are local. I only cheer for one team that I do not have a geographic or academic ties to. I also like to bring up the fact that I was born in 1985, which were very good times for some of these teams.

St. Louis Cardinals- Peoria is Cards/Cubs battleground. I grew up listening to my grandfather telling stories about Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter, while my dad talked about Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Ted Simmons. Ozzie Smith was probably the first pro athlete I ever recognized and became a fan of. Around the age of 9 I found a VHS tape on the Cardinals 100th anniversary and got tied up in the history of the team. One reason chose to go to undergrad at SIU-Edwardsville because I would be close to St. Louis and the Cards. As a broke college student I spent $400 I didn't have to get a brick outside of Busch Stadium with my name on it. I am a Cardinals fan above all else and always will be.

Chicago White Sox- "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." I began following the South Siders in 2000 when they were running towards a division crown. You might not believe this, but I told everyone I knew prior to the 2005 season that the Cards and White Sox would meet in the World Series and I was almost right. Peoria native Jim Thome's arrival only strengthened my ties to the team. Now if they'd only dump Hawk and learn how to build a minor league system...

Chicago Bears- No team has been more frustrating to watch in my lifetime, but I can't imagine cheering for anyone else but Da Bears.

Chicago Bulls- I can't say that I watch the NBA much anymore, but growing up in the mid-90s with Jordan and Pippen was a sports fan dream. I vaguely remember the first 3-peat but I do remember Jordan's retirement, comeback, and subsequent 3-peat repeat. I have a lot of nostalgia for the mid to late 90s NBA.

St. Louis Blues- I wasn't much of hockey fan growing up. The Blues had a minor league affiliate in Peoria but I didn't start paying attention until I was in STL for college. St. Louis has a well earned reputation as a baseball town, but when it gets cold they support the Blues good or bad and I admired that. Plus when the Blackhawks started winning cups it seemed like everyone and their mother became a Hawks fan overnight. That only strengthened my fandom for the Blues.

Liverpool FC- After the 2006 World Cup I started to take an interest in the EPL. Liverpool had a player with the same last name as me, and I had never seen a pro athlete with my last name before. That was enough to decide my fandom and I've been singing YNWA ever since.

NCAA

SIU Edwardsville Cougars- Went to undergrad there. They haven't been D-I for very long with no football team, but I'm looking forward to the day the mens basketball team makes the tourney for the first time

USC Trojans- I am a semester away from my masters from here. "Fight On" has become a personal motto. I am very proud to be a Trojan.

Illinois Fighting Illini- being an Illinois native, I believe that it's only right to cheer for the namesake state school.

Bradley University Braves- Peoria school. Some of my favorite memories with my dad are going to their games when they were a Missouri Valley basketball power in the 90s.

Chicago Fire- State team but if the MLS ever comes to St. Louis I'll probably jump ship since soccer is so big in that region.

Secondary teams I cheer for:

Washington Nationals/Capitals/DC United- I spent some time living in DC and tend to pull for these teams if they're playing.

Baltimore Orioles- I had a great uncle who lived in Maryland and I became a fan of Cal Ripken Jr. when he was going after 2131 consecutive games. My uncle told me he would take me to a game during the 1995 season when my family would be out there to visit. Sadly he died of a heart attack 2 months before we made it out there. Might sound sappy but when I finally made it to Camden Yards in 2011, I bought a ticket a for him.

Tampa Bay Rays- My mom, brother, and grandparents all live in the Tampa area. My brother is a Cubs fan so we were always giving each other a hard time growing up. The Rays have given us some common ground.

St. Louis Rams- I'll watch them if they're on.

I went back to see what I wrote for this thread. Most of it is the same, except for MLS. I never got into cheering for the Chicago Fire. The only MLS match I’ve been to was a DC United one and I had a great experience. I’ve been a fan ever since. I’ve also become a fan of LAFC. Their stadium sits on the site where my graduation from USC was held. Being next door to the Colessium and near campus, made them a natural team to cheer for.

I’m still waiting for MLS’s arrival in St. Louis. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Huh, I haven’t posted my teams in here so I guess I might as well. 

NFL:

Denver Broncos. They’re my dad’s favorite team and it’s how I was raised. Hell, I was named after Jake Plummer (even though he was at Arizona State when I was born, my dad really wanted him to replace John Elway after his retirement. Lucky he ended up in Denver eventually lol)

MLB:

New York Yankees. There’s no local team in Nebraska so I picked based on who I could watch on TV most often. Sue me. 

NCAA Sports:

UNO Mavericks. I’m at school there now.

Nebraska Cornhuskers. No explanation needed. Always cheer for UNO in head to head matchups though. 

Duke Blue Devils. I was 5 and after school I’d go to my grandparents’ house and when I got there they’d usually be watching reruns of The Dukes of Hazzard (Still one of my favorite TV shows, tbh) and when my dad asked me to fill out a bracket I picked Duke because I associated them with a good TV show. Here we are 14 years later and I’ve picked them 14 of 14 times 😂

NASCAR:

Always been a Tony Stewart fan. My uncle was too and he was who got me into racing during Tony’s 2005 championship season. Now that he’s retired I still support Stewart-Haas Racing, but for drivers, I’ve followed Chase Elliott since he was running ARCA and Ryan Blaney has such a fun personality that I really like him too. And as much as I hate to admit it, Kyle Busch has really grown on me the last two or three seasons. 

Other things of note:

Can’t get into the NHL. I enjoy watching UNO hockey games in person, but I can’t get myself to watch hockey on TV. 

I’ve moved away from the NBA in recent years. Was a Kobe Bryant fan back in the day, but the whole “super team” era really hurt my interest. I got back in a little more last year when the Lakers had a bunch of fun rookies, but when LeBron signed I jumped ship and haven’t seen a minute of the NBA since. No, I don’t miss it. 

For NCAA teams, I could easily put down a ton more schools if I counted every team I liked to some degree. Hell, I could put half the SEC just from family that went there. 

New around here, and just created my signature so I figured I'd go ahead and make my post explaining my mix of Missouri and Indiana fandom. I'm a Missourian, but I was born in Illinois and my very early childhood was in Southern Indiana.

St. Louis Cardinals: I was indoctrinated as a Cardinals fan by my uncle from the very beginning. The St. Louis Cardinals are the first thing I remember loving in life - particularly Ozzie Smith and Mark McGwire. So I actually was already a Cardinals fan when I lived in Clarksville, IN, right on the Ohio River north of Louisville. I remember a Louisville Cardinals basketball player visiting my first grade class and, being a kid, assumed they were just the basketball iteration of the St. Louis Cardinals. It wasn't until my family moved to Missouri that my love for Cardinals baseball fit into the rooting preferences of the people around me.

Indianapolis Colts: I didn't really become a football fan until about fifth grade, and at this point we already lived in SW Missouri, but my whole extended family really only cared about baseball so I had no natural rooting interests. My dad casually likes the Steelers and Penn State, but he's not really all that passionate about sports in the first place. The first NFL game I can remember watching was when the Rams lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That game piqued my interest in football (and my nascent hate of the Patriots), and by the next season I was a fully fledged Colts fan on account of my lingering fondness for Indiana and the spectacular play of Peyton Manning.

Indiana Pacers: I lived in Indiana and Indiana loves basketball and loves the Pacers. This one is self-explanatory for that reason.

St. Louis Blues: I'm a late comer to hockey. For most of my life hockey has been the only sport I didn't care about. I didn't like that I couldn't tell where the puck was when watching it on TV, hockey is NOT a good sport for radio, and the movement of players didn't make sense to me like it does in American football or soccer. However, I did live in the St. Louis area for two years while my wife worked on her graduate degree there, and my boss at the time was a rabid Blues fan and season ticket holder. He was generous enough to invite us to a couple of games and it was amazing in person, solidifying me as a Blues fan for life.

Missouri State Bears: I'm a Missouri State alum, both undergraduate and Masters. I was in Pride Marching Band for four years, attended every football game for six seasons there, nearly every men and women's basketball game, and my fair share of baseball and volleyball games as well. My passion for the Bears comes second only to my deep seated love for the Cardinals.

Indiana Hoosiers: My soul belongs to Missouri State as an alumnus, but my heart can't ignore the fact that I'm a lifelong Hoosiers fan from well before my college years. It's an easy dual fandom, as MO State and IU don't really cross paths, and one is FCS while the other is FBS. I'm inevitably heartbroken by IU football, but I watch it every season all the same.

Otherwise, I also root for the Indiana Fever and I'm eternally longing for an MLS team to come to St. Louis. I love Drum Corps International, and I'm a supporter of Phantom Regiment. For MiLB I also root for the AA Springfield Cardinals. I've probably been to more Springfield Cardinals games than games for any other team.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NHL, and also my favorite sport: Blue Jackets, Devils, and Islanders

MLB: Reds, Giants, and Mariners

NFL: Bengals, Browns, and a shifting rotation of Eagles and Bears

College: Oklahoma, Arkansas, and pretty much every team in greater Cincinnati.