Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

Ottawa Senators: When I was a little kid, I was a Leaf fan by default because my family was, and I live in Leaf territory. My favourite players were Wendel Clark, Felix Potvin and Damian Rhodes, and when all those players had left the team, I started to hate the Leafs and because a Senators fan because that's where Rhodes was playing. I also liked their black jerseys at the time (they were pretty bad-ass).

Toronto Blue Jays: I'm Canadian, I live near Toronto and they won the World Series when I was 4 and 5.

Los Angeles Clippers: I became a fan of the Clippers when Corey Maggette and Elton Brand were on the team... I liked the players, and that they were the underdog, and I actually got to see them on TV on a regular basis because I got their LA-based TV channel on my TV. For some reason, there were almost never any Raptors games on, but I could see almost every Clippers game.

Cincinnati Bengals: I seriously have no idea why I like them... it must be the underdog thing.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats: They're the local CFL team, and my aunt is a huge Ti-Cats fan. She's like 60, and when they play on TV, she always wears yellow and black tiger-stripe socks and jumps around the room for every touchdown. It creates quite the impression on a kid :P

Texas Longhorns: Colours, logo and King of the Hill. If they're good enough for Hank, they're good enough for me!

McMaster Marauders: They're the closest university to where I live that doesn't suck. I grew up a couple kilometers from Brock University, but anyone from my area will tell you that Brock doesn't exactly inspire respect.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Minnesota Twins - live in the Twin cities and I've been a fan my whole life. There has been ups and downs but I will always love them.

Baltimore Ravens- Don't really know why but i love this team. I guess its the colors or the logos, perhaps the players? I dont know. Can't forget about the Vikings though! I still like them.

Minnesota Wild- I live in the area and they have such a great following around here cause everybody loves hockey. Not old enough to really remember the North Stars. :(

Minnesota Timberwolves- Once again they are in my area. The best times were a couple years back when K.G. was still on the Wolves. I dont love them but I guess I like them enough to put them as my favorite team. I also like teams that are the only proffesional team in their city, like Portland, Salt lake City, Oklahoma City and San Antonio.

Wisconsin- they have been so succesful recently that it is hard to root against them. I also have family that went there and most of my relatives live in Wisconsin. I kinda like the U of Minnesota.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Los Angeles Dodgers: Local team.

Anaheim Angels: Localish, but really a fan of the stadium.

Los Angeles Kings: Never really liked hockey until my dad randomly asked if I wanted to go to a game. Saw them beat Phoenix in a shootout and was hooked ever since.

Indiana Pacers: I still don't know.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Air Force Falcons (NCAAF)

I really love how they play. The triple option is fun to watch and their defense is aggressive. It's worth noting that all players at Service Academies have to go through boot camp and conform to US Armed Forces fitness standards - that means no players over 265 lbs. Of course, that means players on the offensive and defensive lines are always playing at a weight disadvantage compared to teams they play against. But that's what makes me root for them all the more.

VCU Rams

Class of 2011.

Even then, I love how they play the game. Intense, full-court defense for 40 minutes. Shaka Smart calls it "Havoc". It's fun, exciting, and means that a score is never "out of reach" as long as there is time on the clock.

Washington Natinals

Natinals. No "o". But yeah, I live in the District. They play in the District.

Washington Redskins

Growing up in the '90s the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry actually meant something. Now the Skins are a farce owned by a petty miser with the maturity level of a seventh-grader who sics lawyers on anyone who dares to report the truth.

But I still hold out hope. Some day, the Skins will return to being one of the NFL's most revered and respected franchises instead of being a punch line.

Oklahoma City Thunder

Eric Maynor: VCU, Class of 2009. Also known as "The Dagger".

Washington Capitals

Because they're the only pro team in DC that has had success in recent years.

NHL - Vancouver Canucks. I used to be a Leafs fan until the screwed over my boyhood idol, Dave Keon.

NBA - When I was younger it was the Seattle Supersonics. I'm from British Columbia so now it is the Phoenix Suns. Steve Nash still plays for the Suns, right?

NFL - For nearly 50 years it has been the Green Bay Packers. Bart Starr was the MAN!!!

MLB - Lots of teams. Oakland Athletics (the Vancouver Mounties were their AAA farm team many years ago. A lot of players that played on the A's World Series teams from '72, '73, '74 played for the Mounties). I also like the Seattle Mariners, because they are the closest team to where I live. I've just finished reading a book about the '64 World Series between the Yankees and Cardinals and have come to the assumption that I have been a Cardinals fan all along. Tony LaRussa was also a member of those long-ago Vancouver Mountie teams.

NRL - some of you may wonder what the NRL is. It is National Rugby League, a rugby league competition in Australia and New Zealand. The sport is called rugby league. The sport most of you are familiar with is rugby union. They just had their World Cup. Rugby league is, in my opinion a faster, more athletic game. In fact, I prefer rugby league over all sports. My favorite team is the Parramatta Eels who were the best team in the competition when I was first introduced to league in the 1980's. I also like the South Sydney Rabbitohs. One of their owners is actor Russell Crowe. Crowe is trying to push rugby league onto the world stage, and I applaud him for that.

If there are any rugby league fans in this forum, especially if you are from Canada or the United States, I'd like to hear from you - maybe we can discuss the game. And if you're from British Columbia I'd really like to hear from you - maybe we can put together a BC rugby league fan club or something.

I nearly forgot - NCAA basketball. Any team from Indiana. Indiana Hoosiers, Indiana State Sycamores, Butler Bulldogs, Valparaison Vikings, Purdue Boilermakers and Notre Dame Fighting Irish to name a few.

I'm also a fan of high school basketball. I watch a lot here in British Columbia and I also follow Indiana high school basketball. My favorite BC team is my hometown Alberni Armada, although I liked it better when they were called the Chieftains. In Indiana my favorite team is the Anderson Indians, but there is a soft spot in my heart for the Milan Indians. In the movie Hoosiers, the team coached by Gene Hackman, the Hickory Huskers, were, in real life, the Milan Indians.

NHL-Vancouver Canucks: Local team, grew up watching them.

AHL-Abbotsford Heat: Local team, and the affiliation doesn't matter to me.

BCHL-Coquitlam Express: Went to games when I was young, and since they've moved back to Coquitlam, I've gone to almost every game. Closest team in any league to me.

CFL-BC Lions: Similar to the Canucks... local team, grew up watching them.

NLL-Washington Stealth: Closest team to me, most of the players are from BC.

MLB-Toronto Blue Jays: Canada's baseball team, and I was born near Toronto.

NWL-Vancouver Canadians: Local team.

• Like 1

Anaheim Ducks: Back in the early 2000's, I was rather young and didn't really follow sports yet, but I was aware of what was happening in the sports world. I was always a big fan of the jerseys and logo, and I happened to find them on tv from time to time.... In may of 2006, it was the playoffs and I was at a gas station going through the radio channels and I happened to find the Ducks game. I listened in and found it quite interesting. I then followed them a bit until they were eliminated. The next year, i bought NHL 07 and I started to learn the names of the players and I was actually a fan of the new uniforms. When the season came around, I watched every game I could. I finally convinced my Dad to take me to a game and I have been hooked ever since. I was never a total diehard untill the 09 playoffs, though. There isn't a day that goes by without me thinking about them.

LA Angels of Anaheim: I played little league when I was young, and they were the local team. I really started watching them religiously around 04, and I have been hooked ever since.

SD Chargers: went to my first game in 06, loved it. I loved LT and my fandom kept growing. I cried like a baby after the loss to the Pats in the playoffs that year.

USC football: My Dad loves USC, and he got me into it.

Arizona Cardinals: Loved Matt Leinart, and when be got drafted there, I became a fan. Even though he sucked, and eventually left, I remained a fan.

Houston Texans: I had family in Houston, so I rooted for the Houston teams too. I love the uniforms, I'm a big Brian Cushing fan, so I'm still a fan even though I don't have any ties to them anymore.

I wrote this on my phone, so sorry for any typos. I could have gone more in depth, but its hard to on a touchscreen.

-The Islanders and Mets fandom runs in the family, plus they're both Long Island (ok Queens is on geographic Long Island but not part of regional Long Island)

-Root for the Jets because they're a New York team and that's who I began to root for once my family moved back to Long Island (I was originally from New Hampshire but my parents were on the island before then). All of my mom's side of the family roots for the Giants, plus I've always liked them when watching NFC games, so they're my #2

-Syracuse for all college sports because I go there, in addition to being a big fan of them. Exceptions are Cornell for hockey due to a lack of men's hockey team at SU and any teams I've got friends on, though for the most part they're #2 behind SU in those cases.

-I'm a casual NBA guy, though I always was a Net fan. With the direction the Knicks are going, as well as the fact Carmelo Anthony's my favorite player due to Syracuse connections, I'm also rooting for them. Thus the reason for my sig

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

My dad is from Detroit and the family is in Michigan, so, for me, home teams rule. Further explanation:

NCAA

My family has always cheered for the University of Michigan Wolverines. Two of my cousins played in the band. Fab Five, Hail to the Victors, best helmets in football, 'nuff said.

NFL

Detroit Lions -- Initially, my dad's influence, yes, but watching Barry Sanders when I was a kid was so much fun. Since I started taking sports more seriously (11, 12 years old?) I've been a Lions fan. Previously, I liked the Cowboys, then the Raiders.

MLB

Detroit Tigers -- A relatively recent, conscious decision to cheer for the home team (and I love the old English "D"). I was a loyal Yankees fan for a very long time because I really enjoyed watching them in the '90s. The team was just so entertaining to watch (Yeah, yeah, I've heard the arguments about buying championships, blah, blah, blah, but, for me, I just enjoyed seeing a good team play well).

MLS

Hmm... I don't really follow soccer, but I supposed I'd have to choose between Chicago and Real Salt Lake. Chicago is geographically closest to my hometown, but I spent a large portion of my youth in Utah, so I'd be inclined to cheer for RSL.

NBA

This is tough one. I've rooted for a big three of teams:

Detroit Pistons -- My dad's influence, the home team, and I loved the Bad Boys and hated the Bulls.

Phoenix Suns -- Born in AZ, Barkley, KJ, Kidd, and to some extent, Nash.

Utah Jazz -- Where my fondest NBA memories lie. Stockton, Malone, Horney, Hot Rod and Booner, Jerry Sloan, listening to games on the radio whenever I could, watching games on KJZZ, watching the Bucks in person two years in a row via free tickets from the Junior Jazz program, the utterly heartbreaking back-to-back losses to Jordan. I still have a fondness for the Jazz, but being out of the state and with all of the above in the past, it's hard to really connect with the current incarnation of the team.

And that brings us to the NHL and one and only team that truly matters above all others:

THE Detroit Red Wings. Yeah, it started from my dad's Detroit connection to an extent, but I was the one who chose to love the team. I started following hockey and the Wings back in '94 and have been a rabid fan ever since. I don't need to list of the accomplishments the Wings have had during my fandom, but what a excellent two decades it's been. And, just for the record, the Wings could finish dead last in the NHL from now until I die, but I will still hold them above all other teams in all other sports. There's too much to be a fan of. Such a great tradition, great logo, simple, effective sweaters, some truly excellent memories, and I love hockey. The Hall of Famers (and even those who will never get there) that the Wings have had have been amazing to watch. There is nothing better than sitting down with a Little Caesar's Hot-and-Ready pepperoni pizza, some Crazy Bread, and a Vernors and watching a Red Wings hockey game.

Here's the most ironic thing of all:

Since my family was living in Utah at the time, if I'd gotten into hockey just one year later than I did, I would have become a deathly loyal Avalanche fan.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

From age 7 til about age 40 (I'm 45 now), I was a New York Yankees fan. I grew up in Ewing NJ, a suburb of Trenton, and my Dad would watch Yankees baseball on WPIX Channel 11. In the summer of 1974, he had me watch "Pride of the Yankees" on TV. I learned about Lou Gehrig and his life & legacy. That, coupled with my Dad being a Yankees fan is why I became a Yankees fan for many decades. The 1977 and 1978 teams will always hold a very special place in my heart, especially the 1978 Yankee team. I won't go into detail here, but suffice it to say, I wish I could write to Bucky Dent to thank him personally for the Home Run he hit in game 163 at Boston during that 1 game playoff for the AL East title. For me, that is my "shot heard round the world", and will forever be the single most significant home run ever to me personally.

I was a New York Giants fan in the NFL until the way they mishandled the whole Phillip Rivers/Eli Manning deal. When Eli said at the draft "We feel this is what is right for me.", that left a very bad taste in my mouth. "We"? We meaning Daddy Archie. Ever since then, I have called Eli "Pinocchio", Archie "Gepetto" and Peyton is "Jiminy Cricket". I don't root against the Giants per se, but that just left a very bad taste in my mouth the way that whole deal was handled when Eli was drafted. Yes I know the Giants won with him, yes I know the Giants had a huge upset vs. the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. For me it was like having an ex-wife who won the lottery. I don't feel bitter that I wasn't part of it, but I was happy for the Giants. I love Lombardi and the legacy that is the Green Bay Packers. I love what New Orleans has done. I've always pulled for the Steelers too, going all the way back to the mid 1970s when I first began watching the NFL. Any more, there are more teams that I love to HATE in the NFL.

I don't get into college much, nor basketball or hockey.

I like every major pro team in Florida. Let me expand upon it further.

NFL- My favorite team has been the Miami Dolphins ever since I started to seriously pay attention to American football (2010). It wasn't because of their winning record (7-9, back-to-back seasons, yeah right), it probably was because of the color of the jersey, and the fact that my first football jersey was a Zach Thomas #54 aqua jersey. I have respect for the Buccaneers and Jaguars (my 2nd and 3rd favorite NFL teams, respectively).

MLB- Because of my background, baseball was (and probably still is) my favorite sport. Everybody except my father in the Puerto Rican side of my family likes the Yankees; I HATE the Yankees (just like my father), I think me being a Yankees fan makes me a stereotype. (The other side of my family is Dominican, by the way.) As long as a can remember I have been a Marlins fan (2003 was a great year), they existed since I was born (I'm 18, BTW). I am also a Rays fan since the beginning of 2008 (something about the name "Devil Rays" scared me).

NHL- I am a Lightning and Panthers fan (don't ask how that is possible).

NBA- I am a Heat and Magic fan (again, don't ask how this is possible), but I refrained from being a Heat fan last year because I don't like everybody hating me (but I'm back as a fan this year).

College- I didn't care for college sports, I just rooted for who I liked. This is going to change this fall. I'm going to an NCAA Division I University in Florida (Hint: It is not Florida, Florida State, or Miami).

Association Football (Soccer)- I wish there is an MLS club in Florida. The nearest club is in either Houston or Washington, DC, and I don't care for either.

Australian Rules Football- No team in particular, I'm just fascinated by the sport.

Note: I root for Florida teams because someone has to, and I don't want to be another wannabe northeastern team (New York, Boston, Philadelphia) fan from Florida.

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Association Football (Soccer)- I wish there is an MLS club in Florida. The nearest club is in either Houston or Washington, DC, and I don't care for either.

Depending on where you live, there are three lower-level professional teams in Florida:

Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL)

Ft. Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)

Orlando City FC (USL)

Don't know much about Orlando, but I've been to games at both Tampa (Al Lang Field in St. Pete) and FtL (Lockhart Stadium). The supporters are generally good people. Of course, it was nice to see my Stars get good results both times, including winning the title at Lockhart. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays- I've been a fan since '05 and love Joe Maddon. Before 2008, I have been shy about cheering them because of their losing past. When they win, I'm always happy and if they lose, we always have tommorow. I might be the only Rays fan in the state of Indiana and I always see the Rays on TV no matter what. My favorite moment is when Evan Longoria hit the home run to send the Rays to the playoffs for the third time in four years.

NCAA: Louisville Cardinals- The Cardinals are a local team and alway show pride and honor in basketball. I've got upset when Louisville lost to Rutgers in '06 (National Championsip with win) but was happy with a win in the Orange Bowl. I've been to a few games at Freedom Hall and was impressed with a racious fanbase.

NCAA: Indiana Hoosiers- Only when they're good.

NCAA: Purdue Boilmakers- My brother is going to school there and when they play Indiana.

NFL: Indianapolis Colts- I've been a Colts fan for life. Ever since I was young, Watching games with my family is a tradition but not as much this year. Peyton Manning is my Fav. player on the Colts.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Ok, it's time for me to come out as an FC St. Pauli fan, mostly because of the stupid reason I support them: they're the most left-wing association football team in the world.

Their fans are virulently feminist and pro-gay (the club's former president was openly gay), and the club even went so far as to amend the club's constitution to include women, gay and minority rightsas core ideologies for the club. As a bisexual male, such a stand by a sports team is incredibly (for lack of a better term) awesome, and instantly won my fanhood the moment I read that.

St. Pauli also has a wide following among the music world (particularly German punk rock, but British indie is also represented).

Their fanbase is also probably more passionate than some Bundesliga clubs, which is saying something for a club that's toiled in the 2. Bundesliga and 3. Liga for most of its time.

spacer.png

I see Man U in your sig as well. The combo of Man U and St. Pauli is... interesting. *heh* (Also, that's a really tall sig you've got going there.)

Alright, I suppose I've not yet confessed my own loyalties, so here goes:

Soccer/Football

Minnesota Stars - My local team for the past two years, founded after the demise of the Minnesota Thunder. Sure, it's only second division in the US (NASL), but it's our team, and I get to follow them live and in person. Plus this happened:

321177_2688843780996_1253496522_33158050_1037799297_n.jpg

US National Teams - They're my national team. I mostly follow the men, but do also keep an eye on the women (...but not in that way). I've been to eight USMNT games so far:

• Columbus, Sept 2005 - WC qualifier vs Mexico
  • Chicago, Sept 2008 - WC qualifier vs Trinidad and Tobago
  • Columbus, February 2009 - WC qualifier vs Mexico
  • Chicago, May 2009 - WC qualifier vs Honduras
  • Mexico City, August 2009 - WC qualifier vs Mexico
  • Amsterdam, March 2010 - friendly vs Netherlands
  • Chicago, October 2010 - friendly vs Poland
  • Kansas City, June 2011 - Gold Cup vs Guadeloupe

Norwich City FC - Back in December 2004, I got laid off. I had a lot of time on my hands, and had never watched the Premier League. Since I had what was then Fox Sports World so I could watch Aussie Rules (it's now Fox Soccer), I started watching a bunch. Somehow, I got hooked on Norwich. I've been to two games at Carrow Road since: 2006 in the Championship, 2010 in League One.

I also keep an eye on St. Pauli as well as Sydney FC; I know someone in Australia that's a big SFC supporter. I'm planning to see a game when I'm down there in late March.

Hockey

St. Louis Blues - Hockey was my first love as a kid. Since I was growing up in the St. Louis area, the Blues were the cause. All these years later, they're still my team.

I also like seeing the Minnesota Wild succeed, since I've gotten to watch the team since its inception.

Baseball

St. Louis Cardinals - Yeah, I'm one of them. :D I'm not as big a baseball fan as I was when I was younger, but I still try and follow the Redbirds.

Other

Oddly, for all the years that I've kept an eye on the Australian Football League, I've never really adopted a team as my own. My aforementioned Australian friend is a member of the Sydney Swans cheer squad, so I probably lean that way. We'll see how it goes once I go to my first live AFL game at Sydney in March.

I'm not really much of a college sports fan, but I do pay attention to Missouri now and then.

I think that's about it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I see Man U in your sig as well. The combo of Man U and St. Pauli is... interesting. *heh* (Also, that's a really tall sig you've got going there.)

If you think this sig is massive, you should see the one I have on a political forum I occasionally post at. Five images, two quotes and a three-line assertion of my political beliefs (the forum is very lax with sig rules, obviously). I'm thinking about removing the SEGUIN image, because he's cooled down as of late, and is having some off-the-ice issues.

Manchester United and St. Pauli are certainly on opposite ends of the spectrum, that's for sure. I love Manchester United because of the history of the club (the Busby Babes, the down years before Ferguson, the current Fergusonian dynamo) and just how fantastic the team is now (from the old guard of Giggs, Ferdinand and Carrick to the newcomers like Hernandez, Young and Welbeck), while I love St. Pauli for the reasons I said on the previous page.

spacer.png

Boston Red Sox and Celtics - From my dad and grandfather

Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins - From my dad (however, when the Browns left for Baltimore I quit loving them like I once did and became a fan of the NFL).

Kentucky Wildcats - From Kentucky and they are the only team in basketball according to my whole family throughout our history.

Colorado Avalanche - When the Browns moved to Baltimore I was so pissed that I wanted to pick up a new sport and I started watching hockey. My favorite player was Peter Forsberg and I have loved this team since.

NFL - I love the league as a whole, but there are two teams I absolutely hate and they are the Cowboys (Because they were never America's Team and Jerry Jones) and the 49ers (Because Joe Montana was good, but if Marino had all that talent then he would have won all those Superbowls too)!

spacer.png