Your Favorite Teams?

TheGodfather

• 5 months later...

Me personally, I am only fans of teams that I have connections to. That would be the Rams, Cardinals, Blues, and Mizzou. I must also admit that I am a partial fan to Oregon, because I dream of designing football uniforms and I have always had some kind of bond to them.

But for me, I hate when people support teams that they have absolutely no connection to. To me, being a fan of a team is great, and part of it is going with the ups and the downs. I feel like people (for example) who liked the Heat when LeBron joined are cheating. I feel like they aren't getting everything out of sports.

Me personally, I am only fans of teams that I have connections to. That would be the Rams, Cardinals, Blues, and Mizzou. I must also admit that I am a partial fan to Oregon, because I dream of designing football uniforms and I have always had some kind of bond to them.

But for me, I hate when people support teams that they have absolutely no connection to. To me, being a fan of a team is great, and part of it is going with the ups and the downs. I feel like people (for example) who liked the Heat when LeBron joined are cheating. I feel like they aren't getting everything out of sports.

These threads seem to pop up once or twice every year. Now to the bolded quotes.

This is what we like to call irony. You hate (strong word, by the way) people who enjoy rooting for teams who they don't have connections to (by connections, I assume you mean local teams and/or teams who have/currently employing family members), yet you admit to have taking a liking to Oregon.

Now, would you hate someone who grew up without football in their city and chose to follow the team his father rooted for and happened to play 1,000 miles away?

Food for thought.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

These threads seem to pop up once or twice every year. Now to the bolded quotes.

This is what we like to call irony. You hate (strong word, by the way) people who enjoy rooting for teams who they don't have connections to (by connections, I assume you mean local teams and/or teams who have/currently employing family members), yet you admit to have taking a liking to Oregon.

Now, would you hate someone who grew up without football in their city and chose to follow the team his father rooted for and happened to play 1,000 miles away?

Food for thought.

You could call it ironic but that's why i admitted to it. I hate it, but I realize i partake in it a little bit too. I do have a little bit of connection to Oregon though, 2 of my aunts went there and currently live in Oregon now. So it's not a huge connection but I don't exactly have a huge love for them.

And I know hate is a strong word, I probably didn't mean it that way but I do strongly dislike it. Also, I don't hate the people for being badnwagon fans, just hate the fact that they think they are true fans. (I realize not everyone does this, but I know a lot of people who do).

Also, I wouldn't "hate" someone for doing that, because they have a connection to that team. For one, they don't have a team to directly root for so I can't knock them for liking a certain team. And also, his father roots for that team so there's a connection right there. If you grow up watching a team it's completely different.

My original point was probably presented wrongly. It just irritates me when people act like "true" fans only through a team's success, and could care less when the team sucks.

I have no "connection" to the Carolina Panthers besides the fact that 4 year old me thought it would be cool to root for a team younger than he was and picked the Panthers over the Jags because of the color scheme; I've been a fan ever since.

Does this qualify me to be be hated in your world?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

My first flag football team was called the Falcons, been a fan ever since. Yankees were the first baseball team I heard of so I became a fan. Big Shaq fan but i hate the lakers for some reason so when he went to Miami I found my team. When I was young I thought the lightning had the Coolest logo. I was A fan. And huskers are local team.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I have no "connection" to the Carolina Panthers besides the fact that 4 year old me thought it would be cool to root for a team younger than he was and picked the Panthers over the Jags because of the color scheme; I've been a fan ever since.

Does this qualify me to be be hated in your world?

no

I have no connection whatsoever to the Colts, my quasi-fandom in the NFL. I don't see what's wrong with that.

nothing

Food for thought.

He did not say he hates anyone. He says he "hates when..."

One of my best friends likes a random assortment of teams (including the Patriots, legitimately from the Bledsoe era) because it was not "cool" to like the home teams...I don't hate him, but I hate that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I also have no connection to the Anaheim Ducks, the team I root for the most despite living more than 5,450 miles away and in a completely different country.

I knew nothing of their successes (or rather, their lack of) when I became a fan, I picked them as my team after growing up watching a TV show about superhero hockey playing ducks from outer space, which for whatever reason planted a love of ice hockey into the back of my mind. I almost became a Red Wings fan, simply because red is my favourite colour, but seeing that logo with the duck mask and crossed hockey sticks again was what won me over. Even after they rebranded and got rid of everything but the Ducks moniker that drew me to the team, I stuck with them as my interactions with other fans online always made me feel that little bit less far away.

So, how do I support my team when living on the other side of the world? The short answer could simply be "With great difficulty", but strictly speaking that would be incorrect. NHL coverage (or for that matter, any non-British sports coverage) is piss poor in my part of the world, so I follow them almost exclusively through the internet, whether that be through the highlight reels, game recaps, a number of Ducks-based blogs, even through Twitter and live notifications through my iPhone. There was also a time when I could subscribe to services like GameCenter Live and actually watch the games as they were happening, but I've had to abandon that luxury as working six days a week means I'm no longer able to stay up until 3 or 4am while streaming that one Ducks game I could catch every week. Nowadays I get my fix just fine with the highlight reels, when I remember to watch them. Or when I haven't spent my lunch break typing out a long-winded post such as this :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

For any team that I support that does not live in the locale; here's why:

Man City: Used to like Utd (lolwut). Found out City was rising up with the $$$, I jumped bandwagons from that point on.

WVU: No idea. It started with the monogram logo. Then the 70-33. Then the obnoxious shirts.

Bosnia-Herzegovina: The names. Dzeko, Pjanic, Begovic, Ibisevic and many others.

Funny how there isn't any Oregon coverage (even Washington for that matter) on any of the TSN feeds.

I am from Georgia, but root for no in-state teams. I absolutely cannot stand UGA because of the fact that my hometown is full of obnoxious fans that have no connections to the University other than the fact that they live in the state, and my one trip to Sanford Stadium was quite bad. Also, I have no connections whatsoever to GA Tech, Southern, or any other school in the state. I don't root for Atlanta teams simply because I despise the city of Atlanta and avoid it like the plague.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Toronto Maple Leafs/Blue Jays/Raptors/FC/Marlies- Was born and raised in Kitchener-Waterloo, so they're the "local" teams.

Kitchener Rangers- Even more local then the Toronto teams!

Hamilton Tiger-Cats- They're the outlet for my "southern Ontario that's not Toronto" pride. Also, the Argos as an organization just really bug me.

University of Western Ontario Mustangs- UWO's my alma mater. I only ever use "we" in reference to the UWO Mustangs.

University of Auburn Tigers- My sister's alma mater. I tried getting into NCAA football prior to that via the Michigan Wolverines but it just didn't take.

Tottenham Hotspur FC/Rangers FC- I chose my soccer ( :P ) teams in the UK based on ethnic/social criteria. I'm Jewish and Tottenham has a large Jewish following. Seemed like as good a reason as any. The Rangers have a large pro-Union Protestant fanbase. My mom's family is made up of British Protestants. So that was my rationale there.

As far as people liking teams that they don't have a local connection to...well sports are supposed to be fun. So root for who you want to root for.

That being said? I admit there are cases where it bugs me. The "anyone but the Leafs" crowd here is irritating. If you want to fall back on another semi-local team like the Wings, Sens, or Sabres then go for it. It's just that it's sort of become a rotating fandom these days. The Canucks were the popular choice among the "anyone but the Leafs" crowd back when they were Cup contenders, but the Habs are popular too. And then you ask why and suddenly everyone has a French Canadian great uncle or something. I can't explain it but a good portion of the Habs' fanbase in southern Ontario without a direct connection to Quebec in some way seems to comprise of douchebags.

It just bugs me when I suspect someone's a "fan" of a team for no other reason then to troll the local team's fanbase.

Clippers- I decided for them to be my favorite teams when the Lakers were at the end of their "dynasty". Though they're keeping me hooked by having alright seasons

Ducks- Just the fact they used to have such a great identity. Too bad they threw it away before I became a fan. (This is Anaheim BTW)

Steelers- Because bandwagon. Oh, and the fact they had the same uniforms as the Hawkeyes.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Welp, here goes:

MLB

Boston Red Sox: I was actually a Yankees fan for a few months, but then in 2009 I went to Boston for the first time and absolutely fell in love with the city. Everyone around the city was wearing Red Sox gear, and going past Fenway Park was also really cool to see. Long story short, the Red Sox really appealed to me and I jumped ship from the Yanks.

Toronto Blue Jays: They were my original team, but I got frustrated with them around 2008 and I decided to be a douche and take on the Yankees as my favorite team. I actually came back when they unveiled their new look, because it's absolutely amazing, and they're my second team. I know it's weird to cheer for two teams in the same division, but neither team has been good at the same time so it's worked out.

NHL

Boston Bruins: I grew up a Leafs fan and after I saw them eliminated live by the Flyers in 2004 playoffs, I vowed to never cheer for them again. After the lockout, I then decided to make whatever team that drafted Crosby my new favorite team, which obviously turned out to be the Penguins. I supported them for a while but I simply lost interest in them. I started seriously supporting the Bruins in the 2011 playoffs, and they've stuck ever since.

Columbus Blue Jackets: I started to take interest in them in the 2013 season when they narrowly missed the playoffs, and I was gunning HARD for them in their series against Pittsburgh last year. If I go to Ohio State next year, I'm sure I'll be going to some Jackets games and the Bruins and them will be my 1 and 1A team.

Other Hockey

Team Canada: Canada's my country, so obviously I'll cheer for them in international hockey

Mississauga Steelheads: They're my local OHL team. Truth be told, I almost prefer OHL hockey to the NHL. I don't know why.

Brampton Beast: My local now-ECHL team. I went to their home opener last Friday and I plan on going to more games.

Jokerit: For as long as NHL has had international leagues, I've always enjoyed playing as them and their logo is awesome, so they've been my European (now KHL) team.

NFL

New England Patriots: I was cheering for them in the 2004 Super Bowl, and they've stuck since. Nothing else really to explain.

NBA

Boston Celtics: I don't follow NBA all too much but I made them my team just to round out the Boston 4.

NCAA/CIS

Michigan State Spartans: My uncle has his MBA from there and I have no connections to any other US colleges, so they've always been my go-to team in the NCAA.

Ohio State Buckeyes: I'm really interested in going there next year, and seems more likely for me that I'll be going there instead of Michigan State. Obviously, they'll become my undisputed #1 if I get accepted there.

Western Mustangs: They're my Canadian college team because my uncle got his undergrad from there (he was actually in the same major/class with Dan Shulman) and my girlfriend currently goes there.

Soccer

Italy National Team: My mom's entire family is Italian, so naturally I support them.

Germany National Team: My dad's side has some German heritage, and they have an awesome team. Seeing them finally win the World Cup this year was especially awesome since they had always come up short at every recent World Cup/Euro.

AC Milan: I first went to Italy in 2007, and they were fresh off their Champions League title, so I bought a Kaka jersey. They've been my Serie A team since.

Arsenal FC: I used to be a Chelsea supporter in the EPL but Arsenal simply appealed more to me, and so I switched allegiances. I love their players, so that made the switch pretty easy. Now, they've gotten as far as nearly passing Milan as my #1 team in all of soccer.

Bayern Munich: Their team is essentially Germany's national team, so they became my Bundesliga team.

New York City FC: I've tried to get behind both Toronto FC and the New England Revolution at different points, but neither of which stuck. I think I'll get on board with NYCFC because I really want to get into MLS, and starting with a team from the beginnings seems like a good choice. My uncle, the one who influenced my choice of college teams, now lives there so that played a bit of a role in choosing them.

Redskins - Pretty much the "local team" and the team my family roots for, so hey why not? Even if they do have an idiot owner and have a bad team.

Wizards - Pretty much same as the Redskins minus the whole family part. I can't attest to watching every single Wizards game, but if it's during the regular season I may watch a few very intently and just leave most games on in the background. I will watch all the playoff games though.

Orioles - I only like the Orioles because they were the "team" around here until the Nationals moved, and they contain my very early memories of Baseball. It helps that they were also my Little League team when I played.

Nationals - Blah, blah, local team bits.

Richmond Flying Squirrels - One of the only teams in town, so I have to tip my hat to them.

Capitals - I don't watch Hockey, but if I had a gun to my head and had to pick a team, they'd be it.

Virginia Tech - It's the college my whole Dad's side of the family and my brother have attended, and it's the college I hope to go to. I've been to a million football games and the atmosphere is just awesome. Especially on Thursday nights. Beautiful campus too.

James Madison - Most of my mother's side of the family went there, I don't watch any of their games. But I'll casually root for them.

DC United - The high-level local MLS club no once cares about. Woot. I'll maybe watch a few games per regular season, but I keep good tabs on them.

Richmond Kickers - I never watch them, but they're the team to ditch the NoVa'ers with.

USMNT - I'll watch any FIFA World Cup Games or qualifiers. Nothing like supporting your country.

England/French/German/Italian/Scottish/Irish National Teams - This will sound weird, but after the US, I'll support the ethnic countries my family are from, so yeah that's a lot. I like to have a dog in UEFA Euro or the World Cup.

Everton - FC It's always a weird connection when you support an EPL team, but Tim Howard is the main reason I like Everton. So, their my team.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Patriots - when I started to get into football, it was when NE first faced the Giants in Super Bowl XLII. I chose New England to win mainly because of the color scheme and logo. When they lost, I stuck with them and disliked the Giants. I've stuck with the Pats since then.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Bears - they were on TV, so I started rooting for them during the last gasps of the Cade McNown era. It has rarely improved from there. I chose poorly.

Cubs - family team, so I started rooting for them around 1996. It has rarely improved from there. I chose poorly.

Blackhawks - uncle is a huge fan, so I started rooting for them. It has been weird, but obviously successful lately.

Pacers - huge Reggie Miller fan. Once he retired/Malice in the Palace/uniform change, I stopped caring completely and utterly checked out.

Bulls† - not really a fan, per se, so much as a casual follower of the team that wouldn't mind see them be successful.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Tottenham Hotspur FC/Rangers FC- I chose my soccer ( :P ) teams in the UK based on ethnic/social criteria. I'm Jewish and Tottenham has a large Jewish following. Seemed like as good a reason as any. The Rangers have a large pro-Union Protestant fanbase. I like the idea of the UK staying united and my mom's family is made up of British Protestants. So that was my rationale there.

Funnily enough, Tottenham were my team during a very brief football phase as a kid. My family's never really been into it - save for my Grandmother who's a big West Ham fan - so I never grew up with an interest in the game. But I picked Tottenham as my team simply because someone before me said it in a class activity and it was the easiest to remember. That and to six year old me, "West Ham" just sounded stoopid.

My parents tried to convert me to being a West Ham supporter instead, going so far as to tell me that my newborn baby brother was also a West Ham fan. I always found that weird as they never cared about football before, but in hindsight they were probably more wary of my safety as West Ham were the local team, and given the, *ahem*, fan culture of that particular team I certainly don't blame them for trying. But despite me being a stubborn git and continuing to proclaim my loyalty to "Tott-num", I ended up just losing interest. Don't remember when or why, but one day it just stopped being a thing for me.

These days, basically everything about the culture of the game puts me off, but where the media force feeding was once a personal gear grinder of mine I've since learned to tune it out and ignore it - which tends to be even more difficult when Euro and the World Cup come around :lol:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017