Soccer/Football Kits 08/09

zjac7

the font's only bad from close in, but watching a game on TV it's very readable and clear. From the usual TV camera angle, it's a nice blocky italicized number font. You only notice the pixelated style of the font when they show close-ups or close photos like the one above.

at least it does its job: it's readable for fans watching from a distance away.

While that may be true, it's still a hideous font and should never have been used or even considered. It's like a .jpg enlarged way beyond its proper resolution. Horrible.

Their are whole books of fonts that are readable from a distance that don't look atrocious from close up. Puma could have done better.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The number placement is odd, and the sash looks to be at a weird angle.

Is that a new badge for Guatemala?

I'm surprised the front of that shirt's so clean. I figured El Pescadito would have fallen over a few times in it already. :D

He's only playing a minnow. He has to get his scoring in while he can. He won't do it for LA this year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Those Puma logos on the shoulders really stand out as an eyesore to me. Been bothered by it during EURO 2008 and I hate to see it again on Guatemala's kits. I don't dislike it because it's a corporate logo; I just hate seeing the same logo three times on a jersey. Same thing that is wrong with the original Buffalo Sabres jerseys.

I don't mind the pixelated numbers too much, they are just too prevalent for my liking. Variety!

completely agree on both accounts twi

The Chelsea one definitely looks fake, just look at the SAMSUNG logo, looks weird. However, I'm almost certain that's what it'll look like

Liverpool's unveiling of the away. Stupid gray, the whole kit is. I do, however, like the checker pattern.

liverpool_08_09_away_adidas_shirt_leaked.jpg

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

New Man. U. away:

mufc-43542.jpg

More pics on the team's official site.

I never really understood ManU and blue. I don't like it. Too contrasting with the red and yellow.

Honestly, I don't understand the change kit color schemes for most football clubs. Arsenal's yellow, ManU's blue, etc. What I do like is that the teams with strong change kit traditions seem -- and I may be wrong here -- to largely stay consistent with them. Certainly, I recognize Arsenal's change kit this year was cream and red currant, but it had historical relevance.

Personally, this is one area wehre I'd prefer the American sports-styled preference of having one white jersey, one color. But who am I to spoil tradition?

Honestly, I don't understand the change kit color schemes for most football clubs. Arsenal's yellow, ManU's blue, etc. What I do like is that the teams with strong change kit traditions seem -- and I may be wrong here -- to largely stay consistent with them. Certainly, I recognize Arsenal's change kit this year was cream and red currant, but it had historical relevance.

Personally, this is one area wehre I'd prefer the American sports-styled preference of having one white jersey, one color. But who am I to spoil tradition?

There are a few clubs out there that maintain a RELATIVELY consistent rotation of change kit colors. Off the top of my head I can think of these three...

Leeds United: Yellow, Blue

Valencia: Black, Orange

Real Madrid: Black, Purple

I'd like to respectfully differ that a standardized white away uniform is so bland. I'd much rather be surprised at the color of the away/3rd strip every other year, or whatever the heck the cycle is these days. I'm glad MLS teams are starting to move away from these, namely expansion teams, and those that have recently rebranded.

Extra props out to the Columbus Crew who have maintained the yellow home/black away for the last few years, and it's a shame Chicago dropped their light blue, city flag shirts. Blame Adidas. Those uniforms were a thing of beauty.

Chelsea have used yellow or white as away shirts quite a bit. Milan almost always use all-white away and an all-black third shirt. Inter rotate most of the time between a white and yellow away shirt, Roma almost always use white too, Lyon use black or red, Bayern usually use white...etc., etc.

And as to why United use blue, well, Wikipedia says: "The United third kit is traditionally all-blue in homage to the kit that the 1968 European Cup was won in." Makes sense to me.

in recent times Arsenal have rotated between yellow and blue away tops, and I have to say I'd prefer them to stay with yellow. the blue away shirts seem to be cursed.

harperdc.gif

Personally, I love how change kits are way different than the primaries. The primary kit, for the most part, stays the same every year, with little tweaks (arsenal red with white sleeves, man u plain red, etc.) The change kit allows for creative juices to get flowing, and makes every year different. It's a great way to break away from the norm, and also is a great way to get some $$$.

I wish more sports and teams in America did that.

Anyways, those Valencia kits = class. Love them, especially the away kit. I'd rather see the black jersey with white shorts, but I can live.

And it looks like they redid their crest a little bit. The bats wings now come down all the way and form the outline to the badge part of it. Never seen that before, but correct me if I'm wrong.

valencia_08_09_home_nike_shirt_details.jpg

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Like the shirt but the Man U rotation is definitely changed. They should have been wearing blue this year and white for 2009/10. Maybe these caught their eyes more then the blues. But with blue shorts they look like a recolored version of Arsenal's aways from last year minus striped socks.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I might be way off here, but I think there has been a trend recently in the Premier League of alternating the away shirt from light to dark every year. A while back everyone seemed to have white/light away shirts, more recently black/dark away shirts. Seems were heading back in the light direction.

Archived