NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

from what i'm hearing, the stars alternate has 3-color DALLAS/numbers instead of 2 like the homes...

not true 3-colors, if you know what i mean... but instead of a black jersey with DALLAS in white, outlined in gold, it's a white jersey with DALLAS in black, outlined in white, then green.

sounds interesting... and if true, i might purchase one of those instead of the home jersey... green really is a deal breaker for me. i don't want a black and gold stars jersey... but i really do like the arched DALLAS text on our uniforms.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a difference between this jersey:

51-86851-P.jpg

With this logo:

p5282025reg.jpg

And this logo:

f6wp57w4ft3w0fqj1hf6.gif

I am willing to assume the NHL owns the rights to both and are thus able to get those jerseys made. They are the 'Ottawa Senators (Silver Seven)' and not the modern day Senators, which is why the Sens don't have any of their own branding with that logo on it.

I did not find anything with the latter logo on a piece of merchandise on the Sens website. The only merchandise I can find with the 'O' logo is what resembles what you see on the jersey. This is why I believe there is something going on where the Sens don't own the 'O' logo and that is why you don't really see it anywhere and like the Flames, had to get permission to have it on their jersey which could be why they never used the profile logo which was probably supposed to appear on the shoulders.

I can tell you I have NEVER seen anything with the shoulder 'O' logo on it appear on a piece of merchandise, only the one you see from the jersey which has a different striping pattern. Something strange is going on, and it would be cool to find out what it is!!

EDIT: This is the ONLY thing on the Sens online store which had the shoulder logo on it:

p3168907reg.jpg

I can't speak for what's available at the online store, but I assure you the exact logo found on the shoulder of Senators home/away jerseys is available on tons of merchandise: hats, tuques, mugs, shirts, notebooks etc. The barberpole jersey, and the logo that accompanies it was marketed as a heritage jersey prior to the Edge makeover but since then the "=O=" logo has been used on countless Ottawa Senators merchandise along with the primary logo and the less common updated profile version (which is found mostly on hats). The Senators have not put it on the front of the third because they don't want to, it doesn't get more complicated than that.

Let's try this one on for size

stars3rd.gif

and we'll see how close I am tomorrow.

that name is damn near impossible to read. :(

but that's what i'm assuming too... though i've heard that there's white between the green and black, which would do a world of good.

either way, i see myself buying one of these before i buy a black home jersey.

we'll find out earlier than icethetics or the stars luncheon, because apparently turco is showing it off at 7:50 am on the morning news here.

all i've got is a standard def tv, and a camera phone... but i should be able to post pics in the morning.

I hate the idea of Dallas having another NBA style jersey.

It seems so lazy, why?

i don't mind it at all...

honestly, i'm more annoyed with the lack of a green jersey than with the DALLAS workmark on the chest. i actually like the DALLAS on the chest.

It seems so lazy, why?

honestly, i'm more annoyed with the lack of a green jersey than with the DALLAS workmark on the chest. i actually like the DALLAS on the chest.

I just think they could have done something different instead of the NBA look, even if it was just Dallas.

I am just so suprised they didn't go with an all green jersey, I really liked the previous green jerseys they had.

2ly2w09.jpg

It seems so lazy, why?

I just think they could have done something different instead of the NBA look, even if it was just Dallas.

I am just so suprised they didn't go with an all green jersey, I really liked the previous green jerseys they had.

in a perfect world to me, the stars home jersey would be a green/white/gold version of our current white/green/gold away jersey.

the road jersey wouldn't change.

the third jersey would be black, with DALLAS in white, outlined in GREEN instead of gold.

and boom, perfect stars unis :)

I think the logo on that Kings jersey blows. The uni could be ok though.

Honestly, the Kings jerseys have sucked since they went away from the Gretzky era jerseys. Why the hell do you need your city name on the hem? And those friggin' funky numbers need to go. This is just more crap!

turns out everyone was wrong...

the new stars third jersey is EXACTLY the same as the road jersey, except with DALLAS instead of the logo.

3 color numbers and letters. green/gold/black.

as boring as it is, they really really looked great on tv to me. very clean. a lot nicer than i expected. now if we can just turn the home jersey into a green version of the 3-color look, it would be great.

pics:

turco-front.jpg

turco-far.jpg

What a waste... Great logo, great colors... and this is all they could come up with... I hope some Jacka$$ loses his job for this one!!! If you going to make a crappy logo at least make it a truthful, crappy logo!!!

SENS.jpg

canada.png

The Sens new third is horrible but its not any worse than their current home and third. All their revamped logos look bad. I think a modern barberpole jersey would probably satisfy 90% of fans but they will probably turn out 2 more third jerseys before they even attempt one. By that time their original unis could be in play again.

This got me thinking:

It's pretty clear that Reebok and the league doesn't want to come up with classy designs that actually look good and stand the test of time. Their goal seems to be turning out new uniforms and logos as much as possible. In the rare case that a new third is popular and there is a movement to institute it as a regular uniform such as Vancouver and Boston, they still redesign the damn thing just enough so they can resell it!

This is why teams like the Leafs Oilers and Canucks got new uniforms that any fan with microsoft paint could improve upon by simple addition or subtraction and why teams like the Flames replaced a top five uni with some abstract thing with a side panel that looks like a camisole. Of course it got even worse with Buffalo where they put a yellow slug on their uni which the fans seemed to really hate. They never want to perfect the look of any team that needs it because they know they can keep turning out new uniforms. The NHL puts out all these crappy jerseys knowing that many wont be incredibly popular in the long term. Its planned obsolescence.

As a fan of the NHL I am extremely annoyed by this. I understand the need to make money with merchandise, but do they have to treat their main uniform brand like this and confuse everyone that actually watches the games with all these different looks and colours? Can't they just settle on home and road uniforms and limit the experimentation to third unis instead?

Probably the best synopsis I've read on this subject.

Bravo.

I agree, very astute. The only thing I would disagree with is that there is any movement to have Bostons 3rd become a regular. From what I've seen it's nice, and I really like the alternate logo a lot, but 99% of Bruins fans do not want a primary jersey to have any primary logo aside from the spoked B. There is just too much tradition behind that logo, and it's a sharp logo to boot.

Aside from that minor point, I think your main point is right on.

the new stars third jersey is EXACTLY the same as the road jersey, except with DALLAS instead of the logo.

as boring as it is, they really really looked great on tv to me. very clean. a lot nicer than i expected. now if we can just turn the home jersey into a green version of the 3-color look, it would be great.

pics:

turco-front.jpg

turco-far.jpg

It's very rare that a team uses the exact same jersey for both one of it's primary and alternate jerseys. Although, this is actually a nice interpretation of it. Perhaps if they added a thin black pipe next to the gold stripes on the elbows, it may improve it. If only Dallas would add some green to their home jersey. I actually like their jersey set.

EDIT: Is it just me of are they missing the gold stripe from the bottom of the jersey?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I can tell you I have NEVER seen anything with the shoulder 'O' logo on it appear on a piece of merchandise, only the one you see from the jersey which has a different striping pattern. Something strange is going on, and it would be cool to find out what it is!!

EDIT: This is the ONLY thing on the Sens online store which had the shoulder logo on it:

p3168907reg.jpg

There are countless items at Sensations in Scotiabank Place with that logo, alot of hats and I've seen some sweaters with it.

I don't know why I like the Kings jersey but I really do. Also I think if the Senators got away from the "sens" logo, I would like that jersey alot more.

Strange then. Nothing on the NHL website has that logo on it apart from that item, and, most other places I have seen NHL apparel has not had THAT logo on it. Are you sure that they don't have the logo with the white bars at the top and bottom? Those have been around forever.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

There is a difference between this jersey:

51-86851-P.jpg

With this logo:

p5282025reg.jpg

And this logo:

f6wp57w4ft3w0fqj1hf6.gif

I am willing to assume the NHL owns the rights to both and are thus able to get those jerseys made. They are the 'Ottawa Senators (Silver Seven)' and not the modern day Senators, which is why the Sens don't have any of their own branding with that logo on it.

I did not find anything with the latter logo on a piece of merchandise on the Sens website. The only merchandise I can find with the 'O' logo is what resembles what you see on the jersey. This is why I believe there is something going on where the Sens don't own the 'O' logo and that is why you don't really see it anywhere and like the Flames, had to get permission to have it on their jersey which could be why they never used the profile logo which was probably supposed to appear on the shoulders.

p3168907reg.jpg

I can't speak for what's available at the online store, but I assure you the exact logo found on the shoulder of Senators home/away jerseys is available on tons of merchandise: hats, tuques, mugs, shirts, notebooks etc. The barberpole jersey, and the logo that accompanies it was marketed as a heritage jersey prior to the Edge makeover but since then the "=O=" logo has been used on countless Ottawa Senators merchandise along with the primary logo and the less common updated profile version (which is found mostly on hats). The Senators have not put it on the front of the third because they don't want to, it doesn't get more complicated than that.

Then it is very strange that it is not on any of the NHL store merchandise. I'll take your (and Shaunrr's) word on it.

I won't let my conspiracy theory die completely though. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

pics:

turco-front.jpg

turco-far.jpg

It's very rare that a team uses the exact same jersey for both one of it's primary and alternate jerseys. Although, this is actually a nice interpretation of it. Perhaps if they added a thin black pipe next to the gold stripes on the elbows, it may improve it. If only Dallas would add some green to their home jersey. I actually like their jersey set.

EDIT: Is it just me of are they missing the gold stripe from the bottom of the jersey?

For that very reason, this is just stupid. If they wanted the Dallas script to get more attention, why did they even design their current road jersey? By next year, the road one will no longer be used. This is nothing more than a wasted oppurtunity to make a suitable green alternate jersey. The jersey is nice, you can add me to the short list of people who like the Dallas script. Still, the similarities between the road and the alt is not very exciting.

And to answer your question Roger, it sure looks like the bottom has no gold. The green hemstripe even looks a tad larger than on the road.

Archived