NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Sharks jersey needs a hem stripes, and I mean real stripes... not a 1" thick trim around the base. SJ shoulder logo should have been a the shark fin. The jersey is really boring from the logo down. For an RBK design, I guess it's pretty good when compared to the other crap

Sens is a complete and utter disaster. I can't believe a professional sports franchise would wear those jerseys

Kings is a joke. What is that crap? The logo is hideous and holy piping overload. The horizontal elbow stripes and vertical piping along the arms makes the jersey look sooooooo wrong.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this does not directly relate to 3rds, but why were the Hawks wearing their reds on the road tonight? I know the Coyotes were wearing their whites at home, but I thought that teams had to wear their colors at home.

I know last year from watching the Canucks play, when they wore white at home, it was always a home and home series with a team and that neither of them were on an extended road trip.

That theory wouldn't work in this situation because the Hawks are on their longest road trip of the year with the circus coming to the United Center. I'm really no sure why they would make the Blackhawks bring the red jerseys with them.

The Sharks jersey is just too plain, and the Senators jersey is way too busy. But I love the Kings jersey. I'm not sure what it is but the sleeve stripe and piping doesn't ruin it for me, and I kinda like the crest. That third is one of my favorites so far, especially for not being just a throwback.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I know this does not directly relate to 3rds, but why were the Hawks wearing their reds on the road tonight? I know the Coyotes were wearing their whites at home, but I thought that teams had to wear their colors at home.

I know last year from watching the Canucks play, when they wore white at home, it was always a home and home series with a team and that neither of them were on an extended road trip.

That theory wouldn't work in this situation because the Hawks are on their longest road trip of the year with the circus coming to the United Center. I'm really no sure why they would make the Blackhawks bring the red jerseys with them.

The only thing I can think of is that this year's "West Coast" road trip also includes Toronto, so perhaps the Hawks are playing the Leafs on a night they're wearing their white 3rd, and therefore had to pack the red sweaters anyway.

ottsens1.jpg

Welcome to the Modified Agency Club, Ottawa! You'll find you've got lots of company here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Good: :winner:

Boston Bruins: Well done jersey. People bitch about no hem stripes but this jersey works.

Buffalo Sabres: Fantastic jersey. Great update to the old style jerseys. Even with the piping it is still a good jersey. (Definitely no Humanot design!)

Chicago Blackhawks: tough to mess this one up. Same as the old, still as good.

Edmonton Oilers: the vintage look works. Glad they went back to the royal blue instead of using the navy, the collar is an interesting cut, not great but not terrible.

Montreal Canadiens: Really went all out with the jerseys they have come out with. All are well designed and good modernizations of the throwbacks.

New York Islanders: Much like the Oilers, the royal blue works for them as well.

Philadelphia Flyers: Incredible jersey. Great authentic retro feel. Awesome to see the white nameplates.

Pittsburgh Penguins: We knew it was coming and it was what was expected. Great jersey all around. Would have loved a scarf!

San Jose Sharks: Even though people will complain that it is too plain. It is a great jersey. The full bodied shark on the front looks great. Would have been even better to just use the "diamond shark fin" as the shoulder patch.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Another one that was tough to mess up and luckily MLE didn't! Great jersey, classic feel.

Vancouver Canucks: Awesome to see Johnny Canuck on the shoulders. Would have been neat to see a green jersey. Not a fan of the modernized "stick-in-rink" logo. Should have kept the stick straight in the logo.

Winter Classic Jerseys: Detroit and Chicago- Both teams will look great on January 1st! Nice retro feel and good to see detroit doing something a little different!

The Average: :mellow:

Carolina Hurricanes: Decent jersey. Dislike the monotone shouder patches. Front logo works well.

Dallas Stars: This actually has potential to be a great jersey but the lack of green kills it. I know the Stars seem to be drifting from green but it really could use more green. If the stripes on the arms were green or the base of the jersey was green, it would be fantastic.

Los Angeles Kings: I actually like this jersey. The Kings have always had some type of "pencil head" in their logo and this is a good way to get back to it. It is a decent jersey, will be interesting to see in a game but it is just lacking something that brings it all together.

St. Louis Blues: You can't really find anything wrong with this jersey but when you look at it, it doesn't feel right. The jersey doesn't fit with the Blues identity. You can't help but feel the design was misplaced, like it should be for a different club. It's almost a kids sweater you'd see in a Zellers. Just some general design that could really fit to any team. I do however enjoy the inclusion of the Gateway!

The Bad: :huh:

Atlanta Thrashers: After seeing these in action. They definitely fell on my list. Some interesting elements and creative ideas but when it comes together it just looks like autumn leaves in a blender.

Ottawa Senators: SENS. Whoever let this idea get passed should be fired. It is moronic. The side stripes that come stabbing into the center of the jersey also throw it off big time. If you got rid of the side stripes that arc into the jersey and slapped the 2D logo on the front, they would have a huge huge success on their hands. The jersey would fly off the shelves.

Phoenix Coyotes: This was one of the jerseys that I was really interested to see. They definitely did something different. I don't mind the separate pieces of the identity but when it comes together, it doesn't work. Even the paw logo on the front would have been better. I'm excited to see these in action.

Tampa Bay Lightning: Beautiful, beautiful jersey design. BOLTS kills it. If you put the Tampa Bay secondary logo on the front of that jersey template, you might have one of the sharpest looking jerseys in the league. Incredible how BOLTS got approved as well. Jersey design, incredible. BOLTS, terrible.

2009 All-Star Game Jerseys: The Atlanta Thrashers jersey has had sex with the Columbus Bluejackets jersey and spewed out this. Not good. Too much going on, big step back in the ASG jersey designs.

Being a Kings fan, I can't say I'm overly pleased or disappointed with the LA jersey. First off, we already have a black jersey, so I think purple needs to be reintroduced somewhere along the line. I hate the white armpits and the dazzle silver should go. On the positive side, I embrace the return to the Gretzky era and the reappearance of a hemline stripe! So in short, get rid of the pitstains and dial down the shine on the piping and it's a pretty solid effort. At least we didn't completely drop the ball like the Senators...um, Sens...did.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Being a Kings fan, I can't say I'm overly pleased or disappointed with the LA jersey. First off, we already have a black jersey, so I think purple needs to be reintroduced somewhere along the line. I hate the white armpits and the dazzle silver should go. On the positive side, I embrace the return to the Gretzky era and the reappearance of a hemline stripe! So in short, get rid of the pitstains and dial down the shine on the piping and it's a pretty solid effort. At least we didn't completely drop the ball like the Senators...um, Sens...did.

No, but you're darned close. Frankly, if they really wanted to look good, Purple & Gold, baby! With the classic crown logo (not the updated p.o.s.) Rogie Vachon style!

And this "L.A." crest on the 3rd looks about as prepared as a two-minute MS Paint image.

Personally, I don't understand the vitriol for the Sens and Kings jerseys.

Clearly, they have obvious flaws. Using "SENS" instead of one of their other far superior logos is ridiculous. And that's a big thing to hate. But I otherwise think the jersey design is really nice. I like the sleeve stripes and the red under-arm pattern looks solid. If they found a better alt logo for the front, it would be a great jersey.

As for the Kings, I really like it. It's simple and clean. Perhaps the logo is a little TOO simple, and a bit of a contrived attempt at a royal crest maybe? I don't think the outrage is justified, though.

SensEdit.jpg

Seriously... was it that hard to do Ottawa??

Honestly, that looks worse. That logo has a lot of gold in it and despite the shoulder logo, there is no gold on the jersey. We have enough of the "logo colurs not on the jersey" with the Vancouver debacle. In all honesty, it's the style. It's just a big clash of concepts and it looks awful. No logo can really help it. The "SENS" part is pretty sharp, IMO, yet still can't save that jersey.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

To make the sens 3rd jersey even better than Incognito's.

sensconceptek2.jpg

That's better.

THe biggest flaw with the jersey (other than the "SENS" logo) is that you have traditional sleeve striping clashing against modern underarm designs. The Kings jersey kind of suffers from the same thing, but not as bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To make the sens 3rd jersey even better than Incognito's.

sensconceptek2.jpg

That's better.

THe biggest flaw with the jersey (other than the "SENS" logo) is that you have traditional sleeve striping clashing against modern underarm designs. The Kings jersey kind of suffers from the same thing, but not as bad.

Yeah, but you know that if they released that jersey, all we'd be hearing about on this board is how they just copied the Blackhawks. I think the sleeve striping on the Senators' alt is fine.

The only thing I can think of is that this year's "West Coast" road trip also includes Toronto, so perhaps the Hawks are playing the Leafs on a night they're wearing their white 3rd, and therefore had to pack the red sweaters anyway.

I just remembered that the Hawks are playing in Dallas tomorrow, and the Stars may be wearing their alternates. Or we could both be completely wrong, but I like the red jerseys the best so I hope they do get to wear them in Dallas and Toronto.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived