NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

I must admit the Sens jersey is for the most part growing on me. I really like the striping as it adds a modern touch to their early 90's uniforms. The 'SENS' isn't too bad, but it's not great either. The black lace just gets lost against the rest of the jersey.

As for the Coyotes, initially I didn't find the jersey very interesting but seeing it with the red helmet and pants makes it more likeable. Don't see why the 'C' had to be moved to the right, but it's their call.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three minutes into the Kings game and I must say their thirds look sharp. Really sharp. The piping doesn't ruin the look after all -- at least not on TV.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

So, I have not seen this covered yet, but according to this article, the New York Islander's new third jersey's crest is not the original - it has been modified to have 4 stripes on the stick to represent the 4 cup wins, replacing the 3 marks which were originally on there.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=393099

It also contains some additional fun info on the new third jerseys. And of course, the guy running Icethetics.info gets a nod. Seems like a nice guy, unfortunately he has awful taste in jersey aesthetics as to what looks good and what really, really looks like crap.

http://www.icethetics.info/picture/3rdnyi....ctureId=1577127

Note the 4 hash marks.

I also did a quick check and the normal jerseys only have the 3 marks. Strange they'd only put it on the throwback to make it less accurate and not put it on the regular jerseys...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Three minutes into the Kings game and I must say their thirds look sharp. Really sharp. The piping doesn't ruin the look after all -- at least not on TV.

Agreed. Still not keen on the logo, but the jersey itself looks really slick. I like it a lot.

pics??

I think the Senators looked absolutely terrible on the ice. The word SENS just screams amateurish when looking at it on the ice.

The one thing I like is the stripes on the sleeve. They do have a retro feel to it. But the piping that ends in midair in the back, the amateur SENS, the swooshes and stripes that are completely unnecessary totally detract from this jersey.

Horrible effort.

ALLELUJAH!!!

I mean Seriously???

Ther is absolutely no "USP" to this shirt... What an USP??? Unique Selling Proposition...

I mean no Personality (quite fitting with the tema I must add).

A year ago, EDGE was born, everyone cried an whine about the weird panels, the curved lines, etc...

Now that they're allowed to bring back ALTs most teams dig in the vault and take a page out of their history book to bring back something from their glory days, either the shirt in its closest version (Isles, Oilers) or colours/components of (Kings). but since the Sens have no storied past, what do they do? they take the EDGE to the ultimate level on inconsistency and ridicule (are the arms striping and underarm panels symmetrical???).

The only element I think work is the stripes on the arm.

The Leaked "O-Logo" concept would have worked better for me.

Do they have two different logos on each shoulders?

The "Scarf Senator" logo is a joke right? I mean what's the purpose of that scarf??? Oh Yeah! CHOKE him... Now it makes sense...

That wordmark is hideous, makes me like the Ducks now...

I would have gone with the word Ottawa, that way it could be sold as a touristic memorabilia a-la Vancouver.

Wow! too bad I hate the Sens, or I would really be upset they picked that shirt, but thinking about it, I am not sad nor surprised...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Wasn't gold one of their colors once?

Ew, look at what the Maple Leafs are wearing tonight.

They're just wearing them pre-game. 80's awesomeness.

God, I love those jerseys. I wish they can be brought back full time...

AGREED 100%

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

pics??

kingsaltsdm5.jpg

zeiler_third.jpg

ersberg_third.jpg

ersberg_third2.jpg

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

pics??

kingsaltsdm5.jpg

zeiler_third.jpg

ersberg_third.jpg

ersberg_third2.jpg

Wow, I REALLY like those jerseys.

The only thing I hope to see is the goalies with a set of pads and a mask which is only black/white/silver. Seeing the purple kind of throws the look off a bit.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I like the Kings jersey even more than before. Besides the Penguins third, the Kings jersey is second and there is a fairly large margin between them and anyone else. That is a nearly perfect jersey for the Kings.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Cool article with some interesting observations:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=393099

Third jerseys getting first-rate reviews Tuesday, 11.18.2008 / 1:11 PM / NHL Insider By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Staff Writer The history is stitched on the stick.

The one major difference between the jerseys the New York Islanders wore in the mid-1970s and the ones they unveiled last month as their new third jersey is the stick built off the Y in their logo now has four small lines on it.

Why, you ask? Four Stanley Cup championships, of course.

It's a subtle change, but supremely important to the past, present and future of the franchise.

"They're really cool to wear," Islanders rookie Josh Bailey said, "especially for young guys because it's a little bit like being part of the team's great tradition."

Tradition is at play in a lot of the third jerseys being unveiled this season across the NHL. Tuesday night, the Flyers will become the latest to show off an old-school third jersey, which is a version that harkens back to the days of the Broad Street Bullies.

The Islanders, Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks also are wearing threads that represent the old school in a handful of games this season.

"It brings you back to guys like Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and Rene Robert," Sabres center Derek Roy said of the famed "French Connection" line and its association with the team's new third jersey. "It brings the legacy of the Sabres back."

The new school hasn't been forgotten, either.

The Dallas Stars are unveiling a new look today. The Carolina Hurricanes, Atlanta Thrashers and St. Louis Blues already have done so. The Chicago Blackhawks also have sported a unique look, separate from the retro jerseys they will don in the Winter Classic on Jan. 1.

"I think it mixes both the past and the future, but at the same time it's not as if we're messing with (a good thing) too much," Blues forward Brad Boyes said of the team's new jersey. "We're leaning more on something different ? we're not changing the whole thing."

The Blues third jersey, which sports a crest with the traditional blue note backed against the city's famed Gateway Arch, is a nice gesture to the city the Blues have called home since 1967.

Six more third jerseys are still to come, the details of those jerseys to be announced in coming days.

"It's terrific that the original uniform is being brought back and celebrated," said Edmonton President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe, who scored the first NHL goal in Oilers history in a jersey resembling the one the club debuted last month. "All of the things we take so much pride in today were accomplished in that uniform."

Third jerseys became popular in the late 1990s, and ever since every team but the Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils have sported something unique for at least a handful of games.

The Red Wings, though, will wear a throwback jersey for the 2009 Winter Classic, just as the Penguins did last season. The Penguins brought back that immensely poplar baby-blue sweater, which date to the team's inception in 1967, as a third jersey this season.

The Penguins didn't change to their current black and gold until Jan. 30, 1980.

"I like the dark blue and the (light) blue. It's a little bit different than your usual jersey."

-- Kris Letang

"I like the dark blue and the (light) blue," Penguins defenseman Kris Letang said. "It's a little bit different than your usual jersey."

Chris Smith, who operates the Web site www.Icethetics.info, which is dedicated to the aesthetics of hockey, such as jerseys and logos, said he's been following the development of the third jerseys since the summer.

In an e-mail to NHL.com, Smith wrote, "Overwhelmingly fans seem to love the throwback third jerseys. They don't sound happy about the new-style jerseys we're seeing with Atlanta and Ottawa (what's been leaked anyway) -- though fewer complaints for Tampa Bay's. They love what the Oilers, Islanders, Canucks, Penguins and Sabres are doing and I can't say I disagree."

Smith also wrote that the fans "would actually prefer to have (the throwbacks) as primary jerseys. However, I think a lot of them like seeing teams use an alternate color, like Carolina, Tampa Bay and Philadelphia."

He said his favorites were the Sabres, Islanders, Penguins and Hurricanes, though Carolina didn't go retro, considering they've only been in the market for 10 years since moving from Hartford. Instead, the Hurricanes went with a black jersey and a crest that features a storm-warning flag attached to a hockey stick laid out over a triangle.

"They look real sharp," Hurricanes forward Eric Staal told the Raleigh News and Observer.

Smith's least favorites are the third jerseys of the Thrashers and Stars.

The Thrashers have a dark red jersey with the team name written across the chest, just above a large uniform number. Similarly, the Stars' jersey is plain white with the word Dallas written on the front, above the uniform number.

"I think more people would have embraced the Code Red marketing for Atlanta's third if they had gone with one of the team's logos on the front instead of the text," Smith wrote. "However, this is from a more general perspective; for the most part fans of each individual team seem more or less happy with their new alternates."

More Kings pics...

Note in the second photo that the white patches are visible only when the arms are raised. And given the Kings inability to score this year, that won't happen often. <_<

It's difficult to see from these pictures, but also note the throwback Kings decal on the helmet, probably most visible on the last picture here with Simmonds (17) going for the puck. Close-up shots revealed that the script is the same as was used back in the Gretzky era. Good to see they went all-out and didn't use their usual helmets with the current crown logo.

ivanans_third.jpg

frolov_third.jpg

simmonds_third.jpg

Wagner Athletic Group

Archived