NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't gold one of their colors once?

Ew, look at what the Maple Leafs are wearing tonight.

They're just wearing them pre-game. 80's awesomeness.

God, I love those jerseys. I wish they can be brought back full time...

AGREED 100%

On Hockey Night in Canada, PJ Stock mentioned before the game that the players really wanted to wear those 80s jerseys for the game, but the league would not let them, the whole "we need a year's notice for marketing reasons" thing.

So even the players like the old retro ones.

It's difficult to see from these pictures, but also note the throwback Kings decal on the helmet, probably most visible on the last picture here with Simmonds (17) going for the puck. Close-up shots revealed that the script is the same as was used back in the Gretzky era. Good to see they went all-out and didn't use their usual helmets with the current crown logo.

Photo Gallery - Los Angeles Kings vs. Colorado Avalanche - November 22, 2008

83791065101xh3.jpg

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Those leafs 70's-80's jerseys are awful. I didn't like them as a kid, and i don't like them now. Thank god for the league's marketing rules...

ditto

Those unis represent the Ballard years and bad 70's era graphic design. There's nothing classic about them whatsoever. The Leafs 1935-67 uniforms are the standard for winning and aesthetics. The 90s unis come in second but would be better if not for that ugly and dated looking leaf logo.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Those leafs 70's-80's jerseys are awful. I didn't like them as a kid, and i don't like them now. Thank god for the league's marketing rules...

ditto

Those unis represent the Ballard years and bad 70's era graphic design. There's nothing classic about them whatsoever. The Leafs 1935-67 uniforms are the standard for winning and aesthetics. The 90s unis come in second but would be better if not for that ugly and dated looking leaf logo.

the 70's era of graphic design was not bad (for the most part). Some good logos came out of it (Expos, Jays, Islanders, Whalers, Oilers, etc) as well as some good uniforms. Yes there are bad memories attached to those Leafs jerseys, but who cares. They look good. They were unique (apart from the ill-fated Rangers attempt at that look and the Jets when they entered the NHL) and they did a good job at balancing the blue and white (unlike the current jerseys). They look Retro, they look campy, and it is great. It would not be a good full-time jersey to go back to, but would be a really fun throwback to reintroduce. While they aren't "classic" they do represent an era where some great players wore those jerseys. Sittler, Lanny, Tiger, Vaive, Clark and Salming, among others (Keon and Ellis for awhile), are known in that uniform. It does have a history attached to it, whether it is "classic" or not. It is a different jersey and it is liked for that reason. It broke the mold of what teams were mostly wearing at that time.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The lightning uniforms don't look bad on the ice. Replace Bolts with their logo and you have a nice looking uniform.

I really like the Lightning's Alt. They might be my favorite "modern" ones. I like the script. I'd much prefer "Lightning" to "Bolts" though.

I can't believe I thought this team would win their division.

The Kings alt is much worse than I thought it would be. I initially liked the leaked photo but I really didn't like them in action (the logo is terrible).

Bob Miller will not stop and he won't retire.

Last pic, I promise. This gives a great full body look. If the logo is the only thing they got wrong, they deserve an 'A' for sure. At least the stripes on the socks go all the way around...

odie_doughty_third.jpg

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

capt.2567e55cb7134cb3a4edd3d1ebe25bb3.ducks_stars_hockey_dna103.jpg

capt.ef524ca016c049299fcb4b6af59a638a.stars_coyotes_hockey_pnj109.jpg

:huh:

Wait...so one of those is the alternate? I noticed that they have different shoulder logos. Which is which?

I think the top one is the alternate because of the numbers and lettering (it's darker).

I think the top one is the alternate because of the numbers and lettering (it's darker).

And because the top one has the Stars primary logo on the shoulder. If you already have the primary logo on the chest, having it on the shoulder as well would be kind of redundant.

Haha. I missed the most obvious clue! ^_^

Bob Miller will not stop and he won't retire.

Last pic, I promise. This gives a great full body look. If the logo is the only thing they got wrong, they deserve an 'A' for sure. At least the stripes on the socks go all the way around...

odie_doughty_third.jpg

Agreed. Definitely love this jersey. The more I see it, the less the logo bothers me. Certainly not as good as the crown alone, but still it looks OK on the jersey. I really like how those turned out.

FLMC102112319_1024x768.jpg

FLMC101112319_1024x768.jpg

Aside from "Bolts" and the Circle piping to and from nowhere, this set looks great too.

Archived