NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Well, I'm late to the party, but I'll go through each, with a 0-10 scale:

Atlanta- 0.5...it just doesn't make sense. They push the light blue, and then don't use it at all on the alt. Plus, it's just ugly as hell.

Boston- 8...the lack of hem stripes keeps it from being a 9. I like it, regardless

Buffalo- 8.5....I like the jersey a lot, but it's nothing new(not that I wanted them to do anything new)

Carolina- 5...Meh, more black for the sake of black. I don't like the flag as a crest either.

Chicago- 9...similar to Buffalo

Dallas- 6...it's an unnecessary jersey, yes, but as far as design goes, I sorta like it. It's simple(and a tad boring)

Edmonton- 8...it's an ugly jersey, but it's a classic jersey.

LA- 7.5....I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I'm not entirely feeling it at the moment. I'd rather see a throwback(maybe the old yellow one) than a faux-back.

Isles- 8...I actually prefer the old Isles jerseys right before the RBk Edge movement, but these are nice...better than the currents.

Philadelphia- 9....I hate the Flyers, love these jerseys. The white nameplate is my favorite part.

Phoenix- 3...I hated them, then hated them more when I saw the maroon pants. The 4 points came from the logo, as I do like that

Pittsburgh- 9....I've had this jersey for 5 years now, and it's still among my favorites. Pittsburgh could have a whole slew of throwbacks that'd be great(minus the gradient-robo-pigeoned ones from the late 90s.early 2000s)

Ottawa- 2...it honestly looks like it belongs in a "my first concept" thread on here.

San Jose- 7.5...I'd like to see some hem-striping, but these are nice. They need to ditch the orange from their uniforms, as BucFan mentioned.

Tampa- 3...points go to the blue jersey, and that's it. I've never even heard them referred to as the Bolts.

Toronto- 8.5....they were one of the better alts before the Edge movement, and they still are.

St. Louis- 6.5..These are growing on me, although i think the logo could've been done better

Vancouver- 0...yes, a zero. I like the jersey, but I'm taking away any points for changing an old logo. It's pointless.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or do the buffalo and the tampa bay alternate jerseys have the same basic template?

The only similarity is the side silver piping. The stripes on the two jersey's are completely different.

It is closer to the Calgary jersey, eh?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Here comes my final gradings:

Atlanta B+ No consistency within the three uniforms, I like the shoulder logos but not the huge white patches

Boston B- Too much black, no hem stipes. The logo is good but not good enough to make up for a bland jersey

Buffalo A- I like the navy blue better than royal, only bad thing is the side piping and it's not too bad

Carolina B- I don't mind the black but I like the primary crest better and the shoulder logos are worthless being black

Chicago B+ The jersey is boring when watching on TV, but still a solid jersey and looks great up close

Dallas B Should have been green, but on it's own I like the design

Edmonton C I don't care how classic it is, the royal and orange are too bright, orange numbers don't help

Los Angeles A I love the design, crest isn't great, but I don't think it's bad

New York B Similar to Edmonton, but not as bad. The numbers make a big difference, plus no orange yoke

Philadelphia A These should be the primaries, I don't like the white nameplates but the rest of the jersey is great

Phoenix D Bad logo, maroon areas don't make sense, but the maroon helmets and pants kill it

Pittsburgh A There's a reason this is on my Christmas list, everything about this is good

Ottawa D I bet it looks terrible on TV, script is nice but it shouldn't say 'Sens'

San Jose C+ Looks good up close but boring on the ice, should have hem stipes and some orange

Tampa Bay B Everything is good except for the script 'Bolts'. Would look great with the normal logo

Toronto A Classic jersey that still looks great

St. Louis B- Haven't seen them in action, but a little more yellow or royal would be nice, and the circle takes away from the new logo

Vancouver C+ It's pretty much the same as the normal jerseys with bad logo that has been made worse in the redesign

That puts the league average at a little above a B-

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Again, why put "Bolts" on your jersey when your official nickname is "lightning". I know it's a nickname of a nickname, but it would be like the Cleveland Indians wearing jersey that read "Tribe" across the front. Are you the Tampa Bay Lightning or the Tampa Bay Bolts? If you asked the organization they would tell you they're the Tampa Bay Lightning and would thus answer the question. Leave it to the fans in the stands to give you a short nickname, but don't officialize it by putting it on the front of the jersey. That's a gear-grinder.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well, I'm late to the party, but I'll go through each, with a 0-10 scale:

Atlanta- 0.5...it just doesn't make sense. They push the light blue, and then don't use it at all on the alt. Plus, it's just ugly as hell.

Boston- 8...the lack of hem stripes keeps it from being a 9. I like it, regardless

Buffalo- 8.5....I like the jersey a lot, but it's nothing new(not that I wanted them to do anything new)

Carolina- 5...Meh, more black for the sake of black. I don't like the flag as a crest either.

Chicago- 9...similar to Buffalo

Dallas- 6...it's an unnecessary jersey, yes, but as far as design goes, I sorta like it. It's simple(and a tad boring)

Edmonton- 8...it's an ugly jersey, but it's a classic jersey.

LA- 7.5....I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I'm not entirely feeling it at the moment. I'd rather see a throwback(maybe the old yellow one) than a faux-back.

Isles- 8...I actually prefer the old Isles jerseys right before the RBk Edge movement, but these are nice...better than the currents.

Philadelphia- 9....I hate the Flyers, love these jerseys. The white nameplate is my favorite part.

Phoenix- 3...I hated them, then hated them more when I saw the maroon pants. The 4 points came from the logo, as I do like that

Pittsburgh- 9....I've had this jersey for 5 years now, and it's still among my favorites. Pittsburgh could have a whole slew of throwbacks that'd be great(minus the gradient-robo-pigeoned ones from the late 90s.early 2000s)

Ottawa- 2...it honestly looks like it belongs in a "my first concept" thread on here.

San Jose- 7.5...I'd like to see some hem-striping, but these are nice. They need to ditch the orange from their uniforms, as BucFan mentioned.

Tampa- 3...points go to the blue jersey, and that's it. I've never even heard them referred to as the Bolts.

Toronto- 8.5....they were one of the better alts before the Edge movement, and they still are.

St. Louis- 6.5..These are growing on me, although i think the logo could've been done better

Vancouver- 0...yes, a zero. I like the jersey, but I'm taking away any points for changing an old logo. It's pointless.

Come to Tampa and trust me you'll hear it. I mostly refer to them in talking as the Bolts.

Again, why put "Bolts" on your jersey when your official nickname is "lightning". I know it's a nickname of a nickname, but it would be like the Cleveland Indians wearing jersey that read "Tribe" across the front. Are you the Tampa Bay Lightning or the Tampa Bay Bolts? If you asked the organization they would tell you they're the Tampa Bay Lightning and would thus answer the question. Leave it to the fans in the stands to give you a short nickname, but don't officialize it by putting it on the front of the jersey. That's a gear-grinder.

Exhibit A: The Arizona Diamondbacks with "D-Backs"on their unis.

Come to Tampa and trust me you'll hear it. I mostly refer to them in talking as the Bolts.

Exhibit A: The Arizona Diamondbacks with "D-Backs"on their unis.

I knew someone would bring something like this up. In my eyes, it's not the same. D-Backs or Jays or Cards or Pats are all shortened versions of the team's nickname, not a completely different word. I know the fans say "Bolts" we're not disputing that, but it's not their official nickname. Every Indians fan I know calls them "The Tribe", but you will never see the team wearing a third jersey that says "TRIBE".

It's sort of like when a college basketball team takes the nickname of the arena as in "the pit" or "the barn" or "the convo" and then paints it on the floor. To me it's cooler when the gym's nickname only exists verbally and in the minds of the students and the fans and the alumni. To "officialize" it by telling everyone what it's called on the floor cheapens the in-the-know appeal of the whole thing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm just glad the Leafs didn't put a diagonal "BUDS" on the front of their thirds... that would suck terribly. However, by the looks things, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was one of the designs proposed.

Wade-sig.png

I want to like the new Kings jerseys, but something about them is off. It feels like the Crown logo was shrunk too much and the LA is too large in relation. A more traditional hem stripe or thicker version of the hem stripe they have would have been perfect IMO.

http://bruins.nhl.com

Boston unveils their thirds. Basically the same thing we've saw (the "Boston" bear logo on front, tri-stripe on arms, no stripes on hemline).

So now, all the thirds have been unveiled.

The Bruins missed a prime opportunity to go back to these babies (gold sweater)..

Orr_F.jpg

With all the things the B's did right on their primaries, they did wrong on the alternate. That Bear logo, no matter how beautiful just doesn't work for the crest. And the no hem stripes, c'mon, this isn't Toronto. I'm going to have to pass on these, piss poor effort Boston.

And while I'm here, since all the 3rd's have been released, when the hell is EA gunna release the code?

Vancouver C+ It's pretty much the same as the normal jerseys with bad logo that has been made worse in the redesign

Tid bit hypocritical now aren't we?

Tad bit redundant now, aren't we? :P

FWIW, I think his beef is with the Canucks' using an updated old logo while Dallas didn't bother. You can't get a bad mark if you don't try, it seems.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Tad bit redundant now, aren't we? :P

FWIW, I think his beef is with the Canucks' using an updated old logo while Dallas didn't bother. You can't get a bad mark if you don't try, it seems.

While I agree whole-heartedly that both are redundant, at least the 'Nucks used some new marks to distinguish their 3rd instead of just throwing their city across the front with numbers.

Just got an idea.

Each year the pens use an old jersey from their past, and use fan voting to decide it each year. They do this for about 5 years, then come out with a bitchin' all new overall redesign. Everything except the colors (though a change back to the old gold is possible) and logo are changed. Theyll make alot of money in sales, fans get to see some favorite jerseys of thiers ressurected, and other fans are exposed to a great set they may not have seen before.

oBIgzrL.png

Not really. Both are pretty much the same as the primary jersey. But on their own I like the Dallas design and don't like the Canucks. I graded those based on their design, how is that hypocritical?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived