NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

2. Sabres- I love this. I wish this was the primary

I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread but Larry Quinn (Sabres President and part owner) said in a radio interview 1-2 months ago that they'd look at making the new alternate the primary in the next couple years (assuming it was as popular as anticipated).

So hopefully we'll be living in a banana slug-free world sometime soon.

I do think it's a shame that the Sabres' primary template will be gone, though. Put a different logo on the front and those are sharp uniforms.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah Chris(icethetics guy) didn't do that good of job on his rankings

Here's mine, if anyone cares

15. Thrashers-I like modern jerseys but that's ridiculous

14. Senators-Team nickname on front?, what if the Canadiens put "Habs" on the front stupid

13. Stars- Boring, without sleeves, it be a NBA jersey

12. Sharks- Not that impressive, and I like the orange

11. Kings- needs purple

10. Coyotes- Wish they had the PHX logo on front

9. Blackhawks- they're OK, I guess

8. Canucks- So many good alternate logos, should've went green

7. Leafs- nothing to spectacular

6. Islanders- eh another retro

5. Lightning- Biased, but LOVE the blue, would have been so much better with the Florida logo

4. Hurricanes- Sharp jersey, should have the shoulder logo normal, not all black

3. Oilers- I REALLY like the way this looks, brings back Gretzky memories

1. Penguins- Love it, I almost bought one in Montreal

Blues don't get a rating? Off the charts that's why.

untitled-6.jpg

OK, I'll play. Here are my thoughts.

Atlanta - A horrific mess riddled with conflicting elements and a wordmark that is too tiny and doesn't stand out. The absolute worst 3rd jersey.

Boston - Solid, but without any bottom horizontal striping, the entire uniform ends up being overwhelmingly dark. Yellow socks would help.

Buffalo - It would be perfect if it didn't have the unnecessary and worthless white piping. It's there for no reason at all.

Carolina - A terrible and lazy attempt to join the black jersey craze. It does get a couple of points for using the secondary logo as the crest.

Chicago - This has been done before so the jersey just feels old and tired.

Dallas - Thanks to the league-wide RBK Edge templates, which is the worst thing to happen to the NHL in a long time, the Stars had to ditch their distinctive star pattern. Still, there's no excuse for the lazy and uninspired jerseys the Stars currently wear. This is nothing more than an expensive long-sleeve t-shirt and is awful in every possible way.

Edmonton - Aside for the ugly collar, this is a real winner that conjures up memories of the Oilers' greatest years. Simple, solid, and beautiful.

Los Angeles - This could've been a great sweater, but the Kings bumbled it. It's aching for a horizontal body stripe and the sleeve numbers feel awkwardly-placed above and not in the sleeve stripe.

NY Islanders - A solid classic design that works well, though the incomplete striping on the socks brings down the entire uniform.

Ottawa - A visual mess with little cohesiveness, this jersey is hurt even more by the silly "Sens" wordmark on the front.

Philadelphia - The orange looks great but they're replicating a jersey that was ugly and awkward to begin with. The 1990s road jerseys would've been a better choice.

Phoenix - I'm not even sure anyone put any real effort into designing this jersey. They just wanted to make sure it had some black in it.

Pittsburgh - The best 3rd jersey in the league. It has beautiful vibrant colors and all the elements of classic hockey jerseys.

San Jose - This is nothing more than a glorified practice jersey and nothing more. I give it a few points for using the full Shark logo, though the large "SJ" shoulder logos look tacky.

St. Louis - Nice and simple, though the colors are a bit dreary.

Tampa - The blue really pops and the bottom hem striping makes the jersey feel more complete than their standard home jersey. Still, having "Bolts" on the front is downright stupid.

Toronto - It has a classic feel to it, but it's a white third jersey and that's kind of boring. Try again in blue.

Vancouver - I love the colors and enjoy the spacing between each stripe colors. It makes them stand out more.

I wouldnt mind seeing that old style crown for the LA Kings to use... the Gretzky era logo also would be fine too...I dont get the new LA Kings 3rd jersey look with that odd logo. ehhhh.. could hav been better....

Also I wonder why dont Ottawa bring this jersey look back for a game or 2? (the original jersey that was worn at Palm Beach or so in 1990 when Ottawa and Tampa Bay were chosen for the expansion round) so here the original Ottawa jersey (at least I think that is the one)

1990ottawasenatorsll5.jpg

Plus I wonder if anyone know anything about the original TB Lightning logo the one with the Lightning blazing across with the bottom in lightning bolt mode? I'm curious as to that logo I saw years ago in the newspapers....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

^ I don't know why he likes the Senators alternates so much. They are just terrible. One of the worst jerseys I have ever seen.

I love his site but definitely don't agree with most of those picks. IMO Thrashers, Lightnings, Sens should be last.

He has poor taste in judgement. He is also very ignorant. If you saw a few weeks back, he wishes to create a "NHL Uniform and logo database" which is something that this site and NHLUniforms.com already have going for them. He just knows no one will go to his site anymore when he does not have any jersey news.

It is a website about hockey logos/uniforms, no? The guy isn't ignorant he just wants to continually build his website. I see no point to ripping his opinion on how he thinks the uniforms came out. I sure don't agree with it but to jump on his case for it is a bit unnecessary.

I've always respected you as a fellow poster but I find this post to be a poor taste in judgment.

Yeah Chris(icethetics guy) didn't do that good of job on his rankings

Here's mine, if anyone cares

15. Thrashers-I like modern jerseys but that's ridiculous

14. Senators-Team nickname on front?, what if the Canadiens put "Habs" on the front stupid

13. Stars- Boring, without sleeves, it be a NBA jersey

12. Sharks- Not that impressive, and I like the orange

11. Kings- needs purple

10. Coyotes- Wish they had the PHX logo on front

9. Blackhawks- they're OK, I guess

8. Canucks- So many good alternate logos, should've went green

7. Leafs- nothing to spectacular

6. Islanders- eh another retro

5. Lightning- Biased, but LOVE the blue, would have been so much better with the Florida logo

4. Hurricanes- Sharp jersey, should have the shoulder logo normal, not all black

3. Oilers- I REALLY like the way this looks, brings back Gretzky memories

1. Penguins- Love it, I almost bought one in Montreal

Blues don't get a rating? Off the charts that's why.

ya know, i relized I missed them

now I realize I missed the Flyers, and Bruins

so my list is updated

I was in the Kings store today before and after the Kings game vs. Chicago, and I have to say that the third jersey is a lot better looking in person and up close. The crest is still crappy, but the jersey as a whole looks better looking in person.

^ I don't know why he likes the Senators alternates so much. They are just terrible. One of the worst jerseys I have ever seen.

I love his site but definitely don't agree with most of those picks. IMO Thrashers, Lightnings, Sens should be last.

He has poor taste in judgement. He is also very ignorant. If you saw a few weeks back, he wishes to create a "NHL Uniform and logo database" which is something that this site and NHLUniforms.com already have going for them. He just knows no one will go to his site anymore when he does not have any jersey news.

It is a website about hockey logos/uniforms, no? The guy isn't ignorant he just wants to continually build his website. I see no point to ripping his opinion on how he thinks the uniforms came out. I sure don't agree with it but to jump on his case for it is a bit unnecessary.

I've always respected you as a fellow poster but I find this post to be a poor taste in judgment.

Yes his site is about logos and uniforms, but some other very comprehensive websites exist which already cater to those two topics. I just think it is silly to want to step on someone else's toes for the primary reason of not wanting to lose readership. The only reason I went there last summer and this fall was for information on 3rd jerseys - not the logo voting or any of those other concept contests. I am sure I am not the only one who has the same viewing habit on that site.

NHLUniforms.com is a fantastic website which has an extensive display of fairly accurate jerseys. I don't feel this guy could deliver the same kind of quality (when he leaked the Sens jersey, the previous Sens jerseys he was showing had the wrong crests for the wrong years) that the former site has continuously delivered. When it comes to logos, where do you think he is going to go to get his images? Chris's content in his own layout. That just bothers me.

I'm sorry you think my post is in poor taste, but I just feel this guy is stepping into other peoples well marked territory. Maybe I should have used a better word than 'ignorant' but I just don't like the idea of someone with taste which most people here disagree with try to step out of his bounds. He has put together a great site, has some pretty good connections, but I feel he has peaked and his attempt to grasp at straws is troublesome. I'm sure he could find a happy medium which isn't collecting other sites contents and relaying them as his own.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

LOL. So who's opinion is the right one? Or all are the ones that don't match your own "terribly flawed"?

imo, I would review some of your concepts before declaring a superior jersey design opinion. But this may just be a terribly flawed opinion.

No one's opinion is the right one, nitwit, that's why it's called a ****ing opinion.

Second, yes it is. ^_^

I would continue this, just to see what names you pull out in place of an actual argument, but it's really not worth it.

Besides Minnesota, any other ideas on who will get a third next season? Or besides Montreal, any other one-off or vintage celebrations? And one other question: Since we've seen Chicago and Toronto bring back the same alternate jersey as before the lockout, anyone think there is a chance the Rangers' liberty jersey comes back?

LOL. So who's opinion is the right one? Or all are the ones that don't match your own "terribly flawed"?

imo, I would review some of your concepts before declaring a superior jersey design opinion. But this may just be a terribly flawed opinion.

No one's opinion is the right one, nitwit, that's why it's called a ****ing opinion.

Second, yes it is. ^_^

I would continue this, just to see what names you pull out in place of an actual argument, but it's really not worth it.

Besides Minnesota, any other ideas on who will get a third next season? Or besides Montreal, any other one-off or vintage celebrations? And one other question: Since we've seen Chicago and Toronto bring back the same alternate jersey as before the lockout, anyone think there is a chance the Rangers' liberty jersey comes back?

If it did, keep in mind that it would be edge-ified, I remember reading on here that Reebok doesn't allow for any diagonal jersey stripes like you see on that alternate. Like, the Sharks' third is basically their old third, just no more diagonal lines (and slightly different color placement). So hopefully Reebok wouldn't screw up the Rangers.

If it did, keep in mind that it would be edge-ified, I remember reading on here that Reebok doesn't allow for any diagonal jersey stripes like you see on that alternate. Like, the Sharks' third is basically their old third, just no more diagonal lines (and slightly different color placement). So hopefully Reebok wouldn't screw up the Rangers.

Uh, the Hurricanes new alt has diagonal jersey stripes. I think they fixed that problem the second time around.

Yes his site is about logos and uniforms, but some other very comprehensive websites exist which already cater to those two topics. I just think it is silly to want to step on someone else's toes for the primary reason of not wanting to lose readership. The only reason I went there last summer and this fall was for information on 3rd jerseys - not the logo voting or any of those other concept contests. I am sure I am not the only one who has the same viewing habit on that site.

NHLUniforms.com is a fantastic website which has an extensive display of fairly accurate jerseys. I don't feel this guy could deliver the same kind of quality (when he leaked the Sens jersey, the previous Sens jerseys he was showing had the wrong crests for the wrong years) that the former site has continuously delivered. When it comes to logos, where do you think he is going to go to get his images? Chris's content in his own layout. That just bothers me.

I'm sorry you think my post is in poor taste, but I just feel this guy is stepping into other peoples well marked territory. Maybe I should have used a better word than 'ignorant' but I just don't like the idea of someone with taste which most people here disagree with try to step out of his bounds. He has put together a great site, has some pretty good connections, but I feel he has peaked and his attempt to grasp at straws is troublesome. I'm sure he could find a happy medium which isn't collecting other sites contents and relaying them as his own.

He isn't doing them anymore (if he did in the first place, not sure), and I can assure you the quality of the uniforms on display will be just fine. I have a feeling you'll be surprised with the outcome.

As for the rest of your comments I see where you're coming from when you say he is possibly infringing on others territory. However, this is the internet. There will be more than one of something, and competition can only help the landscape. It seems as though he's trying to be more than a blog, and I can't knock his enthusiasm. We clearly have different opinions on the subject but we both agree the Senators suck so let's end it at that

Uh, the Hurricanes new alt has diagonal jersey stripes. I think they fixed that problem the second time around.

You can basically do anything with an Edge jersey except skate faster :P , don't listen to rumors.

Archived