NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Can't wait to see the eventual third jerseys for the Leafs and Canadiens, with a slanting wordmark of "Buds" and "Habs", respectively... awesome idea!

If Toronto can combine that idea with a throwback to the green jerseys of the St. Pats, I'm all in.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the Idea of the Lightning putting the team nickname's nickname on an official team jersey. It's okay if announcers and fans use it as an abbreviation, but to put it on the jersey? You might as well just rename the team the Tampa Bay Bolts. It'd be like if the Florida Marlins released an alternate teal jersey that read 'fish'.

Throwing media/fan nicknames on jerseys is how most teams got the "official" names we all know and love today

Well that may be, but Tampa Bay already has an official name. Like I said, you might as well rename the team. I thought of a better example, if the Cleveland Indians starting wearing red jerseys that said "Tribe" on them. Same thing.

or the Warriors wearing "The City" or to a lesser extent the Jays, Rays (01-07), Sox, Cavs (80s-90s), Sonics, Blazers, D-Backs,...

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I don't like the Idea of the Lightning putting the team nickname's nickname on an official team jersey. It's okay if announcers and fans use it as an abbreviation, but to put it on the jersey? You might as well just rename the team the Tampa Bay Bolts. It'd be like if the Florida Marlins released an alternate teal jersey that read 'fish'.

Throwing media/fan nicknames on jerseys is how most teams got the "official" names we all know and love today

Well that may be, but Tampa Bay already has an official name. Like I said, you might as well rename the team. I thought of a better example, if the Cleveland Indians starting wearing red jerseys that said "Tribe" on them. Same thing.

or the Warriors wearing "The City" or to a lesser extent the Jays, Rays (01-07), Sox, Cavs (80s-90s), Sonics, Blazers, D-Backs,...

Wolves

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I know a bit off topic here, but since we are looking at NHL 09, is it going to be on PC as well or just Xbox 360 and PS3? That would suck because there are so many custom jerseys that people have put onto the NHL games for PC.

Yes, NHL 09 is coming out for PC. Just don't be suprised if it turns out to be yet another re-release of NHL 05.

I don't think this has been posted yet but, it provides a better visual look into what the 3rds might look like for some teams.

Jersey Database blog

Most of the jerseys shown there look sweet, but it's a shame that Dallas won't be having a green jersey.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I know a bit off topic here, but since we are looking at NHL 09, is it going to be on PC as well or just Xbox 360 and PS3? That would suck because there are so many custom jerseys that people have put onto the NHL games for PC.

Yes, NHL 09 is coming out for PC. Just don't be suprised if it turns out to be yet another re-release of NHL 05.

I don't think this has been posted yet but, it provides a better visual look into what the 3rds might look like for some teams.

Jersey Database blog

Most of the jerseys shown there look sweet, but it's a shame that Dallas won't be having a green jersey.

Thanks for link, has alot of great pics.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Jersey Database blog

Cool link, too bad the guy didn't manage to do the front of the jerseys.

too bad he doesn't know how to spell the last names of some of the players....Sharks should be PATZOLD

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

I wonder what the habs 4 alt jerseys are going to be. Their first few uniforms are vastly different from what they wear nowadays so they have a lot of options. I wonder if they'll wear their first year blue and white uniform or the barberpole uniforms. That would be interesting.

DEATH TO REEBOK

"The City" doesn't bother me, perhaps because the logo is quirky enough on its own.

I don't like any of the other examples that you mention.

What's wrong with the Flying Coyote logo? I think it's classy, and it certainly beats the howler.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What about "Mavs" written on those green alternates? What do we all think of that? I would say that it goes kinda unnoticed given the fact that the viewer is overwhelmed by the brightness of the green, and because of "mavs" not being the central feature of the jersey, the shortform is acceptable. However, regarding the Sens and Bolts, these shortforms would probably stand out much more as focal points of the jerseys, and that is why I am not to keen on the idea

Without reading through this whole thread (I've read the last 3 pages or so), does anyone know if we'll be seeing this returning this season?

I'm going to guess that if that blog didn't have anything on it, then the answer is no...which disappoints me.

article_13018_2.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Without reading through this whole thread (I've read the last 3 pages or so), does anyone know if we'll be seeing this returning this season?

I'm going to guess that if that blog didn't have anything on it, then the answer is no...which disappoints me.

article_13018_2.jpg

One of the greatest alternates of all time.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

article_13018_2.jpg

One of the greatest worst alternates of all time.

fixed

oBIgzrL.png

The Ottawa Citizen spills the beans on LA's 3rd jersey logo, Icethetics has the link. Also features the Coyote's "leaping Coyote" logo and Edmonton's supposedly 30th anniversary logo.

laklogo.gif

Very little creativity, very little appeal. Could have been better.

Here's the description of the jersey....

The Kings will unveil a predominantly black jersey with the letters ?L A? inside a pencil-point logo on the front. Broad white stripes will adorn each arm. A thin white stripe will run horizontally on each side of the jersey, just beneath the shoulder. There are no stripes at the bottom of the uniform. The color purple ? widely evident in the Kings? primary jersey ? will likely be featured in the number outlines of the alternate, though the photo copy I have doesn?t clearly show it. A better idea would have been a reprise of the Kings? original purple and gold uniforms from 1967, but the club marketers are apparently not bent on tradition.

I keep thinking it's going to look "ok" or "not as bad as I thought" but I'm sure I'm going to vomit when it's revealed.

Archived