oakland ehs

NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

the bruins jersey is a glorified practice jersey. Way too much black. Their current home is ten times better. It at least has enough gold on it that it doesnt look like crap on tv. They should've gone with something similar to the providence bruins gold 2005 throwback instead. They'd have close to a perfect uni set then.

For a league that supposedly wants to increase TV ratings they're definitely going about things all wrong. Yeah they may sell a few more jerseys to their current fanbase, which they love to gouge, but allowing every team to wear black is just stupid. Besides being totally confusing in terms of branding, black NHL uniforms are absolutely dreadful to watch on tv.

Agreed with the Bruins jersey. A bit of yellow striping on the bottom would make that jersey a 10/10, otherwise it's just a plain black jersey with the Bear logo on the front. Also not a fan of the 2 huge spoked Bruins logos on the shoulders. They just don't work right.

The Canes jersey is nice except for the grey squares on the bottom. They're just too big and out of proportion with the rest of the jersey. The shoulder patch could use a bit more grey/silver. I understand up close it can be seen just fine, but from a few feet away it's indistinguishable.

Surprisingly, I agree with Brass.

RBK is 3 for 3 this fall. This is either a harbinger of things to come, or setting us up for major disappointment down the road.

At the start of the summer last year we saw the Bruins and Capitals first and we thought that these jerseys were really going to be something special.

I say just wait.

Are any of the new 3rds in NHL 09? Or is there a code to unlock them that hasn't been released yet?

I just checked and there is a placeholder for jerseys called "Alternate". Placeholders are just a shadow of a hockey player. You don't see any glimpses of what the jerseys will look like. So there must be a code going to be released, because there is a spot to enter it.

Teams it blacked out alts are:

Atlanta

Boston

Buffalo has 2

Carolina

Chicago

Dallas

Edmonton

LA

Isles

Ottawa

Philly

Pittsburgh

Phoenix

St Louis

San Jose

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Vancouver

Why does Buffalo have 2?

Maybe they have the Sabres' Winter Classic white jerseys and those blue we saw before.

I'm really not feeling the bruins jersey. I feel it lacks somethin.

Perhaps a thin yellow hemstripe around the waist. Due to the fact that this is the 10th black hemstripe-less jersey introduced since last year, I can't get myself to say anything good about it.

Anyone whos played NHL 09, have you noticed that the Sens AHL team has a different logo on there red jerseys...just thought Id point that out.

Ah the Hurricanes. What a huge mess it turned out to be. Now the team will have to have three helmets for each players (white, red and black), two pants (red and black) and each player will need to have TWO sets of gloves (red and black)? They have a logo on the front that represents a tropical storm or some crap, so they're not even really the "hurricanes" when they sport that. They decided to drain all the color out of their primary logo and slap it on the shoulders of a black jersey so that it can barely be seen. AND, the flag design on the bottom of the jersey, no longer red (to represent a hurricane warning) is black, which pretty much makes it nothing more than just... squares. So as I said, they're a "mess" not a travesty. In my opinion to make the uniforms look nice as a solitary unit they should just put the normal primary logo (with all it's color) on the shoulders and remove all the design from the bottom of the jersey (or replace it with two stripes) and call it a day. I can live with the flag logo on the front, and overlook the teams need for extra pieces of equipment to match the new jerseys, but as it is right now, it just seems sloppy.

I still find it funny that the canes' logo actually represents a tropical storm. Way to demote your own nickname via logo. Especially when your warning flag hem stripe now means absolutely nothing. And i was wrong. The shoulder patch wont be invidible from beyond the fifth row. It will be invisible from beyond five feet.

The Bruins jersey is ok to me. Nothin too special. Wouldve liked to see the sleeve stripes on the hem to, but its no biggie. Kinda bland, but it works well.

"TAMPA BAY: Also completely different. The Lightning will introduce a predominantly dark-blue alternate with the word ?BOLTS? angling downward in white on the jersey front. A narrow white stripe is featured above a broad black stripe at the uniform base. Grey and white stripes are on each arm, and the latter half of the sleeve, to the tip, is black. "

Would this be the first time in 4-major sports history that a team nickname has appeared on the jerseys? And I dont mean Jays for Blue Jays or A's for Athletics. Can anyone think of another time a nickname has been front and center like this?

do d-backs or Mavs or Cavs count?

or even "The City" or "PHX"?

I would say the only thing that comes close is The City. the others are sortof official team nicknames. Like Knicks for Knickerbockers (I know those arent on the jerseys but you get my point) PHX i put along with NY or LA or NOLA if that ever will be used. Its a city abbreviation. Bolts is more like if the Orioles put Birds or the Mets put Amazins or the Jets put Gang Green. Very unusual IMO, surprised no one else is making a big deal about it.

Ah the Hurricanes. What a huge mess it turned out to be. Now the team will have to have three helmets for each players (white, red and black), two pants (red and black) and each player will need to have TWO sets of gloves (red and black)? They have a logo on the front that represents a tropical storm or some crap, so they're not even really the "hurricanes" when they sport that. They decided to drain all the color out of their primary logo and slap it on the shoulders of a black jersey so that it can barely be seen. AND, the flag design on the bottom of the jersey, no longer red (to represent a hurricane warning) is black, which pretty much makes it nothing more than just... squares. So as I said, they're a "mess" not a travesty. In my opinion to make the uniforms look nice as a solitary unit they should just put the normal primary logo (with all it's color) on the shoulders and remove all the design from the bottom of the jersey (or replace it with two stripes) and call it a day. I can live with the flag logo on the front, and overlook the teams need for extra pieces of equipment to match the new jerseys, but as it is right now, it just seems sloppy.

This coming from someone who's team name is the Flyers? Please explain to me what a Flyer is other than a made up word. Are we really questioning the authenticity of a logo in a league where you can find a penguin carrying a stick, a shark eating a hockey stick, a blue maple leaf or a team named the Kings that wore a queen's crown on their chest for over a decade? God forbid the Hurricanes do such a thing!

As mentioned earlier, 1 flag does mean hurricane warning in advance.

Having an extra sets of gloves and helmets is not a big deal as it's been done before on many other teams that had 3rds in the past. They won't need to carry an extra set of pants either. They'll be shells that slip over their pants like a pair of shorts like many teams already do.

Seriously, what do you care if the Carolina staff have to haul around a few pounds more of equipment?

And that alt will only be worn at home, so they don't have to haul anything. I'm more interested to see if they just lose the red pants and helmets.

I still find it funny that the canes' logo actually represents a tropical storm. Way to demote your own nickname via logo. Especially when your warning flag hem stripe now means absolutely nothing. And i was wrong. The shoulder patch wont be invidible from beyond the fifth row. It will be invisible from beyond five feet.

The Bruins jersey is ok to me. Nothin too special. Wouldve liked to see the sleeve stripes on the hem to, but its no biggie. Kinda bland, but it works well.

To address the one flag vs 2 flag issue:

One flag is either a tropical storm warning or a hurricane watch (meaning likely to hit within 36 hours)

Two flags mean that a hurricane warning has been issued (meaning likely to hit within 24 hours)

So technically, they are a watch, not a warning, but are still indicated as a hurricane, therefore justifying their logo.

But, its like saying:"We'll (porobably) be there eventually!", instead of saying "WERE HERE, B :censored: ES!"

....yeah, yeah, yeah. I know it looks better and nobody is going to look that far into it...

Anyone whos played NHL 09, have you noticed that the Sens AHL team has a different logo on there red jerseys...just thought Id point that out.

Nope, haven't noticed it yet. Haven't played the game that far.

I'm still weirded out that I got it on the 9th when the official release I heard was the 11th. I didn't think I'd ever say it, but thanks EB Games!

This coming from someone who's team name is the Flyers? Please explain to me what a Flyer is other than a made up word. Are we really questioning the authenticity of a logo in a league where you can find a penguin carrying a stick, a shark eating a hockey stick, a blue maple leaf or a team named the Kings that wore a queen's crown on their chest for over a decade? God forbid the Hurricanes do such a thing!

fly·er [flahy-er] Pronunciation Key

?noun

1. Textiles.

a. a rotating device that adds twist to the slubbing or roving and winds the stock onto a spindle or bobbin in a uniform manner.

b. a similar device for adding twist to yarn.