NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Not logo related, but I just noticed that the Detroit Red Wings are using a different font for players names than last year.

Do you mean this font?

bilde-1.jpg

For some reason, the Wings use a different font for preseason games than they do for regular season. They've done this for years. The regular font will be back when the season starts. :D

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondered why the Red Wings do that, I'm sure someone here must know. Is it because arched letters cost more for production, and they don't want to shell out money making jerseys for players who won't even make the team? I'm just assuming.

Wade-sig.png

MVP:

Yeah, it's a cost thing. The arched names cost more because each letter is unique. For example, the "R" in "Cleary" wouldn't look the same as it would in "Holmstrom" because of how long each name is and it's position. It's a lot cheaper to do names straight across or arced(where the letters are just pivoted around a circle). So, with all the guys getting cut and reassinged it just makes more sense to go cheap.

The Atlanta Braves had arched names but stopped doing it a few seasons ago because it was too expensive. Now the names are arced and it doesn't look nearly as cool.

I've always wondered why the Red Wings do that, I'm sure someone here must know. Is it because arched letters cost more for production, and they don't want to shell out money making jerseys for players who won't even make the team? I'm just assuming.

They just use name plates for the preseason, since more players are on the team. During the regular season the names are individually stitched onto the jersey.

I'm not positive, but I think the Rangers find middle ground by doing nameplated arched NOBs for the preseason.

msg-117798227822.jpg

Why is this question still being asked?

The Oilers third will be EXACTLY like their jersey of the 80s. No lace up, which was in early reports.

I love how so many people post something as fact. (and it is not just you, oakland ehs)

If you have some sort of "inside" information, post it. If you don't, then quit posting as fact. Until something is released, there are no guarantees as has been proven with Buffalo, St. Louis, and Carolina. If we believed the posts that people put on here as fact, all 3 of those team's jerseys would be very different. If you are basing it off of Berger's descriptions, that also has been proven false as he totally botched the descriptions of Buffalo (the exact same jersey as they wore in the 70's), St. Louis (striping pattern) and Carolina (stars along the bottom).

I'm basing it off of seeing third jersey previews that were shown to store owners (so they're not pre-ordering blindly, unlike with the new jerseys last season).

I worked at this store, IN the Edmonton area, and it wasn't hard to stay in touch with the goings on with the jersey.

Choose not to believe me, I really don't care, but I think I've shown that I've been right about one or two things here in the past.

They just use name plates for the preseason, since more players are on the team. During the regular season the names are individually stitched onto the jersey.

I'm not positive, but I think the Rangers find middle ground by doing nameplated arched NOBs for the preseason.

Yep, but they're screenprinted rather than sewn.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, the Oilers are unveiling their new third jersey at 10:00 AM MST on Tuesday, October 7, and UniWatch mentioned that three total jerseys will be unveiled before the ESPN Page 2 preview article goes up on Thursday. Which other debuts are we expecting this week?

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Yep, but they're screenprinted rather than sewn.

heat-pressed, prefabbed characters, actually.

Random chance sighting today. I walked into a local sports store today and casually sitting out on a rack was a Leafs third jersey. On closer inspection I noticed it was an Edge jersey. I have to say, it looked FANTASTIC. The hem stripes don't look too bad, although the crest is sitting about an inch above it and has about 4 or 5 inches of space between the collar and the top of the logo. Otherwise it is an exact carbon copy. I only got to see the replica but it has REEBOK instead of RBK on the inside tag and the reflective tape running around the inside of the collar also says REEBOK. I will admit that I will probably buy one of these at christmas time as I love the tapered look of it. This should be their full time road jersey... you will agree when they show it off.

I was going to take a pic but I told the guy who was there that I wouldn't. He admitting it shouldn't have been out so early but he didn't really care to take it down. I asked if that was the only one that he had and he said yes, so I couldn't get any info about the others. Hopefully monday night I will have some info about some of the other jerseys.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

You really should have taken a pic ... ughhh that would've been great.

I told the guy I wouldn't, but I did ask. It was right beside him so it is not like I could have snuck one when my phone makes a big CLICK sound, lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Random chance sighting today. I walked into a local sports store today and casually sitting out on a rack was a Leafs third jersey. On closer inspection I noticed it was an Edge jersey. I have to say, it looked FANTASTIC. The hem stripes don't look too bad, although the crest is sitting about an inch above it and has about 4 or 5 inches of space between the collar and the top of the logo. Otherwise it is an exact carbon copy. I only got to see the replica but it has REEBOK instead of RBK on the inside tag and the reflective tape running around the inside of the collar also says REEBOK. I will admit that I will probably buy one of these at christmas time as I love the tapered look of it. This should be their full time road jersey... you will agree when they show it off.

I was going to take a pic but I told the guy who was there that I wouldn't. He admitting it shouldn't have been out so early but he didn't really care to take it down. I asked if that was the only one that he had and he said yes, so I couldn't get any info about the others. Hopefully monday night I will have some info about some of the other jerseys.

Is the store in downtown? If it is, then I could go and check them out after class. ^_^

Wade-sig.png

Is the store in downtown? If it is, then I could go and check them out after class. ^_^

Not in Toronto, lol. I'm back at school so this is a place in Peterborough. Sorry man!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I told the guy I wouldn't, but I did ask. It was right beside him so it is not like I could have snuck one when my phone makes a big CLICK sound, lol.

The guy probably would've got in alot of trouble if you took a pic and it went on the internet.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

The guy probably would've got in alot of trouble if you took a pic and it went on the internet.

I'm sure the guys who leaked the Sabres thirds know about that. ;)

temp.png

TorontoMapleLeafs1.png

Archived