NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is ridiculous. Both of those uniforms have laceups when the originals did not. The hawks jersey also has a totally wrong logo and Detroit is missing a hem stripe....

Why the hell do they have to gratuitously put laceup strings on every single "throwback" uniform now? It doesn't compliment the uniform at all. It just makes laceups look like a stupid fad.

this is an original hawks sweater from 1935. The logo was used from 1934 to 1937 (outer ring has worn away). Would it kill them to make an accurate logo and sweater?

Chi1935-36PaulThompson.jpg

DEATH TO REEBOK

This is ridiculous. Both of those uniforms have laceups when the originals did not. The hawks jersey also has a totally wrong logo and Detroit is missing a hem stripe....

Why the hell do they have to gratuitously put laceup strings on every single "throwback" uniform now? It doesn't compliment the uniform at all. It just makes laceups look like a stupid fad.

this is an original hawks sweater from 1935. The logo was used from 1934 to 1937 (outer ring has worn away). Would it kill them to make an accurate logo and sweater?

Chi1935-36PaulThompson.jpg

Yes. Just look at the recent line of Heritage Sweaters and tell me whether they have gone down in quality of accuracy or not (for the record, the current Leafs '37 whites look like crap compared to the ones from many years back).

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

/ \ That logo is terrible, looks like a 5 year old drew it. I'm glad they updated the logo.

|

|

|

Actually it wasn't a five year old but -

Irene Castle, a famous dancer of the 1920's, who was also the wife of Founder Frederic McLaughlin, designed the original logo.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I understand the reason for the change in logo. I think anyone at this point would be leery of a bright-red face Indian, especially the Hawks, who have been pretty much the only team to dodge the whole Native American debate.

The serif on the "G", however, is unconscienable. :D

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love watching letterform freak out. It's just so damned entertaining.

Neither jersey is an exact replica of what was worn, they are throwbacks to that era of uniforms.

Detroit's uniforms, when compared to what they actually wore for that time period, is waaaaay off...

...but remember, throwbacks, not replicas.

I'm fine with the way the uniforms look. I think the game will look great, and i can't wait until New Years Day. I just hope there's some snow like there was in Buffalo.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I wonder if today's P.C. world had any influence on the blackhawks logo. I mean, do they really need everyone looking at the jersey and seeing a pure red indian? I current skin tone works just fine.

I was thinking the same thing. When that red Indian logo was used it was only shortly after a time where text books referred to Indians as "red people" or "savages". A lot has changed in those 80 years, and I bet that had some impact on the choice to not go with that logo.

Although it may not be accurate, I think the logo they went with looks better anyways.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I love watching letterform freak out. It's just so damned entertaining.

Neither jersey is an exact replica of what was worn, they are throwbacks to that era of uniforms.

Detroit's uniforms, when compared to what they actually wore for that time period, is waaaaay off...

...but remember, throwbacks, not replicas.

I'm fine with the way the uniforms look. I think the game will look great, and i can't wait until New Years Day. I just hope there's some snow like there was in Buffalo.

You'll have to forgive me for being detail oriented. I can't help being annoyed with the amount of mistakes that are floating around and the cheap product that reebok is cranking out at record speed. Even nike, which swifted the international game with their ugly vertical uniforms, paid a decent level of respect to their throwbacks. The NHL just doesn't seem to care about quality any more.

I guess I'm complaining on the wrong forum though. It's apparent that the NHL is only concerned with pumping out as many new jerseys as possible - not the accuracy of logos or throwbacks - and 99% of the board is ok with that. It does seem a little ironic to me however that criticism of historic logos is almost unwelcome here. This is a sports logo forum isn't it?

DEATH TO REEBOK

I doubt this is all Reebok's fault. The teams are fairly involved in the design aspects of the uniforms. If the team and the NHL said to go with those uniforms, i'm pretty sure Reebok will do what they ask.

And also like i said before, they are throwbacks, not replicas. Players will not wear a wool knitted sweater for the game, and that's what you want. You want a throwback to be exactly what it was 60-70 years ago. Thing was, even then not every uniform or logo was exactly the same. Replicating and mass-producing sports uniforms and logos in the textile industry has come a long way.

I've never expected a throwback uniform to be exactly as it was when whatever team originally wore it. Throwbacks simply give you the feel of what the uniforms were like, nothing more.

Now if you want to talk about people fu*king up replicas, well, we can jointly start a Mitchell and Ness thread, and i'd be on board with you there...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Other deviations in style, from the locall news tonight:

Chicago's numbers will be 3-layer, black-on-white-on-red. They'll also be a relatively standard size, meaning they'll extend well beyond the rear stripe.

Detroit's, I think, were white numbers with red outlines. However, I was completely drunk at the time, so take that as you may.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Nice "sweaters," I think Detroit would've done well to leave their shoulders blank but I can understand their reasoning for wanting the winged wheel somewhere.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I like the jerseys, but they'd both look better without the Winter Classic patch. I like the Winter Classic logo, but having it on the jerseys isn't so hot.

I agree about the laceups being sort of silly if the actual historical jerseys didn't use one. But as over-done design trends go, at least it ain't random nonsensical piping! Aesthetically, I prefer the updated Blackhawks logo.

What do textiles have to do with them wearing a jersey design that was worn in a different era?

There is no point. It was more of an obligatory "barberpole uber alles" thing, since it's the CCSLC.

I guess all the classic teams need to be wearing wool sweaters and old crappy, unsafe equipment.

No, I'm not extrapolating it that far, I just think it's kind of a silly fashion mixed metaphor to wear old-timey-fun sweaters with the ugly Edge collars. White at home would've been a sufficient Special Thing for me. I've never been fond of the old Black Hawks Chicago circle logo with the rudimentary Indian head, but that's just my pref, I suppose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I doubt this is all Reebok's fault. The teams are fairly involved in the design aspects of the uniforms. If the team and the NHL said to go with those uniforms, i'm pretty sure Reebok will do what they ask.

This is especially true with Chicago and Detroit, two teams whose jerseys went largely untouched during the Edge-ification of the NHL.

Archived