NCAA Basketball

Billy B

Heading into tonight, we have four title games.

In the CAA, George Mason wants to return to the dance, but they have to defeat upset minded William and Mary to get there.

In the MAAC, Siena survived a scare from Loyola of Maryland. Is there enough in the tank for the Saints as they face Rider.

In the SoCon, you have to feel sorry for Elon. They have to stop the juggernaut that is Davidson. If Elon wins (and that's a gigantic if), you may see the SoCon land two bids with Davidson as good as they are. So, fans of bubble teams will root for Davidson tonight.

Last, but not least, is the West Coast Conference final between WCC bully Gonzaga and tourny host San Diego. If the Toreros wins, you'll see three bids from the WCC for the first time ever (St. Mary's is assured an at-large bid). So, again, fans of teams on the bubble will want to root for Gonzaga to win (Despite my ranting and raving against the Bulldogs).

Also, coming up tonight...

-The Summit League Semifinals (Can Oral Roberts and IUPUI win to set up a massive showdown for the auto bid?)

-Sun Belt Semis (The focus is still on South Alabama and Western Kentucky, but MTSU and UALR want to put the brakes on a potential third showdown of these Sun Belt titans)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm absolutely shocked that VCU got beat. W&M is not a bad team, but VCU has pretty much owned the CAA over the last couple of years, Mason's Final Four run aside. The Patriots beat the Tribe 60-54 in Fairfax two weeks ago, alas anything's possible. If they lose, you have to wonder if the CAA will get any at-large bids.

philly.png

Picks for tonights championship games...

CAA - William and Mary continues their inprobable run by beating George Mason 57-54

MAAC - Siena is dancing with a 69-64 victory over Rider

SoCon - Davidson crushes Elon 82-62 and score 82 points in each conference tournament game while giving some help to Bubble Teams

WCC - Gonzaga gives some more love to the Bubble beating San Diego 72-67

brewerssig.jpg

So George Mason have made it to the tournament after beating William and Mary in the CAA Championship Game. It's going to be a long week for VCU to see if they did enough in the regular season.

And Siena will take the automatic bid from the MAAC. It's going to be a waiting game for Rider too, as they put together a pretty strong season.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Elon could possibly pull of the upset. They played Davidson the closest in conference, only losing by like a combined 15 points in two games.

Pigs also are going to fly out of my ears tonight if they win.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

San Diego disappoints bubble teams across the country by taking the WCC title.

Davidson doesn't let Elon pull off another upset wins the SoCon Championship.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hate the WCC.

Why couldn't the Missouri Valley pass out the "tank" memo to Drake?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

San Diego DEFINITELY just put a wrench in someone's chances, because there's no way Gonzaga doesn't get in.

I hate the WCC.

I love it when the West Coast annoys the rest of the country :P

It it also helped that the host school (San Diego) is pretty good. Let's say if Loyola Marymount or Portland hosted the WCC tournament they probably wouldn't have won it.

I hate the WCC.

I love it when the West Coast annoys the rest of the country :P

It it also helped that the host school (San Diego) is pretty good. Let's say if Loyola Marymount or Portland hosted the WCC tournament they probably wouldn't have won it.

You got that right.

Thankfully, this is the last year of the WCC school-hosted tournaments. Next year, it's moving to the Orleans Arena in Vegas.

VmWIn6B.png

Another monkey wrench was thrown last night as South Alabama fell to MTSU in the Sun Belt semis. All the more better for Western Kentucky, who gets the Blue Raiders tonight in the title game. The Jaguars are probably good enough to land an at-large bid.

Also tonight is the Horizon League finals between Cleveland State and Butler (Go Vikings!) and the Summit League finals between Oral Roberts and IUPUI (Go Ooey-Pooey!)

Well, no real surprises tonight as Butler beat Cleveland State to take the Horizon League, Western Kentucky beat MTSU to win the Sun Belt, and Oral Roberts took care of IUPUI in the Summit League.

I need some of these underdogs with low RPIs and mediocre records to go ahead and win some of these conference tournaments...I need as good a seed for Winthrop as humanly possible!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Tonight is what I call 'Pressure Cooker' night as two teams that have never been in the NCAA Tourny compete for the chance as Portland State hosts Northern Arizona in the Big Sky championship while Sacred Heart hosts Mount St. Mary's in the Northeast championship game.

Also starting today is the Big East tourny with the opener being Syracuse and Villanova in what is essentially an elimination game.

And the Orange is falling apart. So glad I stayed home this morning to watch the game...

Ouch. That sound you hear is 'Cuse's bubble bursting

I'm not sure how sympathetic I feel for the 'Cuse. Perhaps if they didn't finish seemingly 7th-to-10th in the Super East table each year they wouldn't find themselves in this predicament.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived