NCAA Basketball

Billy B

And with 2:11 left in OT, the Miss St.- Alabama game has been delayed due to a tornado. The tornado had the rafters at the Georgia Dome swaying, and bits of the dome falling.

Storm Rips Holes in Georgia Dome

23 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP) ? A severe storm ripped two holes in the side of the Georgia Dome during the Southeastern Conference tournament, halting the Alabama-Mississippi State and sending fans fleeing for the exits.

The teams were sent to the locker room while those who remained at their seats looked anxiously toward the roof. The game was stopped with Mississippi State leading 64-61 with 2:11 left in overtime.

It wasn't immediately known if a tornado struck the 16-year-old building, though a roaring noise was heard inside when the storm struck.

Rock the dome (don't rock the dome over), rock the dome......

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Illinois pulled off another upset tonight, this time against Purdue. They will be playing the winner of Minnesota and Indiana in what is now a close game. And thanks to the Big Ten Network, I'll be listening to it on the radio.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Judging from the damage outside the Georgia Dome, I think it's pretty safe to say that was a tornado.

Anybody know if Philips Arena or Alexander Memorial Coliseum is available for the weekend?

EDIT-I think Philips is free Saturday and Sunday based on a quick scan of the Hawks and Thrasher's schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pitt defeats Marquette to make it to the Big East Final for the 7th time in the past 8 years...potentially the 6th loss as we face the #1 seeded Georgetown, who defeated us in the same game last year.

Also, watching this video of what happened to the Georgia Dome, inside and outside - thats scary.

oBIgzrL.png

So the UGA-UK game is ppd. Do they do a doubleheader tomorrow for UGA/UK?

Have the UGA/UK game at noon, the TENN/ARK game at 3 and the MSU/UGA-UK winner at 9?

That is definatly a disadvantage for UGA and Kentucky but there is really no other way except extend it past Selection Sunday.

saBS.png

Shinyhubcaps-who is Big East team #8 (or 7) as you seem to think Pitt is autobid or bust.

Now that I look at it, they're only going to get 7 total, but I still believe that Pittsburgh's ranking (and prior to today, whether they got in at all) is dependent on their success in the tournament.

1. Georgetown

2. Louisville

3. Connecticut

T-4. Marquette

T-4. Notre Dame

6. West Virginia

7. Pittsburgh

I believe that Pitt winning over Marquette goes to seal their bid in the tournament. West Virginia and Pitt could move up these rankings due to their recent performance.

I guess the other team I was thinking of may have been Villanova; they're 20-12 overall and 9-9 in the Big East. I wanted to maybe include Syracuse on a pity bid, because when they don't get in, Jim Boeheim will whine about it, and all of the sports writers will speculate expanding the field to 128 teams.

At any rate, they'll have a good showing with 7 teams.

Wonder if Flame of Atlanta might have been there for the game...he's a big State fan!

I wasn't there, but I was trying hard to get some tickets to the game. Good thing I didn't I suppose. (Or maybe not, since State did end up winning the game.)

But yeah, the tension I felt when that game went into OT was only rivaled by the tension I felt from watching the weather outside. It's crazy, downtown Atlanta is a MESS right now. I highly doubt that the game's gonna be at the Georgia Dome tomorrow, seeing as how they have flooding ontop of damage to the outside of the place. Philips Arena also has a small hole in its roof as well. Like I said, downtown Atlanta is just a complete mess right now.

Shinyhubcaps-who is Big East team #8 (or 7) as you seem to think Pitt is autobid or bust.

Now that I look at it, they're only going to get 7 total, but I still believe that Pittsburgh's ranking (and prior to today, whether they got in at all) is dependent on their success in the tournament.

1. Georgetown

2. Louisville

3. Connecticut

T-4. Marquette

T-4. Notre Dame

6. West Virginia

7. Pittsburgh

I believe that Pitt winning over Marquette goes to seal their bid in the tournament. West Virginia and Pitt could move up these rankings due to their recent performance.

I guess the other team I was thinking of may have been Villanova; they're 20-12 overall and 9-9 in the Big East. I wanted to maybe include Syracuse on a pity bid, because when they don't get in, Jim Boeheim will whine about it, and all of the sports writers will speculate expanding the field to 128 teams.

At any rate, they'll have a good showing with 7 teams.

Ummm Pitt sealed their NCAA bid with a win in the first round, they are playing for seeding and could be anywhere from a 4(if they win tomorrow) or an 8(the NCAA loves to screw Pitt when it comes to seeding).

Judging from the damage outside the Georgia Dome, I think it's pretty safe to say that was a tornado.

Anybody know if Philips Arena or Alexander Memorial Coliseum is available for the weekend?

EDIT-I think Philips is free Saturday and Sunday based on a quick scan of the Hawks and Thrasher's schedule.

There are no sporting events at Philips on Saturday and Sunday, but there is some music performance Saturday and an exclusive event Sunday, so they'll have that to contend with.

I was at the Hawks game tonight at Philips, but luckily, I had left around 15 minutes before the storm hit. Had it been a Thrashers game, I would be stuck in that madness downtown.

Boston College pulled an upset over MAryland last night, but proceeded to lose by 34 tonight to Clemson.

I'm excited for next year. Any I just saw Minn-Ind. on Sportsceenter and yes, it was the most amazing shot in years. That kid also made a game-winning shot from his butt in high school what won an ESPY.

According to ESPN, the SEC isn't going to make a decision until MORNING! There appear to be significant facility-readiness issues about whether they could play at all, even tomorrrow.

There can't be any way you make that call at 7 or 8 a.m. and then call UGa and UK and tell them they have a game in two hours.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Question. If Illinois wins the Big Ten (ha! ha! ha!), do you send the Illini to Dayton?

They should. But they won't. Heck, they'll probably get the the 5 seed, as back when Syracuse won the Big East (after being on the wrong side of the bubble) that's what they got.

Well, 8 seed maybe, Big Ten isn't the best Conference.

Did anyone just see the Minnesota-Indiana game? What an ending.

*makes mental note vis-a-vis having Indiana lose in the first weekend on bracket*

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

According to ESPN, the SEC isn't going to make a decision until MORNING! There appear to be significant facility-readiness issues about whether they could play at all, even tomorrrow.

There can't be any way you make that call at 7 or 8 a.m. and then call UGa and UK and tell them they have a game in two hours.

They want to look at the damage when the sun's out. You aren't gonna play games in a building where fans and players and officials are being put at risk of the building not structurally sound.

Whichever games are played probably won't be started until 1pm, with the 3rd game starting in the evening, like around 7pm or so.

Question. If Illinois wins the Big Ten (ha! ha! ha!), do you send the Illini to Dayton?
They should. But they won't. Heck, they'll probably get the the 5 seed, as back when Syracuse won the Big East (after being on the wrong side of the bubble) that's what they got.

Yes, but Syracuse was a more legit bubble team. Illinois will still be under .500.

LvZYtbZ.png

Yes, but Syracuse was a more legit bubble team. Illinois will still be under .500.

Yes, but they were still terribly overseeded. I was trying to imply the committee will put teams at certain (relatively high) seeds, regardless of whether or not they are actually any good, if they win a BCS 6 tournament. That said, they'll probably get dumped in the finals like they did in the '99 tournament, rendering this entire discussion moot.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived