NCAA Basketball

Billy B

Question. If Illinois wins the Big Ten (ha! ha! ha!), do you send the Illini to Dayton?
They should. But they won't. Heck, they'll probably get the the 5 seed, as back when Syracuse won the Big East (after being on the wrong side of the bubble) that's what they got.

Well, 8 seed maybe, Big Ten isn't the best Conference.

Yes, but Syracuse was a more legit bubble team. Illinois will still be under .500.

If Illinois is able to win the conference tournament, I think they would be a 14 or 15 seed. They did beat Arizona State and now Purdue. But this has been a really disappointing year. They blew games against Indiana (2), Purdue, and Arizona. Add that to losing to some bad teams like Tennessee State, Maryland, and Miami (OH) and you have a frustrating year.

I had optimism so far as they should have beat Penn State and Purdue in the regular season and actually played to their potential in the tourney. Now they play a Minnesota team that they beat earlier. But if you want to keep looking ahead they lost pretty badly to the two teams in the other semi, so that isn't looking good. I'm already looking too far ahead anyways, but crazier things have happened.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did anyone just see the Minnesota-Indiana game? What an ending.

I did. That puts me in exclusive company...I live in Big Ten Country and have the Big Ten Network. Too bad so few people got to see such a great game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wonder how Georgia fans are taking it that they now have to play at the home court of their arch rivals.

In other non-weather related news, congrats to American on their 1st ever NCAA tourny bid by defeating Colgate at home on Friday.

I wonder how Georgia fans are taking it that they now have to play at the home court of their arch rivals.

It won't matter. They aren't allowing any fans to come to the games since its so small. Players and coaches families, cheerleaders, bands, and media are the only ones they are letting in.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

It won't matter. They aren't allowing any fans to come to the games since its so small. Players and coaches families, cheerleaders, bands, and media are the only ones they are letting in.

...I KNOW UK fans are pissed off now. Especially since now if they try to win the whole tournament, they'll have to play 3 games in 27 hours.

Either way, I'm happy that MSU gets the winner of THAT game. :D

Ummm Pitt sealed their NCAA bid with a win in the first round, they are playing for seeding and could be anywhere from a 4(if they win tomorrow) or an 8(the NCAA loves to screw Pitt when it comes to seeding).

But they were still a bubble team going into the tournament. That was my point; I just didn't know, prior to defeating Marquette, if they had "clinched" or not, seeing as there is no definitive "clinch" unless you win the conference. As I recall, the Big East had the highest RPI average other than the ACC, and they were talking about 7 or even 8 teams but only got 6 bids. I think the NCAA will cap the major conferences at some point, and I wasn't sure if Pitt got in yet; Syracuse had a good record last year and didn't get in.

Cancel the previous Big Ten Network bashing, the semis are on CBS.

Georgia beat Kentucky in overtime, now they get a few hours to rest up for the other Bulldogs.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I was loving every second of it. I was kinda sad that Swansey from UGA hit a freak 3 to win the game, instead of hitting a 2 that would've sent it to double OT. But I'm definitely not complaining. :D

Same here. I don't know if that's the most shocking part or the fact that they beat two teams that were on the bubble in Ole Miss and Kentucky (I don't buy UK getting in. I'm sorry, but that 12-4 conference mark is just a cover-up for those horrendous losses to Gardner-Webb and San Diego).

Also, congrats to UMBC for reaching their first ever NCAA tourny. That makes it three newcomers now (UMBC, American and Portland State)

...I KNOW UK fans are pissed off now. Especially since now if they try to win the whole tournament, they'll have to play 3 games in 27 hours.

Either way, I'm happy that MSU gets the winner of THAT game. :D

Kentucky fans are gonna be more pissed about not getting to see their team even play. Of all the SEC fans in town, Kentucky fans are the most numerous and spend the most money here. I feel really bad for them.

As for the Georgia fans, this tournament could be played in Athens and they still wouldn't fill half the place....

Meanwhile, the Big 5 will be represented in the tourney once again, as the winner of the A-10 battle between St. Joe's and Temple will get Philly's only nod.

By the way... WTF is up with hosting this tournament in Atlantic City? It was in Philadelphia forever, then Dayton, then AC, then Dayton again, now AC. Why not keep it in Philly? Besides, three A-10 teams are based here.

philly.png

Archived