Question about atl falcons' unis

CrookedThumb

I was on NJTank's website, and I was checking out the Atlanta Falcons pictures. I came across this photo of Tim Green, and the caption below it said that he played from 1986-1993. The pictures shows him wearing a black helmet, and the numbers were red. The Falcons never started to have red road numbers (w/ black helmets) until 1997. Did they have a special one-day road jersey, or something?

TGreenAtl_180x250.JPG

The Falcons site confirms those were the years he played, and that was his number. Here are other 99's though who Tank MIGHT have mixed up somehow, but I doubt it...

Tim Green '86-93; Darryl Talley '95; Nathan Davis '97; Chuck Wiley '00-01; Demetrin Veal '03-

Maybe that s preseason since that page is actually in place of the left shoulder numbers.

I was on NJTank's website, and I was checking out the Atlanta Falcons pictures. I came across this photo of Tim Green, and the caption below it said that he played from 1986-1993. The pictures shows him wearing a black helmet, and the numbers were red. The Falcons never started to have red road numbers (w/ black helmets) until 1997. Did they have a special one-day road jersey, or something?

The first year Jerry Glanville came along and the Falcons switched to primary black, their road jerseys did have red numbers.  Here's the only other picture I could find.

Chris Miller

Notice the black-red-black stripes on the pants, as opposed to the red-black-red pants stripes Atlanta wore starting in '98.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

I believe that to be the 25th anniversary patch... which they wore in 90... i rememebr they had that as shirts, hats, stickers, etc

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

From the Falcons website:

In 1990, the Falcons once again wore black jerseys as they did in their inaugural years. The 1990 season marked Atlanta's 25th anniversary season in the NFL, and the team wore a commemorative patch on their left shoulder. In addition, the Falcons switched to a black helmet with a black face mask and a white Falcon crest logo. The home jersey was black with white numbers trimmed in red with a white Falcon crest logo on the sleeves. The away jersey was white with black numbers trimmed in red with a black falcon crest logo trimmed in red on the sleeves. The pants were silver metallic with a red stripe down the middle trimmed in white with black trim.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/history/001/056/

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

From the Falcons website:

In 1990, the Falcons once again wore black jerseys as they did in their inaugural years. The 1990 season marked Atlanta's 25th anniversary season in the NFL, and the team wore a commemorative patch on their left shoulder. In addition, the Falcons switched to a black helmet with a black face mask and a white Falcon crest logo. The home jersey was black with white numbers trimmed in red with a white Falcon crest logo on the sleeves. The away jersey was white with black numbers trimmed in red with a black falcon crest logo trimmed in red on the sleeves. The pants were silver metallic with a red stripe down the middle trimmed in white with black trim.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/history/001/056/

I read this account myself as well, but it isn't completely accurate.  This description is listed on the team site as the jerseys from 1990-2002, but we know starting in '98 the numbers on the road jersey became red and the stripes on the pants became red-black-red (as pictured.)  

I'm absolutely positive that the Falcons played the 1990 season with red numbers on the road.  I remeber being upset when they switched to black numbers in 1991.  

However, if someone can find a picture of a white Falcons jersey with black numbers AND the 1990 25th anniversary patch on the left shoulder, I shall be humbled and deem myself incorrect.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Archived