Replies compared to views

puckcool22

When we make concepts, time and energy goes into these.  I think it is frustrating, when you see that 100 people have looked at your concept without saying a word about them.  I think this is a serious problem.  In fact, using data from page 8 because those threads are probably not getting anymore replies or views, I made this pie graph (copy/paste) on how truly little replies there are to views.

How to fix this problem of lurkers.  Chris Creamer, I know this is your forum.  Maybe you could make it so membership (a boardname) is not neccessary to post on this forum.  Perhaps you could institute a guest, or anonymous boardname.

Thanks for your time

signature.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not sure either whty its so low. I try t reply to every concept, but sometimes I feel I have nothing constructive to add, but others get allot more response so I dont know what to say.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Some things to take into account.

1. I don't think there should be an option to be an anonymous or guest poster (and sometimes you see posts by a person with the name in red, and the person labelled as 'unregistered', so I think there may be some kind of option like this anyway), because this reduces the control Chris has when he, for instance, bans a person. What's the point of doing that if they can just continue their nonsense anonymously?

2. The quality, the level of originality, and the subject of the concept has something to do with how many replies it gets. You'll notice very few of nitroseed's concepts go uncommented on. Also, a recolouring of a logo won't get as many replies as a completely new creation. Lastly, a Detroit Red Wings concept will get more replies (mostly from fans concerned about what you've done now) than a Nobody's-Ever-Heard-Of-Us University concept.

In the end, it's a fact of life that some things get ignored, whether they deserve to or not. It's unfortunate it works that way... ideally the computer would read everyone's mind when they view a concept and automatically post that person's thoughts about it. But it doesn't.

One thing that SHB tried with his latest was posting it as a poll, where you just vote what you think about it (whether you like it, hate it, etc, etc). Voting in a poll is a lot easier than posting a reply, although the feedback is obviously significantly less interactive.

In closing, I don't think that 'guest' posting should be allowed... registration here is a quick and painless activity, after all... and if your concept doesn't get many replies, don't take it to heart, and don't abandon it either... perhaps keep working on it, maybe rerelease it months later, and see what happens.

Oh, and the extent that the designer makes use of the feedback can also impact the amount of feedback he gets. For instance, if I submit a reply chock-full of suggestions I think could work, and the designer just smiles and nods, well, I'll be less inclined to post that many suggestions the next time.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I've been a member for some time and my post count is rather low. I guess I'm pretty much a lurker.

I really resent puckcool22's comments. In fact I nearly take offense.

If the members here look at your concept and chose not to post a reply, that's their preogative. There are as many reasons why members comment or don't comment as there are members on the board, probably more.

I understand how frustrating it can be when you don't get the feedback you want, but there's really nothing you can do but continue making concepts until someone replys.

habs, taking offence at his post is ludicrous. A designer spends a lot of time creating a labor of love, posts it, then gets a bunch of views, and not even a "good job" or a "I hate blue" ?? That sucks, it is a sorry way to be, and it should stop.

Now, anonymous posting doesn't seem to me to be the way to fix this. But I do think a registration should expire if you don't post once a month. And, I really think there should be a plea to board views to please comment on the designs you view. Even if it isn't a detailed, SyPhi-worthy dissertation and breakdown about how to fix and improve, simply a "this rocks" or "I like it, but the green sucks" or even "go buy something other than paint."

So, in all, I?d say, lets quit trying to change the rules, and just all try to step up, and comment on folks' work. Even stuff that might have taken some of us 20 minutes, takes other days.

Thanks.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

puckcool, you make a good point, but you're making it seem like no one takes the time to reply to concepts. It's not something we can make people do. Sure, id love to get more feedback than i do too.

Look at it this way...I would guess a little less than 1/2 of the views to a topic are by the poster who created the topic themself. A certain number of views (lets use 120 for an example) doesnt mean 120 different users checked out the post. So that pie graph isnt all that bad looking if you broke it down to user views compared to replies.

Also, if you want more people replying to your topics, reply to thiers too. It's common courtesy if someone replys to your topic to go and comment on what they have to share.(or at least thats how i look at it). Not trying to point you out puck, but of the 8 concept topics on the front page you've made 2 total replies, both being in your own concept thread. Just trying to finish my point that if you want people to take the time and give you some input, show them that you're willing give your input to their stuff too. :;):

i agree with puckcool, but i sometimes i can't post a response/critique....sometimes i look at a concept and want to post something, but my boss walks into my office and i have to quickly close the window, and by the time i get back to it, i've forgotten what i was gonna post.

yes, it does drive me nuts when a concept of mine seems to go unnoticed (although i see over 200 views), but i (as r. crumb's mr. natural would say) keep on truckin'.

Like Joel, I don't always have time to post a response to every concept...I work at home, but I'm really busy (you can tell by how out-of-date my website is most of the time).  The other thing is, I'm not a graphic designer, and though I may have some opinions on what might be good or not so good, most of the time my opinion is usually covered by one of the posters on here anyway.  That's probably a lame excuse, but I'm being honest (!).

And in addition, I'm more interested in actual uniform/logo unveilings, or historical things...if a post is labeled as "fantasy", or has anything to do with video games, I'm probably not even going to open the thread...

Deleting old and unused user accounts is good management...BUT...

I strongly disagree with the expiration of user accounts if you don't post once every month.  I was always brought up that if you can't say anything constructive then don't say anything at all.  Forcing ppl to post may be counter productive in that more flamewars will start over the less than stellar concepts that at times hit this board.  I know if I HAD to post I'd come across as even more cynical than I do already and would end up in a few good flamewars.  The attention whores among us would probably use obligatory posting as an excuse to pad their post counts to get the little title thing in their avatar....not good for quality control.

Also, some ppl actually come here to read news and dislike the heavy emphasis on concepts so they completely ignore all concepts out of habit.

Lastly, a lot of people have no interest in particular sports at all.  I've noticed that concepts and chatter on this board are heavily slanted towards hockey and football, while NBA/college basketball things get little airplay or derision.  I'm a basketball nut but have no interest in the other Big 4 sports or their many derivatives.  To each their own I guess.

In summary, leave the board how it is.  If someone's nose is pushed out of joint because of no posts in their sacred thread then they can either 1) take it as a sign that they need to get better as a designer to make their concept reply-worthy or 2) choose to channel their creative efforts into something else more suited to them.

FWIW I participated in the latest fantasy logo contest.  My design got no votes and no comments.  I'll take that as a sign that I'm not a Nitroseed-league designer and go back to designing for my own enjoyment...  Lack of feedback doesn't worry me as I don't do this for profit, I do it for fun and I don't need someone else's validation to make me feel like a better person/designer.

I don't think it's a problem at all. You can't expect a comment to accompany every view.

Typically, I'll comment on every thread, but I usually view each thread 5 or 6 more times just to see what everyone else has written before adding any more comments. Sometimes I don't comment any further.

Some very valid points have been made so far...

Look at it this way...I would guess a little less than 1/2 of the views to a topic are by the poster who created the topic themself. A certain number of views (lets use 120 for an example) doesnt mean 120 different users checked out the post.
So, in all, I?d say, lets quit trying to change the rules, and just all try to step up, and comment on folks' work.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I have no artistic talent (if I ever get around to posting some of the things I've "created", you'll see that).  By the time I review many of the things that all of you have created, my typical comment would be "me too".  Given those two facts, I generally don't comment much.  My apologies if that's a problem, but it's a fact.

There have been several other good points made in this thread.  Rather than "me tooing" them, I'll second (or third) the following notions:

- give feedback to others, as you would have feedback done to you

- voting for feedback minimizes the utility of it

- if feedback isn't acted or commented upon, it is less likely to be given in the future

There's a lot of really good talent on this board.  Don't get discouraged by those of us who don't always share our thoughts.

It's where I sit.

One major reason I'm not on a lot of concept threads is that, by the time I get to most threads, other members have said everything I would have said.

That pretty much sums up why I hardly reply in concept threads.

Why do you need 200 people telling you it looks good?  or that it looks bad?

I'm not going to allow unregistered posters onto this board anytime soon... however you can post unregistered on general discussion.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

why do guests need to be allowed to post. It's not like becoming a member is a hard thing to do. If someone really wanted to add their thoughts on a subject they could just become a member.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Archived