MLS Seattle To Choose Name Via On-Line Voting

Brian in Boston

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's also very Wizard of Oz, and it's bad enough that we have one team in MLS that uses Wizard of Oz imagery.

Also, I thought everyone decided that fan votes for names were a terrible idea after the Houston 1836 fiasco?

Ahhh yes, the inapproproiate and un-PC Houston 1836. What were they thinking on that one?

What a wasted golden opportunity to emphasize the historical and current USL 1st Division Soccer Club, the Seattle Sounders! FC is too generic, Alliance and Republic are more of the lines of some localized bureaucracy. And I thought MLS was trying to be unique!!!

By the way, I don't hear anyone b****ing about the San Jose Earthquakes being rejuvenated once again! (ie, from the NASL days).

Sheesh MLS, where's the creativity? :cursing:

I think this has to do with MLS wanting to distance itself from USL. Maybe MLS is being too arrogant, they should take advantage of the sounder name. MLS should've thought about EMERALD CITY F.C. rather than Alliance and Republic of just F.C..

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

What a wasted golden opportunity to emphasize the historical and current USL 1st Division Soccer Club, the Seattle Sounders! FC is too generic, Alliance and Republic are more of the lines of some localized bureaucracy. And I thought MLS was trying to be unique!!!

By the way, I don't hear anyone b****ing about the San Jose Earthquakes being rejuvenated once again! (ie, from the NASL days).

Sheesh MLS, where's the creativity? :cursing:

I think this has to do with MLS wanting to distance itself from USL. Maybe MLS is being too arrogant, they should take advantage of the sounder name. MLS should've thought about EMERALD CITY F.C. rather than Alliance and Republic of just F.C..

Maybe the MLS should take its cues from works of literature more recent and relevant than L. Frank Baum's famous work. And how is "Emerald City" like "Manchester City"? Manchester is the name of the city, not the nickname of the city. "Seattle City" would be like "Manchester City"

Although why you would want to be named in the style of the LA Clippers of the EPL is another, entirely debatable subject.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They missed such an obvious option, EMERALD CITY. It has the euro flair (Manchester City, etc.) but is uniquely Seattle. Too bad.

I agree and wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the name. Like the Houston fiasco, I have a strong feeling that this will be revisited before it's all said and done. Also, the nickname "Greens" for Emerald City FC fits like a glove in this enviro-friendly region.

I've long been a supporter of the European-inspired names in MLS. But I do agree with those of you who think MLS missed an opportunity. I love the Sounders identity, just like I admire the Portland Timbers identify, and the MLS really had a chance to embrace a piece of American soccer history. This is unfortunate.

I'd love if they used Sounders, but I don't think it's going to happen. Emerald City (or Emerald City FC) would also work too. I know there's some talk that if Minnesota gets an MLS team (longshot) to use the name Thunder, but I still prefer my AC/TC idea. :D

sportsbanner-single.jpg

I've long been a supporter of the European-inspired names in MLS. But I do agree with those of you who think MLS missed an opportunity. I love the Sounders identity, just like I admire the Portland Timbers identify, and the MLS really had a chance to embrace a piece of American soccer history. This is unfortunate.

I'm in exactly the same position. I love embracing the global tradition of the game, but recognizing great local traditions where they fit. This one fits like a glove, and if the captains of industry running MLS could muster 100 IQ points among them, Seattle would have had the shortest team-name search in history.

So I think that all of us that love the name Sounders should vote for it in the write-in vote, and get everyone we know to do so as well. I'm sure we can vote on different computers and at least every day too, so I say we make a real push at making a write-in vote win. What should we write in though? Seattle Sounders, Sounders, Sounders FC?

Frankly, I may be biased, being a child of the seventies, but I think that in MANY cases, the MLS would do well to adopt the name of the previous NASL franchise-- especially if said franchise has SOME history to it.

It's not without precedent -- the "San Jose Clash" (so hip, so now, so... "90s") being changed to the NASL namesake San Jose Earthquakes.

And in the case of the Pacific Northwest, is it not obvious that all three major cities in the current USL feature the old NASL names: Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps? This despite a few years of alternate names during those cities' years in the minor leagues of soccer (Vancouver 86ers, FC Seattle Storm, etc.). Seattle, in fact, uses the SAME LOGO as they did in the NASL years... Clearly, there is an opportunity for continuity and history here; a real continuity and history unlike the attempts to create an instant history via Euro-naming. (i.e., "FC Seattle" may sound more "traditional" in a European football sense, but "Seattle Sounders" already goes back about 30 years.

Seattle.jpg

It is what it is.

I'm going with a straight "Seattle Sounders", myself.

As I've come to understand it from reading about it at usldiscussions.com, it needs to strictly be "Seattle Sounders," or at the very least not include an "FC," to be counted correctly. If you put FC on it, it'll end up counting separately from the other Sounders entries.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I am going to write in something. I don't really care for any of the 3 main choices and really don't like Sounders. Though am thinking of spamming all the Star Wars message boards I can find and tell them all to pick Alliance.

I am going to write in something. I don't really care for any of the 3 main choices and really don't like Sounders. Though am thinking of spamming all the Star Wars message boards I can find and tell them all to pick Alliance.

Please don't. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived