2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Ladies and Gentlemen.... your first place Tampa Bay Devil Rays! :D

Just 161 to go for that undefeated season!!! Go Rays.

Edit: Almost forgot the undefeated Kansas City Royals. What a playoff matchup, the undefeated Rays vs. the 150-12 Royals with the winner advancing to play the 144-18 Washington Nationals in the World Series. Hope springs eternal on Opening Day.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some of the changes at The Jake Progressive Field.

jake.png

80297001.jpg

80442380.jpg

By the way they won.

And they wore these babies.

80443895.jpg

80452459.jpg

Sorry Getty :cry:

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Holy crap!...Chipper with a 2 run single...now 9-7...then Teixiera pops up...

so it's 9-7, 2 outs, runners on the corner, McCann comes up...flys to middle left field and the Pirates players just misplay it. Tie game. Going to the 10th.

and another note...although the Cubbies lost...how about this guy?

XdwFWl8h.jpg

Quandary tomorrow. I have class at 1:15, and if I go, I won't get home until after 3:00. The best rivalry in the National League goes down at 1:20, and it's on THREE STATIONS! I can have my pick. If I get tired of the Cubs-praising commentators on WGN, or moreso on ESPN2, I can switch over to FSN.

So I'm not sure, but biology is about as useful to me as a headcold, so I think I'll skip and watch the game. Has anyone done this?

You've lost your mind if you think Cubs Brewers is the best rivalry in the division let alone in the NL.

Read everything if you're going to comment on it. I amended it to be the best relevant rivalry in the National League, with other nods going out to some pairings in the other divisions. If we're talking NL Central, St. Louis is not at all on people's minds. Milwaukee and Chicago is a developing rivalry, and given the fact that about half of all Nostradamuses out there picked the Brewers and half picked the Cubs, and a small number picked the Reds, then I don't see how anyone can think that CHI/STL is anything more than a chance to raise ticket prices this year.

And, it was a great game. Who knew Gagne was going to absolutely waste his first save appearance? I was just yelling to get that guy out of there! It turns out that with a 45 minute delay to start and a 48 minute delay in the 3rd, I may as well have stayed at school. But again, biology is useless anyway.

Quandary tomorrow. I have class at 1:15, and if I go, I won't get home until after 3:00. The best rivalry in the National League goes down at 1:20, and it's on THREE STATIONS! I can have my pick. If I get tired of the Cubs-praising commentators on WGN, or moreso on ESPN2, I can switch over to FSN.

So I'm not sure, but biology is about as useful to me as a headcold, so I think I'll skip and watch the game. Has anyone done this?

You've lost your mind if you think Cubs Brewers is the best rivalry in the division let alone in the NL.

Read everything if you're going to comment on it. I amended it to be the best relevant rivalry in the National League, with other nods going out to some pairings in the other divisions. If we're talking NL Central, St. Louis is not at all on people's minds. Milwaukee and Chicago is a developing rivalry, and given the fact that about half of all Nostradamuses out there picked the Brewers and half picked the Cubs, and a small number picked the Reds, then I don't see how anyone can think that CHI/STL is anything more than a chance to raise ticket prices this year.

And, it was a great game. Who knew Gagne was going to absolutely waste his first save appearance? I was just yelling to get that guy out of there! It turns out that with a 45 minute delay to start and a 48 minute delay in the 3rd, I may as well have stayed at school. But again, biology is useless anyway.

dude, if youve watched Eric Gagne for the last 2+ seasons, you had to have had an inkling he was going to blow it. he hasnt been the same since LA.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

dude, if youve watched Eric Gagne for the last 2+ seasons, you had to have had an inkling he was going to blow it. he hasnt been the same since LA.

And he needs to wear a uniform that fits...

Doesn't Milwaukee actually need to have fans first for a rivalry to take off? ( :P )

In all honesty, the Brewers need to play up to their purported talent level for a "rivalry" to be meaningful.

Also in all honesty, as the NL Central looks to be the "Comedy Central" again, can you justifiably call any rivalry in this division the most relevant in the National League?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Speaking of Extra Innings, the free preview is now through Sunday. And since MLB and the NHL share the same channels, I'll also get to see some Center Ice this week.....

If you order Extra Innings, you will also get to see at least the first 2 rounds of the NHL playoffs as well.

Conversely, if you have Center Ice, you'll get to see pretty much the first 2 months of the baseball season.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Doesn't Milwaukee actually need to have fans first for a rivalry to take off? ( :P )

In all honesty, the Brewers need to play up to their purported talent level for a "rivalry" to be meaningful.

Also in all honesty, as the NL Central looks to be the "Comedy Central" again, can you justifiably call any rivalry in this division the most relevant in the National League?

Milwaukee's been doing well. They had the 12th highest attendance in the majors last year, and given the TV interest sparked by last year's run, FSN Wisconsin bumped their coverage up to 140 games, which is much more than last year (105, I think). So yes, they have fans, and their talent level is only purported to be high because of their level of play last year which showed their potential, albeit inconsistently.

How do you mean "Comedy Central"? It's not as stacked as the NL West, but it's competitive, and it might have the Wild Card if the top teams do as well as they are capable of doing. Beyond that, I don't know who I offended or why they're offended by my post wherein I promoted my team. It's like a campaign promise. Nobody should take it seriously.

If I were to defend it, I'd say that the NL West is too much of a jumble to pick out which teams are competitive rivals... I'd say maybe COL-ARZ or COL-SD, but then again, the Rockies didn't turn it on until late last season. NL East, I'd say NY-PHI is a good matchup as well, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. Everybody is picking New York.

Milwaukee's been doing well. They had the 12th highest attendance in the majors last year, and given the TV interest sparked by last year's run, FSN Wisconsin bumped their coverage up to 140 games, which is much more than last year (105, I think). So yes, they have fans, and their talent level is only purported to be high because of their level of play last year which showed their potential, albeit inconsistently.

How do you mean "Comedy Central"? It's not as stacked as the NL West, but it's competitive, and it might have the Wild Card if the top teams do as well as they are capable of doing. Beyond that, I don't know who I offended or why they're offended by my post wherein I promoted my team. It's like a campaign promise. Nobody should take it seriously.

If I were to defend it, I'd say that the NL West is too much of a jumble to pick out which teams are competitive rivals... I'd say maybe COL-ARZ or COL-SD, but then again, the Rockies didn't turn it on until late last season. NL East, I'd say NY-PHI is a good matchup as well, but it seems to be a foregone conclusion. Everybody is picking New York.

I think its unfair to say that two teams need to be good to have a good rivalry (that "competitive rivalry" nonsense). Cubs/Cards is a better rivalry historically and so is Mets/Braves.

On a sad note, the Braves fall 12-11 in 12 innings. It was a great game, but I'm disappointed in the outcome.

Speaking of Extra Innings, the free preview is now through Sunday. And since MLB and the NHL share the same channels, I'll also get to see some Center Ice this week.....

If you order Extra Innings, you will also get to see at least the first 2 rounds of the NHL playoffs as well.

Conversely, if you have Center Ice, you'll get to see pretty much the first 2 months of the baseball season.

Yeah, but only suckers pay for this......

How many of those attendees were fans of the road team taking advantage of the available seats to see their home team play?

Their "run" last year was the result of a generously easy April and early May schedule...once they actually started playing decent teams the Brewers generally fell back to Earth. Hope they have a similarly easy schedule early this year.

The Division's garbage, son...Milwaukee and Chicago might rack up decent win totals against the other four teams in the division, but out of it....*winces*. I strongly doubt the division winner will have more than 90 wins, and given recent history, even eclipsing that might be a generous stretch. On "what they are capable of doing," yeah, and if LaRussa rolls a natural 20 on his critical hit roll El Birdos might actually win 75 games. Needless to say, I would not bank on the Wild Card being in this Division. Also...you weren't promoting your team, you were suggesting the Brewers-Cubs "rivalry" was the best in the league. Key distinction.

Whether or not those are rivalry games, I would argue that if "relevancy" is the crux of your argument, then all of those examples you just named trump Cubs-Brewers. Ultimately one of those teams is going to win the league pennant.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How many of those attendees were fans of the road team taking advantage of the available seats to see their home team play?

[Lee Corso]Not so fast my friend[/Lee Corso]

The only fans who really do this are Cubs fans....otherwise its the normal amount of stragglers from other towns as in any other city. Last year there weren't even as many Cubs fans as usual with the renewed excitement for Brewers Baseball in Milwaukee, did you come to Miller Park at all last year???

The fact is they were in the top half of attendance...there are "road team fans" at almost any ballpark, so that arguement can be made for almost any team. The fact is that a young, exciting, energetic, charasmatic Brewers team has rejuvinated baseball in Milwaukee. That being said, any predictions at the beginning of a baseball season can be completely turned to $#!t by injury, and a host of other things. Does anyone really know what is going to happen? No. Can we predict what is going to happen? Yes- but chances are your predictions will be wrong...this is why Las Vegas is successful, peoples' predictions are wrong more than they are right.

brewerssig.jpg

Cards-Cubs trumps Brewers-Cubs in anything and everything. Pundits can say what they will, the Cardinals will be competitive, specifically in this division. If they're competitive they're relevant. And if they're relevant and the Cubs are relevant, theirs no better rivalry in baseball where fans lives aren't in jeopardy.

I think its unfair to say that two teams need to be good to have a good rivalry (that "competitive rivalry" nonsense). Cubs/Cards is a better rivalry historically and so is Mets/Braves.

So if New York Yankees were 100-61 and Boston Red Sox were 20-141 and they happened to play each other for game #162, and Tampa Bay and Toronto were 90-71 and facing each other for the last playoff spot, it would be more exciting to watch the Red Sox/Yankees because it's a rivalry? There are other factors in rivalries than age. (And no, I'm not saying that the Red Sox will ever go 20-141.) Real-world example, Mets/Phillies will be a better rivalry for this season if not historically, because their level of competition is closer, and the Mets are looking to recover from their big drop-off at the end of last season.

Also...you weren't promoting your team, you were suggesting the Brewers-Cubs "rivalry" was the best in the league. Key distinction.

Read it again, and imagine me in person talking about it with people who shared my excitement. I'm not preaching to people trying to convince them that it's the best rivalry. My friends are Brewers fans, and I know plenty of Cubs fans, and I could say that in front of any of them in an excited tone and they wouldn't sit and stir and try to pounce upon the flaws of my argument because they'd know there is no argument. The fact that you extracted that small portion of my original post proves that you missed the point of the post altogether as it was a minor, tone-setting detail, not an objective expression. Maybe it would be that if I posted a topic where I said it was the best and tried to defend it, but I just mentioned it to promote my excitement. Key difference.

Whether or not those are rivalry games, I would argue that if "relevancy" is the crux of your argument, then all of those examples you just named trump Cubs-Brewers. Ultimately one of those teams is going to win the league pennant.

While I never hold any stock in what John Kruk says, he picked the Cubs to win the World Series. There are plenty of people out there who don't think that one of those teams is going to win the pennant. Additionally, I said many good teams, so the odds are already in their favor for winning the pennant over two possible 90-win teams. I'm sure the NL West will have the Wild Card, but I wouldn't write off the NL Central; just because the division is generally weak, the best teams can be contenders against anyone in the other divisions.

As far as being the crux of my argument, there is no argument. I did not say that, as a point of fact, the Brewers-Cubs rivalry is the best in baseball. I said it in passing as part of my expression of excitement, which incidentally, has diminished because of people who make everything into their own forum for arguments. It's like a rock band saying before a show that the city they are playing in is the best city in the world. Chalk that one up to excitement, not someone who is prepared to defend it like a thesis. I apologize if my excitement has offended anyone. (Much like my first post was excitement, this is sarcasm. It can easily be taken out of context.)

Cards-Cubs trumps Brewers-Cubs in anything and everything.

Except for combined records.

EDIT: I edited this to make it less obtrusive-sounding. I just want to end this, because I mentioned it in an excited post as if I were an event promoter, not as if I were stating it as fact and prepared to defend it. Additionally, "best" rivalry is irrelevant, because words like "best," much like most adjectives, are entirely relative.

So if New York Yankees were 100-61 and Boston Red Sox were 20-141 and they happened to play each other for game #162, and Tampa Bay and Toronto were 90-71 and facing each other for the last playoff spot, it would be more exciting to watch the Red Sox/Yankees because it's a rivalry? There are other factors in rivalries than age. (And no, I'm not saying that the Red Sox will ever go 20-141.) Real-world example, Mets/Phillies will be a better rivalry for this season if not historically, because their level of competition is closer, and the Mets are looking to recover from their big drop-off at the end of last season.

Also...you weren't promoting your team, you were suggesting the Brewers-Cubs "rivalry" was the best in the league. Key distinction.

That would be true if you knew how to read tone. Read it again, and imagine me in person talking about it with people who shared my excitement. I'm not preaching to people trying to convince them that it's the best rivalry. My friends are Brewers fans, and I know plenty of Cubs fans, and I could say that in front of any of them in an excited tone and they wouldn't sit and stir and try to pounce upon the flaws of my argument because they'd know there is no argument. The fact that you extracted that small portion of my original post proves that you missed the point of the post altogether as it was a minor, tone-setting detail, not an objective expression. Key difference.

Can I see the crystal ball that told you that? While I never hold any stock in what John Kruk says, he picked the Cubs to win the World Series. There are plenty of people out there who don't think that one of those teams is going to win the pennant. Additionally, I said many good teams, so the odds are already in their favor for winning the pennant over two possible 90-win teams. As far as being the crux of my argument, there is no crux because there is no argument. I did not say that, as a point of fact, the Brewers-Cubs rivalry is the best in baseball. I said it in passing as part of my expression of excitement, which incidentally, has diminished because of people who make everything into their own forum for arguments. It's like a rock band saying before a show that the city they are playing in is the best city in the world. Chalk that one up to excitement, not someone who is prepared to defend it like a thesis. Sorry for having fun and saying something before running it through a fact-checker to see if people could possibly be offended by it.

And for those who cannot read tone, that last sentence was sarcasm.

Cards-Cubs trumps Brewers-Cubs in anything and everything.

Except for combined records.

Last year and '82. Good job.

Archived