Colts looking for new horse

sj32

You can complain all you want about the compensation (and let the record show that I'm one of the biggest advocates for fair practice both in terms of compensation and the elimination of spec work), but the fact of the matter is, the NFL and its teams will not consider unsolicited designs or designers per league policy since the incident with the Ravens' logo. If signing away the rights to your artwork for a contest with a dirt prize is the only way to get your logo on NFL merch, then so be it. Somebody's going to be $1,000 (plus the value of 8 lower-level game tickets) richer and they're going to have their logo on NFL licensed swag. And you, you're going to be sitting at your 9 to 5 complaining about how the Colts are cheap bastards and how much money they're going to (potentially) make from a 'pennies-on-the-dollar' thousand buck investment. Got a better idea for getting your name out there? You can count on one hand the members of this board who have done work for the NFL. It's pretty elite company, and sometimes you just can't put a price on that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can complain all you want about the compensation (and let the record show that I'm one of the biggest advocates for fair practice both in terms of compensation and the elimination of spec work), but the fact of the matter is, the NFL and its teams will not consider unsolicited designs or designers per league policy since the incident with the Ravens' logo. If signing away the rights to your artwork for a contest with a dirt prize is the only way to get your logo on NFL merch, then so be it. Somebody's going to be $1,000 (plus the value of 8 lower-level game tickets) richer and they're going to have their logo on NFL licensed swag. And you, you're going to be sitting at your 9 to 5 complaining about how the Colts are cheap bastards and how much money they're going to (potentially) make from a 'pennies-on-the-dollar' thousand buck investment. Got a better idea for getting your name out there? You can count on one hand the members of this board who have done work for the NFL. It's pretty elite company, and sometimes you just can't put a price on that.

Damn it, 'Drew--you beat me to it.

(As i sit here doodling possible logo ideas for this here contest...something I ain't exactly known for, either, I might add...)

That's like a lifetime achievement award right there...even if it is only a "foot-in-the-door" type deal on the surface--at first. But as you get older, and have children (like me), and they grow up (and maybe become football fans), and see the Colts and, if they still are using the logo they choose as the winner, see said logo, that's something you can sit on your daughter or son on your knee and tell them their daddy (or momma, if there are any female designers in this community) designed that logo, and watch their eyes well up with pride...yours too.

(And suddenly I'm reminded of a certain sig someone in here once had with a little baby and the quote "Daddy...can I draw logos when I grow up?" Who was that, by the way?)

Look--for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of having kids, this may seem a bit much...but ask the parents, and soon-to-BE-parent, in this community--this makes a LOT of sense.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's my entry:

328.gif

B)

I know there's going to be a thousand of them, but I'm doing a modernized version of this one, sans the helmet(since you can't use the horseshoe). Since you can submit two, I'll do a totally original one as well, but here's a preview:

coltsfo2.gif

It still needs some tweaking. I'm thinking of adding a little dust puff behind his leg, since mine is more kicking up dirt than bucking. As far as the Colts being cheap goes, I don't think that's the case at all. I think this is great for the fans of the team and/or the NFL. Instead of shilling out a million bucks to a big design firm, they are letting the fans directly submit what they want, and as a bonus, all it costs them is $1000 bucks. I'm looking at this as an opportunity. I'll take 1000 bucks and a logo design for a pro franchise, and a NFL franchise to boot! I'm sort of an honorary Colts fan too, because my whole family was Baltimore Colts fans back before I was born, and I hate the Pats sooooo much lol.

I wish more teams would do things like this. I love designing sports logos, and the number of times I would be able to design one for a pro team is probably ZERO, and I'm a graphic design student/soon to be full time artist. Contests like this give everyone a shot, not just the guys who have jobs at giant design firms.

Throw this over in the "Concepts" forum and see what kind of responses you get. I actually have a draft that looks a bit similar to this, so now I'm starting over. This is a REAL good modernization, by the way. And if I may add my two cents...leave out the dust clouds. The horse looks strong enough on its own as is.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

(As i sit here doodling possible logo ideas for this here contest...something I ain't exactly known for, either, I might add...)

That's like a lifetime achievement award right there...even if it is only a "foot-in-the-door" type deal on the surface--at first. But as you get older, and have children (like me), and they grow up (and maybe become football fans), and see the Colts and, if they still are using the logo they choose as the winner, see said logo, that's something you can sit on your daughter or son on your knee and tell them their daddy (or momma, if there are any female designers in this community) designed that logo, and watch their eyes well up with pride...yours too.

(And suddenly I'm reminded of a certain sig someone in here once had with a little baby and the quote "Daddy...can I draw logos when I grow up?" Who was that, by the way?)

Look--for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of having kids, this may seem a bit much...but ask the parents, and soon-to-BE-parent, in this community--this makes a LOT of sense.

You assume everyone in this forum is either a parent, or will be some day. Pretty big assumption, I would say.

Boogity Boogity Boogity.

I'm in.

*that was me btw. Daddy, Can I draw logos when I grow up. We move our server and I never changed the banners so its not visible anymore.

PS - Yes, the dollar amount is atrocious. But whatchagonnado? My "success" hasn't yielded leads by the truckload. Gotta keep trying.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

You assume everyone in this forum is either a parent, or will be some day. Pretty big assumption, I would say.

Did I miss something here? Hope I ain't offend no one by that--that DEFINITELY wasn't intentional.

Boogity Boogity Boogity.

I'm in.

*that was me btw. Daddy, Can I draw logos when I grow up. We move our server and I never changed the banners so its not visible anymore.

PS - Yes, the dollar amount is atrocious. But whatchagonnado? My "success" hasn't yielded leads by the truckload. Gotta keep trying.

Maybe he was saying some folks on the board shouldn't reproduce.

AMEN!!!!!

aZogIyu.pngfXsuJwP.png

We've got this new demonic, blue horse sculpture here at our airport here in Denver:

sculpture.jpg

It's really swell.

That thing's even freaky in the daytime. There's an exact replica in Nebraska or something. But yah, I passed that Bronco from hell many times.

I believe there is an exact replica of that horse as well on the University of Oklahoma campus. It sits across the street from a local pub. I've walked home many a night past the demonic horse, or at least it seemed demonic at the time.

i need some help with this legalese...

"Once submitted, all designs and all rights to those designs will become the property of the Indianapolis Colts, Inc."

"I have read the rules on colts.com/designahorse and agree to the terms on behalf of myself. I further specifically certify and agree that I am over 18, the enclosed design is my own creation, I own all rights in the design and I hereby assign all rights, including intellectual property rights in it to the Indianapolis Colts, Inc."

does this mean that these designs could be used by the colts without compensation, if desired? does this also mean that you could not sell said design to someone else if it weren't selected? i've done a logo that i'm very pleased with, but the chances of me winning the contest are pretty slim (especially knowing that some of the heavyweights on this board are in) - i'd still like to submit it and see what happens, but if it doesn't win, i'd like the option of selling it (there is a very remote chance of that happening, too, but the odds are better than winning this contest) - if i'm reading the "fine print" correctly, selling the logo won't be an option...anyone have any insight?

jldesigns404eo.png

April 16th I believe. I think it's on the PDF you send in with it.

And yeah, Leggman, you can't get any further mileage out of your idea if you send it in. It's theirs.

That's not wholly uncommon though.

Where is teh deadlien date or registration form? Way to have a contest and make it hard to find how to enter.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Here's my entry:

328.gif

B)

I know there's going to be a thousand of them, but I'm doing a modernized version of this one, sans the helmet(since you can't use the horseshoe). Since you can submit two, I'll do a totally original one as well, but here's a preview:

coltsfo2.gif

It still needs some tweaking.

This is good but it sure doesn't look 'playful', which is one of the requirements. It looks menacing.

All designs submitted should incorporate a youthful hose that is ?playful yet strong,? and which should appeal to Colts fans.

444px-Black_bucket_blue_hose.jpg

At first I was like, "What the..." but you're right, the original press release has that typo. That's hilarious. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

And yeah, Leggman, you can't get any further mileage out of your idea if you send it in. It's theirs.

That's not wholly uncommon though.

sterling - thanks for the insight...i think i'll keep the rights to my design...i'll probably never sell it, but i think i have a better chance of selling it than winning this contest (especially since my design isn't particularly "playful", which i read as "kid friendly" in a cute, cudly mascot sort of way) - good luck to all who do choose to enter this contest - i hope that someone from these boards is chosen!

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived