Detroit Tigers alternate jersey

Gothamite

I specifically remember seeing ESPN highlights from early in the 1995 season with the Tigers wearing these jerseys. One thing I do remember about them -- they had no names on the back.

I can't offer proof either, but I'm extremely confident this is exactly correct. They were worn in 1995 at least once, and they had no names on the back. I remember it as a Sunday afternoon game.

Also, in regards to the earlier statement about them wearing them with pinstripe pants: that was the original plan when the alts were announced in the pre-season. In fact, I have a baseball card somewhere of a Tiger pitcher wearing the alt. with pinstripe pants. However, I'm positive that afternoon I saw the Tigers take the field in these alts, they were wearing their regular home pants.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, the home uniform could stand to have some orange trim on the numbers and the D. I dont care how perfect the lot of you say the Tigers home uniforms are, there needs to be some orange on them. You got two team colors, use them.

Agreed. Even if it's only used as trim or something really minor, some orange is better than no orange.

Here in Motown, we LOVE the Tiger's home uniform. We are quite happy with the orange being used on the road uniforms. There would be a revolt if the home uniforms were changed. The Tiger's home whites are among the best uni's in baseball.

With that said, my suggestion for the road uniform would be a grey version of the home per the link below:

1925 Tigers

• 1 month later...
Finally, proof.

You guys have some pretty good memories - we now know they were worn in at least one regular-series game, during the day, against the Red Sox, and there were no names on the back. Well remembered, all.

Nice find!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Finally, proof.

You guys have some pretty good memories - we now know they were worn in at least one regular-series game, during the day, against the Red Sox, and there were no names on the back. Well remembered, all.

Nice find!

Definitely. And I miss those mid-90's SportsCenter graphics before everything exploded.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Those jerseys and hats were AWESOME! I owned both of them.

I love how the Tigers look on the road, but at home they're just way too boring. I wish the organization had the guts to add orange trim to the home uniforms and maybe bring the Tiger-D logo in as the full-time logo.

Anyway, to the original poster who wrote that St. Louis never had an alternate - I remember them wearing red jerseys during the big McGwire-Sosa homerun chase in the late 90s. Am I mistaken?

OF COURSE they wore them at least once! Why did you doubt me! --

:)

Dave Murray (GR Muckraker)

And yes, I did indeed talk to John McHale about it that year, as was accurately reported on Uniwatch. My beef, as I stated to McHale, was that if they weren't going to wear them, they needed to stop calling them "authentic" in the gift shop and drop the price. He didn't see it that way.

Cool find on the video.

Anyway, to the original poster who wrote that St. Louis never had an alternate - I remember them wearing red jerseys during the big McGwire-Sosa homerun chase in the late 90s. Am I mistaken?

They wore BP jerseys in one game, IIRC. Auctioned off afterwards for charity or something.

Finally, proof.

Nice find!

Definitely. And I miss those mid-90's SportsCenter graphics before everything exploded.

And no incessant fantasy updates all over the stat sheet.

There needs to be more nothing on youtube.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Will the anti-Henderson jihad ever abate?! :D

Only when people stop listing his guide as a credible source. :P

Do you at least consider it a starting point and send in corrections when you find them in order to improve it, or do you just slam it when you can? I smell an agenda here...

and techincally, the Expos never had an alt. They did wear their BPs for a game in Philly once though (and said BPs were the sharp looking, non-templated threads from before 04...or was it 03?)

You mean this beauty here? (Which now resides in my collection, BTW)

000_0001.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Will the anti-Henderson jihad ever abate?! :D

Only when people stop listing his guide as a credible source. :P

Do you at least consider it a starting point and send in corrections when you find them in order to improve it, or do you just slam it when you can? I smell an agenda here...

and techincally, the Expos never had an alt. They did wear their BPs for a game in Philly once though (and said BPs were the sharp looking, non-templated threads from before 04...or was it 03?)

You mean this beauty here? (Which now resides in my collection, BTW)

000_0001.jpg

Ah yes I remember that day, I was there at the Vet. Thought it was ironic because a Canadian team chose to wear it on the 4th of July. I believe it was 2002?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

They wore a "Montreal" BP jersey at some point? Never knew that. I own the "Expos" one, which is what was worn that screamingly hot day at the Vet.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They wore BP jerseys in one game, IIRC. Auctioned off afterwards for charity or something.

I'm a lurker here that has never posted, but I collect jerseys and own a blue Tigers alt. from 1995 (I'm a BIG Tigers fan.) I believe that the Cardinals wore a knit red alt. jersey for one game in 1998 or 1999, then auctioned them off. I vividly recall seeing a knit red Cards alt. for sale in a sporting goods store in the late 1990s. It was a Russell authentic ... shoulda bought it (along with the Angels' navy blue alt with powder blue sleeves one gamer ... UGLY!). I have 90 or so jerseys (some of them bought from Henderson), so I know the difference between an authentic, bp and replica. I've connected with one or two diehard Cardinals fans over the years that have vouched for the authenticity of the one-gamer. Just trying to get my hands on one...

Yep, you were right. Well done.

Do you at least consider (the Henderson guide) a starting point and send in corrections when you find them in order to improve it, or do you just slam it when you can? I smell an agenda here...

No agenda other than accuracy.

And FWIW, I've started working with him to at least improve the Brewers section. I really want it to be a credible guide, it just isn't there yet.

As for the Cards, I would love any actual evidence that the red they wore was not BP but an actual honest-to-goodness alt, making the Yankees the only team in the modern era to have but one home and one road jersey. Maybe if Chris has the style guide - what year would that have been?

Yep, you were right. Well done.
Do you at least consider (the Henderson guide) a starting point and send in corrections when you find them in order to improve it, or do you just slam it when you can? I smell an agenda here...

No agenda other than accuracy.

And FWIW, I've started working with him to at least improve the Brewers section. I really want it to be a credible guide, it just isn't there yet.

As for the Cards, I would love any actual evidence that the red they wore was not BP but an actual honest-to-goodness alt, making the Yankees the only team in the modern era to have but one home and one road jersey. Maybe if Chris has the style guide - what year would that have been?

The Cardinals wore them in 1999, either on Labor Day, or right around it (within a day or two, I believe after). Now, I'm not for sure if it was a BP or actual double-knit, but I do remember in the winter of 1997 when they were announcing the updated logos, new Sunday cap, BP, etc. for the '98 season, they said with the BP, which was red and had navy piping, that they may also use them in some games, but to date, that game in 1999 game is the only time they've worn them. We sold player pictures at Busch Stadium from what appeared to be that game, and the jerseys appeared to be mesh. I don't have exact proof, but I'm pretty sure they were the mesh BP's and not a one-time double-knit jersey. Unless someone kind find something to contradict this.

I can think of two other instances where a team wore an (Intended) alternate jersey just one game then for some reason, got rid of it.

The Cincinnati Reds wore a Red Alternate in the 80's or 90's that spelled out "CINCINNATI" across the front.

In the 70's or 80's, The Phillies experimented with an all Burgundy Home Uni and soon got rid of it.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Archived