Detroit Tigers alternate jersey

Gothamite

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the same vein as the Tigers' one-off alternate, I'd love to see a list of games that the Red Sox wore their red and white alternate caps, which were introduced in 1997 and promptly abandoned.

I know that the red hats were worn on a few occasions - or at least, more than once. I actually owned one of these. It was noteworthy because the "B" was white, and not blue, like the throwback hats that could be bought at the time.

The white hats, on the other hand, I can only definitely remember being worn once. This was the game that the new mascot, Wally the Green Monster, was introduced (and roundly booed). This was 04/13/1997, and it was billed as "Kid's Day" or something to that effect. I don't recall the white hats ever being worn after that.

12 minutes ago, projectjohn said:

Perhaps you misread "road" as "home"? I've never been a big fan of their current iteration road jersey. The 1984 era ones were far superior. Different strokes, I guess.

Different strokes for sure, and nothing wrong with that! :) I'm just of the opinion that the Tigers have the best set in baseball as is. The road has just the perfect amount of orange and the "Detroit" script is a thing of beauty. The idea behind the pullovers was fine, but I strongly dislike pullovers and thus don't feel the concept was as well executed. I could get behind it though if it were a button down and the stripes were thinned to navy-white-orange piping though, and the white outline taken off the orange "D" on the cap.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I know bumping a thread this old is frowned upon, but I promise it's worth it. Apparently, last month, someone finally found a picture of this jersey in action from the only game it was ever worn in.

It's grainy and black-and-white, but it's the best we have.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that jersey, other than debuting it at home. Would have been a fine and appropriate road alternate.

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Different strokes for sure, and nothing wrong with that! :) I'm just of the opinion that the Tigers have the best set in baseball as is. The road has just the perfect amount of orange and the "Detroit" script is a thing of beauty.

The only change I would make to the road jersey would be eliminating the white. They don't need it, orange and navy work perfectly well by themselves, and it just clutters up the incredible script. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The only change I would make to the road jersey would be eliminating the white. They don't need it, orange and navy work perfectly well by themselves, and it just clutters up the incredible script. 

Yep, it sure looked really good back in the day:

IMG_6537.JPG.a33e4bacf8d0ea92d4afe91035666d3a.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

22 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I know bumping a thread this old is frowned upon, but I promise it's worth it. Apparently, last month, someone finally found a picture of this jersey in action from the only game it was ever worn in.

It's grainy and black-and-white, but it's the best we have.

It's a little hard to make out, but it looks like the cap logo isn't the tiger coming out of the D logo, right? It looks more like the regular cap logo without the tiger. If so, I wonder if they used the white D or the orange D.

This website has them wearing the tiger coming out of the D logo, but it really doesn't look to be the case at least to me: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/lyt91yqgb37tv2auexddonqll/Detroit_Tigers/1995/Alternate_Uniform

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

How many teams are left that still only wear white at home and Gray on the road... Yankees, Tigers... anybody else?  Do we really need every single team in MLB spending half their games dressed like a softball rec team?

The Cardinals and Dodgers, I think?

Maybe I missed something or misread the posts about the cards, but do you not consider the cream St. Louis as an alternate? I'm a little more modern, but I don't mind a rarely used color jersey. There are 162 games in the regular season and if the tigers wore navy say 10 times, it wouldn't kill anyone.

KISSwall09.jpg

58 minutes ago, hormone said:

I'm a little more modern, but I don't mind a rarely used color jersey. There are 162 games in the regular season and if the tigers wore navy say 10 times, it wouldn't kill anyone.

Fatal? No. Good idea? No.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Different strokes for sure, and nothing wrong with that! :) I'm just of the opinion that the Tigers have the best set in baseball as is. The road has just the perfect amount of orange and the "Detroit" script is a thing of beauty. The idea behind the pullovers was fine, but I strongly dislike pullovers and thus don't feel the concept was as well executed. I could get behind it though if it were a button down and the stripes were thinned to navy-white-orange piping though, and the white outline taken off the orange "D" on the cap.

I don't hold the Tigers (or Yankees) set in high regard. I think both homes are classics that I would never touch if I got the title of uniform czar. However, both are just "meh" in my opinion (especially the Tigers). I really like the Tigers' script jersey they wore for one year in the '50s. Throw an orange outline around the navy and that is a great jersey; much superior to their current homes. But like I said, I'd never change them at this point.

However, I do really like both teams' road sets. I agree that the Tigers' roads would look better without the white outline. However, they still look good with the white. Also, I love the white outlines on the Yankees roads. Since they've been wearing it for close to 50 years (and 7 titles), I think it's passed the point of being inappropriate for a storied franchise, and also passed the point of being dated with the 70's cuffs. Also, I feel the white outlines and stripes add a tiny bit of life to an otherwise boring look with no names on the back. Also, no, the Yankees shouldn't add names to their jerseys (but the Red Sox should add names at home).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On 6/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, hormone said:

Maybe I missed something or misread the posts about the cards, but do you not consider the cream St. Louis as an alternate? I'm a little more modern, but I don't mind a rarely used color jersey. There are 162 games in the regular season and if the tigers wore navy say 10 times, it wouldn't kill anyone.

Great point. I was thinking primary/secondary color-tops as alternates. I forgot they had the cream St. Louis alternates. (They even wore them last night against the Pirates!)

On 6/22/2017 at 11:51 AM, DoubleStraps said:

In the same vein as the Tigers' one-off alternate, I'd love to see a list of games that the Red Sox wore their red and white alternate caps, which were introduced in 1997 and promptly abandoned.

I know that the red hats were worn on a few occasions - or at least, more than once. I actually owned one of these. It was noteworthy because the "B" was white, and not blue, like the throwback hats that could be bought at the time.

The white hats, on the other hand, I can only definitely remember being worn once. This was the game that the new mascot, Wally the Green Monster, was introduced (and roundly booed). This was 04/13/1997, and it was billed as "Kid's Day" or something to that effect. I don't recall the white hats ever being worn after that.

The red cap from the 70's was far superior IMO - mostly because of what you mentioned. White B just doesn't look right.

On the other hand, the white cap is actually a pretty clean look. Wouldn't mind it as a Sunday alternate, always loved it as a kid.

1188443547_404f51141e.jpg

2cf5zjb.jpg

Archived