Do You Think the NBA Can Make Playoff History....

Bronxmet

That would be cool to see, because it allows for very strong playoff matchups in the first round. The first round is always a bore, and they drag it out forever. The NCAA, on the other hand (where upsets happen), has an exciting first round, which is undoubtedly the most exciting in all of sports. I would love to see a powerful team in 8th place, and if they have 50 wins, that means that they beat quality teams as well.

That would be cool to see, because it allows for very strong playoff matchups in the first round. The first round is always a bore, and they drag it out forever. The NCAA, on the other hand (where upsets happen), has an exciting first round, which is undoubtedly the most exciting in all of sports. I would love to see a powerful team in 8th place, and if they have 50 wins, that means that they beat quality teams as well.

It takes exactly as long as the NHL...yet no one here complains about that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I have a feeling this year, you will see 3 out of the 4 matchups in the Western Conference go 7 games. With 2 of them will no doubt be an upset. I hate to say this, but if Denver makes it, they will definitely make a definite case for themselves by poosibly beating a number 1 seed whoever that may be. This maybe the best year for the playoffs that we may ever had

It used to be (best of) 5-7-7-7, and now it's 7-7-7-7. It seems longer because it is longer than what it was previously, and the switch was made, but it seems pretty pointless.

If you mean here, on the boards, I know that a lot of people here are fans of the NHL in general. If you're not a fan of the NBA in general, or your team's not in it, it just seems like a drawn-out continuation of the first round, or worse, a continuation of the NBA's answer to national TV scheduling in the regular season, which is to cycle through the same 10 teams until you're sick of them.

It used to be (best of) 5-7-7-7, and now it's 7-7-7-7. It seems longer because it is longer than what it was previously, and the switch was made, but it seems pretty pointless.

If you mean here, on the boards, I know that a lot of people here are fans of the NHL in general. If you're not a fan of the NBA in general, or your team's not in it, it just seems like a drawn-out continuation of the first round, or worse, a continuation of the NBA's answer to national TV scheduling in the regular season, which is to cycle through the same 10 teams until you're sick of them.

I think the NBA's seeming desire to have every playoff game on national (or uncontested by other NBA games) television also contributes to the percieved dragging of the first round.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's because basketball is boring. :P

Hi, how are you?

This year has convinced me that they should have everyone seeded 1-16, regardless of conference.

The only way that would be even a little bit fair is if they switched to a more balanced schedule and got rid of conferences all together.

You fight for your division against teams that play the exact same schedule (your division foes, obviously.) Then you compete for a playoff spot against all of the teams that you play at least more than once or twice a year, that have similiar (but no exactly the same) schedules. It makes no sense to contend for playoff spots against teams that don't play any semblanse of your schedule.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

...that's 'cuz nobody asked me.

Cut it down to 5-5-7-7 and let's get try and get it all in before June hits. Hockey's a winter sport, and even in northern Canada June is summertime.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

...that's 'cuz nobody asked me.

Cut it down to 5-5-7-7 and let's get try and get it all in before June hits. Hockey's a winter sport, and even in northern Canada June is summertime.

I prefer a single game series. That way, it all comes down to the best team on the day. Obviously, top ranked side would get a second chance or a bye.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I think the reason why it's perceived that the first round of the NBA playoffs is so long is because, at least since they made it a Best-of-seven, it has taken sometimes 2.5 to 3 weeks to play an entire 7 game series, and because of that, there are some 2nd round series that have already begun before the first round was entirely over. The NHL usually never takes more than 15 days for a series.

I'm thinking the NHL or NBA could try what the QMJHL does: Game 1, Game 2, off, off, Game 3, Game 4, off, Game 5, off, Game 6, off, Game 7. (If it's 2-3-2, they'll add an extra off day after Game 5, but remove the off day between games 6 and 7.) Every series begins on every second Friday and is over in only 12 days.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think the reason why it's perceived that the first round of the NBA playoffs is so long is because, at least since they made it a Best-of-seven, it has taken sometimes 2.5 to 3 weeks to play an entire 7 game series, and because of that, there are some 2nd round series that have already begun before the first round was entirely over. The NHL usually never takes more than 15 days for a series.

I'm thinking the NHL or NBA could try what the QMJHL does: Game 1, Game 2, off, off, Game 3, Game 4, off, Game 5, off, Game 6, off, Game 7. (If it's 2-3-2, they'll add an extra off day after Game 5, but remove the off day between games 6 and 7.) Every series begins on every second Friday and is over in only 12 days.

I agree with your first statement and I think that proposal would definitely work. 12 days(or 11 if you didn't have 2 in a row) is a lot better than what they have now. Even better, if they made the first round 5 games again, they could make that round a max of 7 (1, 2, off, 3, 4, off, 5)

Archived