Astros number font question

Sodboy13

I'm watching the Astros-Padres game on the Extra Innings preview, and it just occurred to me: is the Astros' number font the same as what the Padres used during their brown-and-orange days, from '85-'90? The fuzzy memories flipping through my mind have them looking very similar, if not identical.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

PD84H19_W.jpg51EDSVQQ3HL._AA280_.jpg

Ah, but that's not the one I'm talking about. I'm talking about 1985, with the switch to pinstripes and button-downs, and the elimination of yellow.

EDIT: A not-necessarily-reliable eBay image:

IMG_0491.jpg

69c5_1.JPG

EDIT #2: Just may have answered my own question here - note the serif on the 7.

b0b6_1.JPG

So they may not be identical - but likely from the same family.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Google search didn't return anything immediately - I'll see if I can find something.

EDIT: Found one. And this source is reliable:

38984_01_lg.jpg

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction...uction_ID=38984

You're right, it's close. But not exact. The Astros' numbers are still more vertical (looks squished to my eye). And the 2 has the angled downturn. But the way the vertical post meets the horizontal base is strikingly similar.

41977_01_lg.jpg

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction...uction_ID=41977

I'd say you have a pretty good memory.

I don't think I remember those Padres numbers, but looking at them now I am reminded of the 1990s Giants:

32308_01_lg.jpg

Those are a little wider, but again look related.

I don't think I remember those Padres numbers, but looking at them now I am reminded of the 1990s Giants:

Those are a little wider, but again look related.

That's my biggest beef with the Padres unis of that era - with the exception of the pinstripes, they were way too close to the Giants' look of the time.

nl_1990_sandiego_01.gifnl_1990_sanfrancisco_01.gif

When viewing the two on a standard-def, rounded-tube TV in the 1980s, the differences were notably less distinct. The similar name and number fonts didn't help matters.

Similar, perhaps, but not the same. The Astros 2000 Font, or Astros Train Motif Font (whatever you want to call it), is a new proprietary font that MLB commissioned. It's a part of the trend to make unique fonts that people either have to go to MLB Shop to buy or go through an authorized dealer (who bought an expensive license to make said fonts). Almost all of the new number fonts you've seen in the last decade are proprietary.

HOU, SD, LAA, MIL, WAS, CIN, and ARI are all copywritten.

The standard block (NYM, MIN, FLA) and wide block (NYY, DET, ATL) are in the public domain, so MLB can't make any money off of them. Some of the other recent ones are public domain too, since they were never copywritten (like the Giants and Padres of the 80's & 90's).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Am I crazy or are there two different kinds of number styles on the back of those Astros' jerseys?

You're not crazy - #46 (Raul Chavez?) has black numbers with white and red trim, everybody else has red numbers with white and black trim.

Archived