2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

Interesting idea, but I don't think that's really supportable.

Team colors continue to be driven by merchandising, not television. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing teams like the Marlins ditch their very television-friendly teal in favor of black, or the A's adding cash-register black to their television-inspired green and gold.

I don't think merchandising and television are that separate. Most fans see their teams on TV more often than they do in person. And the way a team looks on TV will do a lot to decide if you, the fan, want to wear their stuff (though, admittedly, not as much as their win-loss record). And there have been lots of fans on this board who will not like new uniforms when they're unveiled but decide they like them better once they see them in person. The coming of HDTV bridges that gap since watching a game in HD is more like looking through a window than watching a traditional TV.

I get it - HDTV is higher resolution. Looks great. But your assertion flies in the face of all the evidence since HDTV was introduced, that is to say that leagues are moving towards more homogenization in team colors, not more variety. Witness the number of teams that have moved towards navy and black (many away from more distinctive and/or brighter colors, the opposite of what you suggest will happen).

I don't know what percentage of homes actually have HDTV by now but I know it's still catching on. It'll be interesting to see what teams take advantage of it in the coming years.

As for what teams like the Marlins and A's have done lately, can we chalk some of that up to just plain stupidity? How else can you explain the Rays dropping some really unique jerseys in favor of the mundane stuff they wear now? They could've easily slid some extra yellow or light blue in there. Then you have what the Buffao Bills and Buffalo Sabres switched to in the last few years. A lot of teams just don't know what they're doing.

Teams are taking advantage of higher resolution - with more piping, smaller details not previously visible on television. Not wilder colors.

Teams do know what they're doing. You and I might not like it, but they're following a trend that spans the major sports leagues.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teams are taking advantage of higher resolution - with more piping, smaller details not previously visible on television. Not wilder colors.

Teams do know what they're doing. You and I might not like it, but they're following a trend that spans the major sports leagues.

Although I brought up the parallel between color television and HDTV, I admit this is a good point as well. Teams introduced colorful uniforms because color tv provided a brand new ability to see a fashion innovation - bold color. HDTV does not provide a brand new ability to see color. However it does provide a new ability to see detail. Therefore, it makes sense for teams to implement finer and more complex detail in their uniforms, rather than just broad expanses of color. I don't see HDTV spawning uniforms like the all maroon Phillies ones, for example. HDTV might well have the opposite effect of making those intolerable, if they weren't before. All that said, I don't believe HDTV will completely negate the use of expansive color in uniforms, which was quite evident when I watched Toronto on Friday.

LT

I didn't say that it will eliminate expansive colors, only that there's no reason to believe it will increase the color palette in sports.

Toronto's Friday look is entirely driven by merchandising, as is the Brewers' retro, as is the overwhelming march away from unique color schemes and towards navy and black. I see no reason why this trend will suddenly reverse itself, HDTV or no HDTV.

Interesting idea, but I don't think that's really supportable.

Team colors continue to be driven by merchandising, not television. Otherwise we wouldn't be seeing teams like the Marlins ditch their very television-friendly teal in favor of black, or the A's adding cash-register black to their television-inspired green and gold.

I don't think merchandising and television are that separate. Most fans see their teams on TV more often than they do in person. And the way a team looks on TV will do a lot to decide if you, the fan, want to wear their stuff (though, admittedly, not as much as their win-loss record). And there have been lots of fans on this board who will not like new uniforms when they're unveiled but decide they like them better once they see them in person. The coming of HDTV bridges that gap since watching a game in HD is more like looking through a window than watching a traditional TV.

I get it - HDTV is higher resolution. Looks great. But your assertion flies in the face of all the evidence since HDTV was introduced, that is to say that leagues are moving towards more homogenization in team colors, not more variety. Witness the number of teams that have moved towards navy and black (many away from more distinctive and/or brighter colors, the opposite of what you suggest will happen).

I don't know what percentage of homes actually have HDTV by now but I know it's still catching on. It'll be interesting to see what teams take advantage of it in the coming years.

As for what teams like the Marlins and A's have done lately, can we chalk some of that up to just plain stupidity? How else can you explain the Rays dropping some really unique jerseys in favor of the mundane stuff they wear now? They could've easily slid some extra yellow or light blue in there. Then you have what the Buffao Bills and Buffalo Sabres switched to in the last few years. A lot of teams just don't know what they're doing.

I get everything you're saying, but remember that I'm also saying what I think *will* happen eventually. I just think it's still too early to say what the total effect of HDTV will be on uniform design. Once HD is the norm, I'd be shocked if there aren't teams that decide to take advantage of it with more distinct color sets beyond the navy and black sets that everyone is using.

I'll say that merchandising will certainly remain the primary driving force (as it always has been, which will continue to result in some really bad decisions) but I think HD will change things and result in teams looking more distinct maybe a decade from now. Just my guess.

Although I brought up the parallel between color television and HDTV, I admit this is a good point as well. Teams introduced colorful uniforms because color tv provided a brand new ability to see a fashion innovation - bold color. HDTV does not provide a brand new ability to see color. However it does provide a new ability to see detail. Therefore, it makes sense for teams to implement finer and more complex detail in their uniforms, rather than just broad expanses of color. I don't see HDTV spawning uniforms like the all maroon Phillies ones, for example. HDTV might well have the opposite effect of making those intolerable, if they weren't before. All that said, I don't believe HDTV will completely negate the use of expansive color in uniforms, which was quite evident when I watched Toronto on Friday.

LT

Well...not for long:

Deep Color

Oakland/Texas game today.

capt.511f4968d0284221b311d0d657688e08.rangers_athletics_baseball_oas102.jpg

capt.230253bb09dc4539bbbc0a9622314811.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas104.jpg

capt.c12d49786ead4f058568710a9038de0f.rangers_athletics_baseball__oas103.jpg

Congrats to every player on both team who wore their pants the right way and showcased those stirrups. And kudos to both teams for going the extra step to have matching batting helmets.

As for the Natio...er, Sena... um, Rangers, I really hope this uniform makes an appearance when they travel to D.C. for a weekend interleague series in June. That'll be some fun times.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

hahaha.

Now it's funny that the A's are too cheap/ignorant/oblivious to make helmets to match their black alts which they wear all season, and yet they have perfect hat/helmet combinations for a one off throwback jersey, including the coaches wearing white hats while the players wear green. The A's will also be wearing another style or two down the road as part of their 40 years in Oakland celebration.

The stickers on the hat is not limited to hip hop fansion :rolleyes:

ccc6be21d35b33ad33ea3a49a53b51ef-getty-80310612jj015_texas_rangers.jpg

Poor guy. Doesn't realize he has to coach the Nationals now.

well.... his name is Ron Washington ^_^

There's a frickin price sticker with bar code on it. Did they really just go out and buy Nationals' hats for them? :therock:

Must have stopped by the local Lids and bought the hats.

There's a frickin price sticker with bar code on it. Did they really just go out and buy Nationals' hats for them? :therock:

I've browsed this board many times before but never really felt I had any information worthy of publishing. I saw the Rangers-A's game on local tv here today, and, yes, the Rangers were wearing Nationals hats. They even had the raised MLB logo on the back with the navy and gold in it. The A's hats were the more traditional throwbacks without the mlb logo on the back of them. I just wanted to add that since none of the pictures here give us a clear shot of the backs of the hats.

Archived