2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

Oh yea, something I noticed from todays Jays/Sox game - ManRam wearing a hat with the New Era logo on the left above the ear. I don't have any pictures of it but I SWEAR it was there. Can anyone back me up on this or provide pictures?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yea, something I noticed from todays Jays/Sox game - ManRam wearing a hat with the New Era logo on the left above the ear. I don't have any pictures of it but I SWEAR it was there. Can anyone back me up on this or provide pictures?

This is the only picture I can find with Manny and a New Era logo:

80be3cf3191cb5bc092b45a65c98702d-getty-80323166ds026_red_sox_jays.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Usually I agree with most of the opinions on this board, but i'm floored that it seems everyone loves the Blue Jays throwbacks. I think they look embarrassingly bad. There's a reason powder blue from head to toe went away - it's because it looks ridiculous. And the logo in the middle of the chest isn't doing it for me either. Frank Thomas in particular looks humiliated to be wearing these pajamas.

Well, back when powder blues were common, players did not wear their unis ALL THE WAY TO THEIR TOES like they do today. I've stated a dozen times on this board that the pants to your shoe tops looks terrible and sloppy. But, clearly it is an age thing whether or not stirrups were common/the norm when you played ball. Plus, unis usually were much more "snug" back in the 70s and 80s, unlike most throwbacks worn today, which is also why they look like they are wearing sloppy pajamas.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I'm willing to guess that what I saw was his hat sitting high on his head and that that logo showed from underneath it. Thanks for finding the pic!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Usually I agree with most of the opinions on this board, but i'm floored that it seems everyone loves the Blue Jays throwbacks. I think they look embarrassingly bad. There's a reason powder blue from head to toe went away - it's because it looks ridiculous. And the logo in the middle of the chest isn't doing it for me either. Frank Thomas in particular looks humiliated to be wearing these pajamas.

Well, back when powder blues were common, players did not wear their unis ALL THE WAY TO THEIR TOES like they do today. I've stated a dozen times on this board that the pants to your shoe tops looks terrible and sloppy. But, clearly it is an age thing whether or not stirrups were common/the norm when you played ball. Plus, unis usually were much more "snug" back in the 70s and 80s, unlike most throwbacks worn today, which is also why they look like they are wearing sloppy pajamas.

You're both kind of right. The Big Hurt looked ridiculous in those, but it looked good back when they were prominent. These current ones also seemed kind of dark, that could have something to do with it. Also, alone, the white panel caps are sweet, but they just don't go with these uniforms. I don't mind them circa their b2b World Championships with the white uniforms, but something just isn't right here...

That being said, anything that keeps them out of the garbage they call their current set is a good thing...

I think the reason so many people are fans of th new Blue Jays alt is because it's nice to see them in blue -- any blue -- again. You can add me to that list. But I also like the fact that I never thought there would be powder blue pants, pullover jerseys, and white front panel caps back in MLB as an official alt, yet here it is.

On a side note, if the Astros really are done with the gray jerseys, then shouldn't they dump the gray pants, too? Either add sand or just use white like the '80s Cubs (and Astros, too, I think)? Seems pointless to have a color in your scheme only used for pants. If the brick's not an alt, then the road uni identity should be built around it so it doesn't look like one.

And whenever you express this opinion, I try to make sure to disagree with you. The long pants look is not "terrible and sloppy" IMO. Evolution happens. Golfers aren't wearing knickers anymore, and neither are most baseball players.

I'm willing to guess that what I saw was his hat sitting high on his head and that that logo showed from underneath it. Thanks for finding the pic!

It is...just saw him make a nice catch on TBS...and I can confirm that...

No pics, but the Phillies have removed the nameplates from their road jerseys and have returned to direct-sewn lettering.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Cubs are wearing blue for the first time, and it is with Zambrano starting. And I agree that the Astros should not wear gray pants on the road. If they are not going to wear gray jerseys at all this year, they should just wear white pants or possibly sand.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wait, wait, wait... that fantastic Blue Jay alt is a HOME uni!???! That's crazy. For me, that bit of info just took it from "Love it" to "Dumb". Light Blue uniforms are ROAD uniforms. Period. What, can the Reds use their "big Red Machine" pull-over Gray set as a home alt now? No? How is it any different? I know this puts me in the minority, but I believe all Home uniforms should be WHITE... pants AND jersey. Road uniforms should be gray, mostly, but for variety some teams can be light blue, biege, charcole, whatever, but again it should be jersey AND PANTS. The pants and jersey should always match... that's what makes it a Baseball uniform. I hate all the dark jersey, softball crap. Thats why they invented batting practice jerseys... why wear them in the game?

And yes, I also think the players look like morons running around with their pants hanging over the tops of their shoes.

Yes, the Cubs brought back the same blue alts as they've always had. Thought they might mix it up a bit (or hoping).

Still hated seeing them at home (in person no less) -- if anything, they could save them for the less traditional night games. But I'd prefer road only. Maybe they will use them as Sunday alts.

As for the Twins, that's a nice one-day uni quirk. I'd be tempted to customize one like the April 1 vesion if I was a Twins fan. Did they get a new equipment manager / uniform supplier?

Perhaps in Minnesota, April Fool's jokes are much subtler.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for the Twins, that's a nice one-day uni quirk. I'd be tempted to customize one like the April 1 vesion if I was a Twins fan. Did they get a new equipment manager / uniform supplier?

More likely they realized that the red numbers weren't legible and had new ones made....

The long pants look is not "terrible and sloppy" IMO. Evolution happens. Golfers aren't wearing knickers anymore, and neither are most baseball players.

Most golfers aren't wearing pants long enough to cover their shoes and glomming up their caps with pine tar, either.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

But on the "Minnesota" version of the navy alt, the colors are reversed, right? So they still use the red numbers, illegible as they may be.I guess that's why I wondered about a mistake, since the red numbers were probably lying around, too.

We'll see.

These both look like home jerseys, which is what's odd:

April 1, 2008

mw8l6c.png

April 6, 2008

5klezn.jpg

Archived