The World's Most Ridiculous Sports Team Names

roxfan00

post cont.

Unfortunate connotations:

Phoenix Coyotes (NHL); in that part of the country, a "coyote" is slang for a smuggler of illegal immigrants

and coyote is also a wolf like animal thats indigenious to the area.

Teams named for endangered/extinct species:

Bakersfield Condors (formerly the Fog; see above)

Florida Panthers (NHL)

Toronto Raptors (NBA)

eh, what can you do. they are what they are.

Miscellaneous:

Cuba City Cubans (WI high school); I've been to Cuba City, and it doesn't exactly remind me of Havana. And what's their mascot, a guy in a Fidel Castro costume?

Sheffield Wednesday (English soccer); strange name for a team in a sport where most games are played on weekends

Tulsa Golden Hurricane (college); since when do they have hurricanes in freaking Oklahoma?!?

and since when are they golden, i personally have never seen a golden hurricane. unless its named after a boxer? you think they would use Golden Tornado since they have far more tornadoes than hurricanes.

oh and my personal favorites:

buttepirates.jpg

this one is just asking for a beavis and butt-head joke.

scrotie.jpg

completely inexcusable, yet amusing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am glad that the Green Bay Packers made that list. That whole franchise/fan base is dumb all together ;)[/quote

And this from a guy whose team doesn't even know what city it's playing in. At least the Packers name is (a) historic, as it was a meat packing company that originally sponsored the team and (B) original. The Angels took their name from the old minor league team.

As for ridiculous names, Shoals (Ind.) is the Shoals Jug Rox. (There are several rocks in the river there, and one of them is shaped like a rock).

Or, the Vincennes (Ind.) Lincoln High School Alices.

Or (going back to Wisconsin) the Oconomowoc Cooneys.

ETA: The Packers aren't on the original list, you FIB ... and what's a guy from Chicago doing with an Angels logo anyway? Oh yeah, Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks...you poor thing. (I don't include the White Sox because I've never known anybody who admitted to being a White Sox fan that didn't have a prison record)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I am glad that the Green Bay Packers made that list. That whole franchise/fan base is dumb all together ;)

And this from a guy whose team doesn't even know what city it's playing in. At least the Packers name is (a) historic, as it was a meat packing company that originally sponsored the team and (B) original. The Angels took their name from the old minor league team.

As for ridiculous names, Shoals (Ind.) is the Shoals Jug Rox. (There are several rocks in the river there, and one of them is shaped like a rock).

Or, the Vincennes (Ind.) Lincoln High School Alices.

Or (going back to Wisconsin) the Oconomowoc Cooneys.

I kid, I kid. Sorry that it was too easy.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

A HS in central Texas, the Hutto Hippos:

hippohuge.JPG

Man, that hippo is cool!! It looks like it came from an amusement park or something.. you could put your kids on it and take their picture...

It is what it is.

A couple were missed:

Annville-Cleona (Pa.) Little Dutchmen/Little Dutchgirls

McDaniel Green Terror (a college in Maryland)

Cincinnati Kids (MISL)

There are actually good/reasonable explanations for all of these:

Annville-Cleona is home to Lebanon Valley College, whose teams are the Flying Dutchmen.

McDaniel was formerly known as Western Maryland College. It was named for the Western Maryland Railroad, which was a major benefactor of the college. The Green Terror was a famous locomotive operated by the railroad.

The Cincinnati Kids were named for a 1965 Steve McQueen movie called "The Cincinnati Kid." From Wikipedia --

The Cincinnati Kid is a 1965 film. It tells the story of Eric "The Kid" Stoner, a young Depression-era poker player, as he seeks to establish his reputation as the best. This quest leads him to challenge Lancey "The Man" Howard, an older player widely considered to be the best, culminating in a climactic final poker hand between the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cincinnati_Kid

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Coincidentally, my daughters' alma mater in Texas is also a contender in this category:

lewisville-header.jpg

:D

silly name yes, i seriously doubt there is a farmer left in lewisville. i would have to think the farmers in texas would be residing in surrounding counties west of tarrant. however they've had some damn good teams. i think they won state back in 99 or so. There was a lewisville team that went undefeated and won state. It was the same year the Grapevine Mustangs won state in the very same fashion.

They won state in '93 and '96. In '93 we were in attendance at the Astrodome to see one of the greatest games I've ever seen at any level. Lewisville scored with 21 seconds left to defeat Aldine MacArthur 43-37.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Coincidentally, my daughters' alma mater in Texas is also a contender in this category:

lewisville-header.jpg

:D

silly name yes, i seriously doubt there is a farmer left in lewisville. i would have to think the farmers in texas would be residing in surrounding counties west of tarrant. however they've had some damn good teams. i think they won state back in 99 or so. There was a lewisville team that went undefeated and won state. It was the same year the Grapevine Mustangs won state in the very same fashion.

They won state in '93 and '96. In '93 we were in attendance at the Astrodome to see one of the greatest games I've ever seen at any level. Lewisville scored with 21 seconds left to defeat Aldine MacArthur 43-37.

Odell James was the sophomore qb for that MacArthur team. They were a shoestring away from returning the ensuing kick back for a td after Lewisville took the lead.

Alma College used to be called the Fighting Presbyterians. Now they are the (Fightin'?) Scots.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Origin of 'Boilermakers' Nickname

The moniker 'Boilermakers' goes back to 1891 when the Purdue football team defeated nearby rival Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana 44-0. An account of the game in the Crawfordsville Daily Argus News of October 26, 1891 was headlined, "Slaughter of Innocents: Wabash Snowed Completely Under by the Burly Boiler Makers from Purdue." Engineering education in the 1890s at Purdue meant hands-on work in the forge room, where students heated and molded metal, just like the "blacksmiths" and "boilermakers" the football team was called after defeating opponents. The local Purdue press picked up on the name, with a notice in the November 1, 1891 Lafayette Sunday Times, "As everyone knows, Purdue went down to Wabash last Saturday and defeated their eleven. The Crawfordsville papers have not yet gotten over it. The only recourse they have is to claim that we beat their 'scientific' men by brute force. Our players are characterized as 'coal heavers,' 'boiler makers' and 'stevedores.'"

Over the years Purdue's football team were called 'grangers', 'pumpkin-shuckers', 'railsplitters', 'cornfield sailors', 'blacksmiths' and 'foundry hands', but ultimately it was 'Boilermakers' that finally stuck.

Sigs are for sissies.

Sheffield Wednesday began its life as a cricket club that played its matches on Wednesdays. After the club had been established as Sheffield Wednesday for a while did they start a football club.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

post cont.
Tulsa Golden Hurricane (college); since when do they have hurricanes in freaking Oklahoma?!?

and since when are they golden, i personally have never seen a golden hurricane. unless its named after a boxer? you think they would use Golden Tornado since they have far more tornadoes than hurricanes.

I have read that the term "Golden Hurricane" is used to describe a fierce dust storm. Tulsa being in Oklahoma is in the middle of the Dust Belt, and is prone to such windstorms.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The two that came to my mind immediately when reading the topic title were the Dickinson (North Dakota) Midgets and the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I remeber having a copy of HOCKEY,INC. (minor leagues) that had a front page picture of then President Bill Clinton holding up a MACON WHOOPEE jersey during their first season...wish I woulda saved it. :lol:

Sheffield Wednesday began its life as a cricket club that played its matches on Wednesdays. After the club had been established as Sheffield Wednesday for a while did they start a football club.

Yeah, plus it's not a nickname, but part of the club's name. Their nickname is the Owls.

Archived