gpbellamy

cool US Soccer franchise logo map

Now you can see how all alone we are here in Minnesota, when you consider that our nearest competition is Rochester.

I did a map a while back, showing the USL1, USL2, and PDL teams. I haven't updated it for this year, though I did drop California once they folded up.

Harrisburg City Islanders? With a 'sunny' soccer ball and palm tree?

Shades of the "Flint Tropics" from Semi-Pro........

Actually, that's Harrisburg "City Islanders," I believe.

Now you can see how all alone we are here in Minnesota, when you consider that our nearest competition is Rochester.

Had Winnipeg's individual soccer clubs gotten off of their collective asses and agreed to field the best team possible rather than demanding certain spots for individual players, they'd have had a USL-1 club years ago.

Stupid Sons of Italy and Lucitania...

2 nitpicks:

1 - RBNY's old logo is used

2 - Can he make up his damn mind of where to place the logo in relation to the city points? Having such inconsistencies is a cartographic no-no.

Actually, that's Harrisburg "City Islanders," I believe.

Indeed it is. However, I have played soccer on City Island and I can assure you that it is not the least bit balmy or tropical (especially the not the day I played there, with 30-40 mph autumn winds blowing down the Susquehanna).

2 nitpicks:

1 - RBNY's old logo is used

2 - Can he make up his damn mind of where to place the logo in relation to the city points? Having such inconsistencies is a cartographic no-no.

"Pittsburg"....no...it's "Pittsburgh"

Man, no kidding. I had no idea we were that isolated until seeing the map. Where the heck is Milwaukee when you need them?

Man, no kidding. I had no idea we were that isolated until seeing the map. Where the heck is Milwaukee when you need them?

It's pretty empty in the southwest, too. I'm glad I left Albuquerque for Portland, where I can be a soccer fan that has a local team to support.

standup-t-shirt.png

It's pretty empty in the southwest, too. I'm glad I left Albuquerque for Portland, where I can be a soccer fan that has a local team to support.

You realize, of course, I'm going to now have to call you a traitor. That or a dirty stinky hippie. Or both. :D

WOW There is alot of big cities without teams: Detroit, Philadelphia, Pheonix, Tampa, Orlando, St. Louis, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Nashville/Memphis, San Antonio, OKC and lots more. Thats crazy!! Even the NHL covers more cities then that...and add the AHL and it covers most of the cities that there is soccer(football) teams in and not in.

They're playing indoors, where they've always played. The outdoor teams are amateurs and semi-pros, although the city's got a long such tradition.

I've long thought that it would be a great outdoor soccer market, if they could only build a halfway decent stadium....

You say spread out... I say east coast loving.

Well, take into account the history of when each league was founded. Back when MLB, NFL and NHL (and to lesser extent, NBA) were founded, west coast travel was either far too expensive or far too time consuming to be worthwhile. Also aside from a scant few cities, in the early 20th century there weren't many cities west of the Mississippi River capable of maintaining a pro sports franchise. Now in the 21st century, that's not the case.

Is it too much to ask for an a-league (football) or nbl (basketball) maps - both from down under :>