Titletown, USA

DDR

I hate the over dramatic coverage of everything by ESPN and I hate their pop culture BS and I most certainly hate their obsession with the NBA. That having been said I still would prefer to watch Sportscenter over FSN's Final Score because its more shall we say........entertaining, imagine that. I guess I would call it the epitome of a love/hate relationship.

Unfortunately ESPN is 90% of the reason I hate anything remotely related to Boston sports. I used to be a closet Red Sox fan out of pure hatred for the Yankees but they are just about as bad now and really by no fault of their own, I just got sick of hearing about them.

Despite my strong disdain for Boston sports teams, Barstool Sports is a must read on a daily basis for me. These guys are absolutely hilarious as I'm sure those of you in Beantown are well aware.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

That Barstool Sports link reminded me. Did anybody catch Bill Simmons' April Fools Day mailbag? He started off as if he were going to compare the '86 and the '08 Celtics teams, then sprung the "April Fool's!" on the reader. I thought it was a funny jab at himself--you know, "another Boston article?" Turns out it was an April Fool's on Boston fans because he "jinxed" the Patriots with an earlier column. For a brief moment, it was like Skynet becoming self-aware.

All of this talk of ESPN reminds me of a book recommendation - if you haven't read "God Save The Fan" by Will Leitch of Deadspin, check it out.

For me, ESPN stopped being relevant quite a while ago. SportsCenter made the shift from informative and entertaining to grating and annoying many years back, and any alleged sports network which tries to tell me through its level of coverage that poker and car auctions are sports, but hockey isn't, doesn't hold up well in my eyes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Speaking of Deadspin... This article is mostly about Rick Reilly but, for me at least, it nails the reasons I hate ESPN. Read it here.

I can certainly identify with some of the things in that article. Joe Average doesn't want to hear a sports reporter complain that there is nothing to do in Jacksonville while they are on their all expenses paid trip to the Super Bowl.

On the subject of ESPN and the Yanks and the Sawx....

Can animal control kill/remove that stupid hawk at Fenway already? This should soooo be a nonstory, but yet it isn't to ESPN. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived