The OFFICIAL 2008 NFL Draft Thread

tBBP

I can't believe the Seahawks drafted a defensive player. They lost Hackett, they have no T.E. and they draft a frickign DE, one of their stongest positions.

They lost Wimms and Darby. Their line was always a problem. Haskell said he was looking at defense.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe the Seahawks drafted a defensive player. They lost Hackett, they have no T.E. and they draft a frickign DE, one of their stongest positions.

They lost Wimms and Darby. Their line was always a problem. Haskell said he was looking at defense.

But their solid on the outside with Tapp and Kirney, unless they're gonna move Jackson to the inside, I dont like this pick.

It's one of those picks that kinda surprise you because it's not a major need for Seattle, but insurance helps you know.

As for Tight Ends, Seattle did get one at #38 with John Carlson of Notre Dame. Not exactly one of the better TE's avalible, but who knows? It's usually those in the later rounds that make noise.

I cant believe that Dan Connor is still available after Round #2, if he slips to #72 i would love if the Bills pick him even if LB is not a position of need. I doubt he gets there though.

James Hardy is a great pick up for the Bills at #41. He was my 2nd preferred reciever and we got him in the second round. Great pickup as a complement to Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.

saBS.png

Just looked over the first round. Joe Flacco at #18? That's a bit of a surprise. I figured Brohm would go before Flacco. Anyway, I haven't been watching much. Does anyone know how Mel Kiper Draft Moron has done in his predictions vs. what actually happened? I love how he and McShay hate each others guts. I'm a McShay fan solely because he likes :censored:-ing with Kiper.

BB52Big.jpg

Dexter Jackson to Tampa Bay in the second round. I'm surpised that he went this high. I was expecting 3rd-4th round, but I guess running a 4.27 will do that to a guy's stock.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Am I less a fan than I used to be? Or was this year's draft not nearly as intriguing as in years past? It seemed pretty low on star power, but I also don't know much about the college game anymore.

Happy to see the Bills make the same smart choices they usually do. I would have preferred some line help, but a new CB and WR make a lot of sense too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Good thing the Bengals didn't get a thug this year, yet.

Hopefully they can get Mario Manningham in the second round and Steve Slaton in the third.

Does any one think Manningham could slide to the third and Slaton could drop back into the compensentory picks?

Anyone watching this on NFL Network?

Their expert blows Kiper and McShay out of the water. And the NFLN crew doesn't argue all the time, which makes it more enjoyable for me.

Manningham has multiple red flags....unless you want to have another potential criminal on your roster. (Lie about drug use, intermittent as a player last year, reportedly scored a 6 on the wunderlic).

Needless to say, if he's still available, he's going to be the Rams' pick in the 3rd Round as Ike's "replacement."

Or not. Can somebody please tell me who the :censored: Donnie Avery is and if he is any good?

Apparently he's a speed guy. Who the Rams could have had in the 3rd or 4th Round.

*bangs head on desk, wondering why this team let Curtis go last year.*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I really like this guy Mayo. I am now a part Falcons fan.

Here is some honest analysis of today's activity:

STEALS

32: Philip Merling, Miami (Tennessee): Guy projected as a mid 1st rounder slips down here, probably cause of a sports hernia which the consensus is that it should be ignored. This guy has great talent and Parcells steals him at 32.

16: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Arizona (Tenn. St.): Great athlete who came on strong late, the biggest knock on him is the opponents he has faced in D I-AA, but he should fill out and the Cardinals were rewarded for staying put and got a potentially great CB.

4: Glenn Dorsey, KC (LSU): Did you think he would fall to them?

Aw hell, I'll go with the entire Chiefs draft. Nice job by Herm. They won today.

Eagles: DeSean Jackson at 49: Low risk, high reward.

WHAT THE HELL?

Jacksonville Jags mostving up 18 spots at a high price to take Derrick Harvey. Nice player, sure, but could they have waited? Sure. There may not have been any other lower spots available to trade for, but if that were the case, I would just stay put.

The Ravens go ahead and trade their new 26th pick to the Texans, moving up 8 spots, to draft Joe Flacco. Okay, he is arguably the 2nd best QB in the draft, but there is a good chance he would have been there at 26 and the difference between him and the next-best QB is not worth this trade. Also, he was only an arguable 1st rounder. I suppose the Ravens are this confident he will be the face of the franchise.

Nobody wins. The Texans use their newly acquired 26th pick on Duand Brown out of Va Tech. Most people believe he is at best a 2nd rounder, and I agree he is not a natural at his position and is largely unproven. High risk, not huge reward here. They would have been better off, if they really wanted an OT, not trading down and teking Jeff Otah.

Carolina Panthers, 13th pick, RB Jonathan Stewart: Seriously Carolina? You need an RB more than anything else? You need Jonathan Stewart more than anyone else? How bout a D-Line, an O-Line, a respectable, durable QB, or even Felix Jones?

Giants: Kenny Phillips over at least Tyrell Johnson.

Seahawks: Lawrence Jackson

Niners: Kentwan Balmer

Rams: Donnie Avery at 33

SLEEPER PICK

Packers WR Jordy Nelson (#36, Ka State) is an absolute beast. Stock rose greatly right before the draft. Made All-state in like 3 sports in High School, is an amazing All-Around athlete and will be a weapon anywhere he plays, especially special teams. Is a tall receiver, great hands, mad fast, plays O and D and ST. will be a nice complement/tandem with current ATH (former BC star!) Will Blackmon. Watch out for this guy.

Phew. Being the next wannabe Hairlord Kiper is tough.

edit: code looks kinda stupid.

But their solid on the outside with Tapp and Kirney, unless they're gonna move Jackson to the inside, I dont like this pick.

Tapp's questionable. I love the guy, but he's injury prone. It's not the best pick, but it's not a surprise either.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Interesting that maybe Jake Long's days of protecting Chad Henne aren't over. Depending on if Henne starts anytime soon. I am not so sure about the Lions draft so far. I was hoping Mayo would fall to them. I don't know a whole lot about either Cherilus or Dizon, but I think the Lions could've done much better.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Am I less a fan than I used to be? Or was this year's draft not nearly as intriguing as in years past? It seemed pretty low on star power, but I also don't know much about the college game anymore.

I'm no expert, but everything I've read seems to agree that this year's class was lackluster. No franchise QBs.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I'm no expert, but everything I've read seems to agree that this year's class was lackluster. No franchise QBs.

I think most people projected Ryan as a franchise QB, noone else though. They were also saying that there would probably be no franchise QB's available next year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think most people projected Ryan as a franchise QB, noone else though. They were also saying that there would probably be no franchise QB's available next year.

Just remember, these are the same people saying David Carr, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf would be franchise quarterbacks. Remember that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just remember, these are the same people saying David Carr, Tim Couch, and Ryan Leaf would be franchise quarterbacks. Remember that.

Agreed.

Realistically, there are no franchise QBs this year. Ryan's only considerd one as a side effect of the ESPN hype machine nearly going into spontaneous joygasms over Boston College's early season success failure to lose.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You all just wait and see, hopefully Matty Ice will (and I have confidence from actually watching him for 3 1/2 years) come back and make your asses look stupid. :D

What, no opinions on my write-up?

Well, I guess I hope he sucks ass now. Thanks, Gingy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If I had to guess, Ryan will be wearing #2 in Atlanta. I don't see Jenkins giving up that #12, since he has worn that since his Ohio State days.

And, I have found some evidence that may back up that theory. It turns out Ryan wore #2 in high school.

62057.jpg

I have to agree with DG, this draft is kinda boring. I don't even know half of the guys being picked in the first round. About 2 or 3 years ago, I knew almost 90% of the guys being picked on day 1.

Dan Connor seems to be the "Number 1 pick" on Sunday. I think the Dolphins will surely take him, after cutting Zach Thomas. I was hoping he'd slip to 77 and Cincinnati takes him. I still hope they take Steve Slaton today.

Dexter Jackson was a Super Bowl MVP for Tampa Bay six years ago, and now they drafted Dexter Jackson this year. If it wasn't for that Michigan game, I don't think he's drafted until the fifth round.

Agreed.

Realistically, there are no franchise QBs this year. Ryan's only considerd one as a side effect of the ESPN hype machine nearly going into spontaneous joygasms over Boston College's early season success failure to lose.

I was just going by what the "experts" were saying regarding franchise QBs. As I said on the first page, I don't think that Matt Ryan is as good as they are saying.

One of the negatives about the shorter draft now is that the ESPN guys aren't announcing the pick until 4 or 5 picks after have been made. And it's only the 3rd Round now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived