Arena Rafters & Banners

The only thing wrong with Pittsburgh is their arena sucks, U think the banners look fine and when their new arena opens it will be awesome.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Kind of intresting, comparing the two designs:

Old

banners.jpg

New

NewBanners.jpg

They both had their advantages. The new ones are fresh, and clean, and uniform, and its easy to see whats on them. Im glad they got rid of the redundant second division champs banner from '90-91, and used a better term for the 92-93 banner ("president's trophy" as opposed to "nhl champions") I like them.

The old ones, though, had a certain feel to them. They were a part of the Igloo. You took it for granted that youd look up and see those same old banners up there. They were part of the Mellon Arena experience.

Thats about the worst of it. Other than that, the new banners have grown on me very quickly, and I really like them. They will look great in the new building.

oBIgzrL.png

100_4212.jpg

I like Lemieux's old banner more.

2006-01-24-lemiuex-66-ins.jpg

The black and gold is more modern but is way less representative of the majority of his career. He only wore the black and gold for 2 years after his return. His best years including his Stanley Cup runs were done in the old colors. The old banner was also more consistent with Michel Briere's #21. The new one looks nice but it's somewhat cheap. They could of just added an extra set of years below 1984-1997.

aesthetically, the new pens banners are an upgrade... but i think they rid themselves of a very unique banner style, and replaced it with something boring, while cleaner and more modern...

Agreed. The tri-banner thing was great, but I can see how it would cause a problem considering now it is possible to win the cup without winning your division, so it would look really weird if they won the cup but only earned two banners.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Indiana:

IU.jpg

:lol: I think that last one is photoshopped. In 2005 Mike Davis kept bringing up that they were the 4th seed in why IU deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament, despite getting beat in the first round of the BTT by 14 against fellow bubbler Minnesota.

Haha. Wow, obviously I didn't realize it was a photoshopped pic when I posted it. I definitely remember Davis' ridiculous comments about being the 4th seed. Good times.

The Colorado Rockies celebrate their 2007 NL Championship in typical understatement-to-the-point-of-tears fashion:

Rockies2008015_2-1.jpg

The pennant is right under the big neon "Rockies" logo above the scoreboard. Here it is in context:

Rockies2008016.jpg

And, finally, the dugout cover:

Rockies2008014-1.jpg

By the way, long-time lurker first-time poster. The next time I am in Pepsi Center, I am going to try and get better photos of all the banners in there for everyone.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Don't the Rockies have a division championship banner or two? Where are those?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Colorado Rockies celebrate their 2007 NL Championship in typical understatement-to-the-point-of-tears fashion:

Rockies2008015_2-1.jpg

That is a shame because that is such a nice looking scoreboard, only to have a stupid pennant with a totally lame font on it.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

They did at one point have the 96 wild card winner banner on the outfield wall but have since removed it....

the last time I remember it there was in 2003

How many other teams have (or have had) a wild card "champion" banner?

They did at one point have the 96 wild card winner banner on the outfield wall but have since removed it....

I believe the red sox did in 03 but quickly took that down. And I seem to remember the Orioles had one for the 96 wild card team...

I believe the red sox did in 03 but quickly took that down. And I seem to remember the Orioles had one for the 96 wild card team...

the mets put up pennants for wild card and nlds victories.... the jays have a pennant for hosting the all-star game

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i've never seen any type of banner at a panthers game,for either the NFC West division,NFC south Division of Conference championships,but they do have a ring of honor with Mike McCormack,Sam Mills and PSL Owners in it

i know the Bobcats don't have any,although i think they should retire Bobby Phils jersey,which is currently hung in New Orleans along with pistol pete

yoo3.png

The Astros did (do?) for 2005. The Cubs have a flag for 1998.

It seems like the obvious thing for the Rockies to do would have been to add a flag pole on the scoreboard and fly their pennant on that.

The Pens should have waited two years and replace the banners when the new arena opens up.

Agreed. Like I said before, the new ones will look great in the new arena, but look out of place in the Mellon Arena. The old ones were almost as much a part of the Igloo as the orange seats.

oBIgzrL.png