Arena Rafters & Banners

I think Bourque's number was retired because he was the "driving force"/"motivating factor" of the 2001 Stanley Cup.

Maybe Roy, Sakic, Bourque and probably Forsberg's banner looks like the old jerseys because they spent the cast majority of their careers in that style?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I realize it's been almost a year since anyone posted in this thread, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread just for this picture. Here's the Penguin's new Stanley Cup banner:

5e088798.jpg

This raises a question on the arrangement of the banners. Do they put this one, and an eastern conference one, next to the other two cup year banners? The others have a division champ one with them so thatd make this one look a little out of place. Or do they put it next to last year's banners?

Or, my preferred choice: Nix the conference and division banners from the first two cup years since those championships should be understood being that they were necessary in advancing through the playoffs, not raise a new conference one for that reason, and put this one with them, and leave the other division/president's/conference ones alone in their own section.

oBIgzrL.png

i've never seen any type of banner at a panthers game,for either the NFC West division,NFC south Division of Conference championships,but they do have a ring of honor with Mike McCormack,Sam Mills and PSL Owners in it

i know the Bobcats don't have any,although i think they should retire Bobby Phils jersey,which is currently hung in New Orleans along with pistol pete

Bobcats won't retire Bobby Phils' jersey! A: Because he was killed drag racing Baron Davis down Tyvola. B: He was not a Bobcat.

I would raise banners in the NHL for division, conference, stanley cup and presidents trophy. The more the better.

-Dan

I agree. I'd do this in all sports.

If you don't, you're essentially saying that the division and conference / league championships aren't that significant. So if you win the World Series for example, and then the next year get bounced in the NLDS, is it seems kind of dumb to raise a flag that wasn't good enough to be raised the previous year.

The way the Phillies do it, they raise the division flag right away (it's white). Then, when they won the NLCS, they took the white down and replaced it with a blue one. Then, they replaced the blue with a red one. Of course, they still had a flag-raising ceremony before opening day, even though the flag was already up (I guess they took it down so it could be raised again.) They should just have all of the damn flags up there all the time.

What is especially flawed about this system is that the assumption is that if you have a Conference / League flag, then you also won the division. This is not always the case though, with wild cards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll post pictures next Saturday now that this is back being active, but the Carrier Dome is literally a mish-mash of stuff. They've got banners for the basketball and lacrosse championships, but then they also have all the bowl games and NCAA tournament appearances and championships (well, at least until 2005-ish, the last lacrosse title they list is 2004 and they have yet to put up the 2009 Sweet 16 run or anything of the like), and if that weren't enough they have large signs for the lacrosse team (not updated for the 2009 championship), the 2003 basketball championship the 1959 National Championship team in football, Roy Simmons Jr, Jim Brown, Basketball HOF members, College Football HOF members (including a new one just for Coach Mac considering he was just inducted), and even one for a Naismith Cup back in the 1920's. Then if that wasn't enough, they then include honored basketball numbers, then retired football numbers, and then a retired "44" football number that's larger than the rest of them. It is really a large variety of things that really have no rhyme or reason to it in terms of matching things

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Why don't NFL teams celebrate championships as much as the other sports? Don't see too man pennants / flags / trohpy cases / etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why don't NFL teams celebrate championships as much as the other sports? Don't see too man pennants / flags / trohpy cases / etc.

Maybe because many stadiums aren't designed for the hanging of banners or flying of flags?

Gillette Stadium's the only outdoor one I can think of where they actually hang banners.

6fQjS3M.png

Maybe because many stadiums aren't designed for the hanging of banners or flying of flags?

Gillette Stadium's the only outdoor one I can think of where they actually hang banners.

Qwest Field also has banners hanging in it. A little easier there considering the roof line comes over most of the stands.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/14951760.jpg

The Capitals have updated all of their banners, the Eastern Conference Champions (when they had the sky blue/bronze/black color scheme), Division Champions, and Retired Player Number banners to a Red/White/Blue color scheme:

Old: 2191017690_037b41b332.jpg?v=0

New: (Will upload photos later)

Old: 3241935051_3efd6572aa.jpg?v=0

New: get-attachment.aspx.jpg

The Capitals have updated all of their banners, the Eastern Conference Champions (when they had the sky blue/bronze/black color scheme), Division Champions, and Retired Player Number banners to a Red/White/Blue color scheme:

How long have the caps had pictures of players on their retired numbers? Thats such an awesome idea and looks great.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

New: (Will upload photos later)

Old: 3241935051_3efd6572aa.jpg?v=0

New: get-attachment.aspx.jpg

I hate when teams do this. The Canucks did the same thing a few years back. I don't mind if they re-do banners so that they're congruent and reflect what the team wore when they won.

Ie, the sabres redid thier 1998 Northeast Division and 1999 Eastern Conference banners in 2007 so that they'd match the other ones, but they redid them in black and red with the goathead even though the team had switched to the slug at that point.

There's a pic somewhere...

New York Islanders-Nassau Coliseum

3351372581_46c92c724e.jpg?v=0

Are the blue and the orange banners in the back Division and Conference championships?

The blue, white and orange banners are for the Conference, Divison and Presidents Trophy championships. The Stanley Cup and retired number banners are at the other end of the arena.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships