Arena Rafters & Banners

From my experiance watching "How to lose a guy in 10 days" it seems the theatre and sports parts are side by side, with a tunnell connecting them.

Check out the footage of Mcconnahey and Kate Hudson leaving a celine dion concert in the movie, the knicks fans are piling out with them.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Question about MSG:

I was there for the first time yesterday, but I was in the Theater part of it. I was really just in for the show and then out, so I didn't really get to see much of the arena.

Is the Theater above the sports arena part of it? It seemed like it was, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was literally like a second floor, or if it was something that was just on the side.

I worked at MSG for 4 years...

The Theater is within the arena. The basketball court/ hockey ice is on the fifth floor, and then the seats expand up from that all the way to the top floor which is the sky boxes.

The Theater is beneath all that, I believe the stage level is on the first floor and the top row of seats is on the 2nd floor.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

From my experiance watching "How to lose a guy in 10 days" it seems the theatre and sports parts are side by side, with a tunnell connecting them.

Check out the footage of Mcconnahey and Kate Hudson leaving a celine dion concert in the movie, the knicks fans are piling out with them.

The Arena and Theater share an exit, but are not side by side.... the arena is above the theater.

And being an american venue, its spelled Theater, not Theatre.

Question about MSG:

I was there for the first time yesterday, but I was in the Theater part of it. I was really just in for the show and then out, so I didn't really get to see much of the arena.

Is the Theater above the sports arena part of it? It seemed like it was, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was literally like a second floor, or if it was something that was just on the side.

The Theater is within the arena. The basketball court/ hockey ice is on the fifth floor, and then the seats expand up from that all the way to the top floor which is the sky boxes.

The Theater is beneath all that, I believe the stage level is on the first floor and the top row of seats is on the 2nd floor.

When you say "floor", you mean seating tier, right? Not like the arena is on it's own floor, like it's an office building and it has stuff above and below it, right?

So from what it sounds like, the theater seems to be nestled in behind the first and second levels of seats, where you would normally expect something like a locker room to be?

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice
theater ***********************************

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would raise banners in the NHL for division, conference, stanley cup and presidents trophy. The more the better.

-Dan

I agree. I'd do this in all sports.

If you don't, you're essentially saying that the division and conference / league championships aren't that significant. So if you win the World Series for example, and then the next year get bounced in the NLDS, is it seems kind of dumb to raise a flag that wasn't good enough to be raised the previous year.

The way the Phillies do it, they raise the division flag right away (it's white). Then, when they won the NLCS, they took the white down and replaced it with a blue one. Then, they replaced the blue with a red one. Of course, they still had a flag-raising ceremony before opening day, even though the flag was already up (I guess they took it down so it could be raised again.) They should just have all of the damn flags up there all the time.

What is especially flawed about this system is that the assumption is that if you have a Conference / League flag, then you also won the division. This is not always the case though, with wild cards.

I agree to a point. If some teams did this, they wouldn't have room for all of the banners or the stadium rafters would look cluttered. For example, the Lakers would have a ridiculous amount of banners if they raised them for Division and Conference Championships. We have 30 Division Championships, and 30 Conference Championships. That would add 60 additional banners to Staples. I think that the Lakers might have realized this, or that they pretty much don't think Divisional and Conference Championships are worth the banners. :P

On a side note, does anyone know if the Cowboys have put their Super Bowl banners in Jerry World yet? I haven't seen any pictures

Question about MSG:

When you say "floor", you mean seating tier, right? Not like the arena is on it's own floor, like it's an office building and it has stuff above and below it, right?

So from what it sounds like, the theater seems to be nestled in behind the first and second levels of seats, where you would normally expect something like a locker room to be?

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

No, he means like an office building. The floor/ice is not at ground level. MSG is 10 stories tall, the floor is on the 5th floor and the seating is on floors 5-10. I've never been to the theatre portion but from the way he describes it I think the theater is below the arena.

Question about MSG:

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

No, he means like an office building. The floor/ice is not at ground level. MSG is 10 stories tall, the floor is on the 5th floor and the seating is on floors 5-10. I've never been to the theatre portion but from the way he describes it I think the theater is below the arena.

Now that I re-read his post, it makes more sense now. Still, it certainly didn't look like a 10-story building. I was staring at it as we walked up to it, and it didn't appear to be much taller than the Wachovia Center or any other arena. Of course, it may have been an illusion, since there's a big tower right next to it.

To get to the theater, we had to go up at least one escalator. Can't remember if more than one. We then walked through the lobby where the bars are to get to the seating, and walked down to our seats. It would make sense that we entered on the second floor, and walked down near the first where the stage is.

It seemed so small though... like it couldn't have taken up the entire floor (unless there's a huge area behind the stage.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Question about MSG:

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

Now that I re-read his post, it makes more sense now. Still, it certainly didn't look like a 10-story building. I was staring at it as we walked up to it, and it didn't appear to be much taller than the Wachovia Center or any other arena. Of course, it may have been an illusion, since there's a big tower right next to it.

To get to the theater, we had to go up at least one escalator. Can't remember if more than one. We then walked through the lobby where the bars are to get to the seating, and walked down to our seats. It would make sense that we entered on the second floor, and walked down near the first where the stage is.

It seemed so small though... like it couldn't have taken up the entire floor (unless there's a huge area behind the stage.)

MSG has diagrams on its website. As you can see here it takes up about a quarter to a half of what would be the arena floor.

http://www.thegarden.com/media/content/seating/theatre-overview-map.pdf

Here is the general overview of MSG diagram. As you can see the Theater is floors 2-3, and the arena is floors 5+. I think floor 1 is the lobby. I don't rally know the only part of MSG I've been in was Penn Station.

http://www.thegarden.com/media/content/seating/msg-overview-map.pdf

Has for its height it is probably a little of both. The bigger buildings around probably do create an optical illusion but Wachovia Center might not be that far behind in size. Remember MSG was built in the late 60's about the same time as the Spectrum in Philly. Layouts were different where it goes out more instead of stacked like arenas today. Thus the arena portion isn't as tall. As a comparison look at the height of the Spectrum compared to the Wachovia Center.

Wow, this is one of the best threads I've come across.

RYS:

2929301029_df70f87d74_b.jpg

2773652258_88a72b5ebb_b.jpg

192537002_f2ff9ad299_b.jpg

"Monument Park, created in 1974-75 during renovation of the original Yankee Stadium, housed the flag pole and a collection of monuments, plaques, and retired numbers honoring distinguished members of the New York Yankees. When the stadium was originally constructed, the flag pole was placed in play, over 450 feet from home plate to the left of straightaway center field. After manager Miller Huggins died suddenly of food poisoning, the Yankees erected a monument dedicated to him in front of the flag pole on May 30, 1982. The monument, a plaque mounted on an upright slab of red marble, was later joined by monuments dedicated to Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth upon their deaths, and a number of plaques were mounted behind them on the outside wall.

When the stadium was remodeled, the monuments were moved out of play to an enclosed area between the two bullpens. It wasn't until 1985 when the left field fence was moved in, though, that the park was opened to fans prior to games and during stadium tours. At that point, the rear fence lining the walkway from the grandstand seats to the monuments, which had been the actual outfield fence from 1976-1984, was adorned with the Yankees' retired numbers.

The ceremonial monuments are awarded posthumously and are the highest honor of all. The other two Yankees to receive the honor are Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio. Another monument was erected to remember the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Plaques honor: Edward Barrow, Joe McCarthy, Phil Rizzuto, Bill Dickey, Thurman Munson, Jacob Ruppert, Mel Allen, Red Ruffing, Whitey Ford, Reggie Jackson, Lefty Gomez, Casey Stengel, Don Mattingly, Elston Howard, Billy Martin, Allie Reynolds, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry, Bob Sheppard, Pope Paul VI, and Pope John Paul II.

The following numbers are retired: 1 (Billy Martin), 3 (Babe Ruth), 4 (Lou Gehrig), 5 (Joe DiMaggio), 7 (Mickey Mantle), 8 (Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra), 9 (Roger Maris), 10 (Phil Rizzuto), 15 (Thurman Munson), 16 (Whitey Ford), 23 (Don Mattingly), 32 (Elston Howard), 37 (Casey Stengel), 42 (Jackie Robinson), 44 (Reggie Jackson), and 49 (Ron Guidry)."

NYS:

3461368010_7648d5c53f_b.jpg

3458281936_c1c8beabd1_b.jpg

3819517750_6976ccd2e4_b.jpg

3460550837_9d8790ab28_b.jpg

Can't wait to see 26 changed to 27, and 2009 added to that last one!!

Anubis.png

Question about MSG:

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

MSG has diagrams on its website. As you can see here it takes up about a quarter to a half of what would be the arena floor.

http://www.thegarden...verview-map.pdf

Here is the general overview of MSG diagram. As you can see the Theater is floors 2-3, and the arena is floors 5+. I think floor 1 is the lobby. I don't rally know the only part of MSG I've been in was Penn Station.

Has for its height it is probably a little of both. The bigger buildings around probably do create an optical illusion but Wachovia Center might not be that far behind in size. Remember MSG was built in the late 60's about the same time as the Spectrum in Philly. Layouts were different where it goes out more instead of stacked like arenas today. Thus the arena portion isn't as tall. As a comparison look at the height of the Spectrum compared to the Wachovia Center.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Question about MSG:

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135433/index.htm

This old Sports Illustrated articles was written when they first built the Garden IV... if you click "view this issue" under the title and go to page 39, there is an interesting diagram. What was originally intended to be a bowling ally is now the club restaurants and also the becomes the theater "studio" area where they do post-draft press conferences interviews.

And in case anyone was wondering, the furth floor is where MSG network offices and studios are (under the seats). The expo area is on the fifth floor (same level as the court) but underneith the seats. Thats where they do band set-up, hold the circus animals, keep the zambonis, etc. I also would from time to time see college cheerleaders rehearsing there during the big east tournament :-)

I was wrong about the theater it is on floor 2-3, not 1-2. The ground level (1st floor) doesn't have much on it other than storage and entrances for freight and employees (or both in the case of Eddy Curry... zing)

The Knicks, Rangers, and Libery offices are in the tower next to the garden (2 Penn Plaza). ESPN radio, WPLJ, Disney Radio, and AM 770 ABC is in there as well.

Question about MSG:

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1135433/index.htm

This old Sports Illustrated articles was written when they first built the Garden IV... if you click "view this issue" under the title and go to page 39, there is an interesting diagram. What was originally intended to be a bowling ally is now the club restaurants and also the becomes the theater "studio" area where they do post-draft press conferences interviews.

That's a horrible diagram that's hard to make out.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

You had to quote seven pictures to say that?

Anyway, cool article about MSG. I'm sure I'll be there again before the renovations start, so I'll definitely pay more attention to where I'm going next time.

Baltimore displays theirs as statues outside the ballpark:

177967651_41be573424.jpg

202352248_435c54275a.jpg

177967502_459ffac642.jpg

202352969_8f7961b605.jpg

Believe it or not, Cal Ripken Jr's number "8" was recently stolen:

article.jpeg

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2009-09-09/cal-ripkens-8-stolen-from-outside-ballpark

Wednesday, Sep. 9, 2009 - 10:12 a.m. ET

Cal Ripken's '8' stolen from outside ballpark

Police later recover monument; four men arrested

BALTIMORE — As if things weren't bad enough for the Baltimore Orioles, who just clinched their 12th consecutive losing season: On Wednesday, a temporary fence and police tape surrounded the spot that had been occupied by a monument to one of the team's all-time greats, Cal Ripken.

The large aluminum No. 8 outside the Camden Yards ballpark was stolen Tuesday night by four young men who were arrested about two hours later, Baltimore police said. The monument was recovered.

Surveillance cameras captured video of the men removing the 4-foot monument and placing it in the bed of a pickup truck, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Police put out an all-points bulletin, and the men were arrested in east Baltimore after officers responding to a disorderly conduct report spotted the object in the truck bed, Guglielmi said.

The Orioles have a series of aluminum monuments depicting retired uniform numbers outside one entrance to the downtown ballpark. They include Brooks Robinson's 5, Jim Palmer's 22 and Eddie Murray's 33.

The suspects were identified as Gary Parker, 19, of Baltimore; Matthew Rayner, 19, of Chase; Patrick Reynolds, 18, of Middle River; and Jason Stoneberner, 19, of Essex.

They were being held at the city's Central Booking and Intake Center on charges of felony theft and destruction of property, police said. There was no indication they had attorneys.

Police returned the monument to the Orioles on Wednesday after taking photos and examining it for evidence, Guglielmi said.

"I don't know if they'll be able to reuse it," he said.

Orioles spokesman Monica Barlow said the team had no comment about the theft because it was a police matter. She said she did not know when the monument would be reinstalled. The Orioles began a five-game road trip with a 10-0 drubbing by Boston Tuesday night, their 82nd loss of the season, and will return home Monday.

Ripken had no comment on the theft, said his spokesman, John Maroon.

Anubis.png