Arena Rafters & Banners

"Western Conference Regular Season Champions"? Is there such a title? Is anything actually awarded to the 1 seed in each conference? Or are they just looking for reasons to make banners?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why cant we have a hockey stadium with a retactible roof. Then we would have hockey outside.

Because nobody is asking for it. Nobody would attend outdoor hockey on a regular basis. You certainly wouldn't have outdoor basketball in the majority of cities, and the other events that happen in these arenas aren't really meant for an outdoor environment. You'd be spending hundreds of millions to build a roof contraption that would get used once or twice a year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why cant we have a hockey stadium with a retactible roof. Then we would have hockey outside.

Because nobody is asking for it. Nobody would attend outdoor hockey on a regular basis. You certainly wouldn't have outdoor basketball in the majority of cities, and the other events that happen in these arenas aren't really meant for an outdoor environment. You'd be spending hundreds of millions to build a roof contraption that would get used once or twice a year.

Once upon a time the Penguins used to have a retractable roof at the Mellon Arena. Too bad they had too many glitches with the roof that they decided to close it up just like the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Once upon a time the Penguins used to have a retractable roof at the Mellon Arena. Too bad they had too many glitches with the roof that they decided to close it up just like the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Right, but that design consideration had little (if anything) to do with hockey.

So then it's not just that picture.

Nope. The Tank is quite bright.

The outside is white piping. The inside is white piping and white floors and white lights and, of course, white ice.

The only colors off-setting it all is the few grays and a few black seats in the arena.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Bleh. As (sort of) a fan, I'm not a fan. I much prefer dark arenas in basketball and hockey, so that all the attention is on the field of play. You don't leave the house lights on at movies, plays, the opera, what have you, so I see no reason to do so at sporting events, unless you're doing a whiteout or something. The Blackhawks keep the United Center house lights dim to off, but have the ribbon boards and those dopey "Madhouse on Madison" signs on, which looks a little eerie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bleh. As (sort of) a fan, I'm not a fan. I much prefer dark arenas in basketball and hockey, so that all the attention is on the field of play. You don't leave the house lights on at movies, plays, the opera, what have you, so I see no reason to do so at sporting events, unless you're doing a whiteout or something. The Blackhawks keep the United Center house lights dim to off, but have the ribbon boards and those dopey "Madhouse on Madison" signs on, which looks a little eerie.

I'm with you. The Spectum used to be dim, except for the ice. I like watching old wrestling tapes from MSG where just the ring is lit up.

I remember my first time in the Igloo in Pittsburgh, and I was amazed that it was so bright in there. Then the Wachovia center was built, and it too is bright (though not as bright as Igloo.) I'm not sure if it's a safety / insurance thing, or just because nowadays so much of the crowd is "corporate", and is pretty much concerned with everything but the game.

Agreed, which is why I like what the Lakers do with their setup @ Staples Center. If every team did that, it'd be awesome.

"Western Conference Regular Season Champions"? Is there such a title? Is anything actually awarded to the 1 seed in each conference? Or are they just looking for reasons to make banners?

I think the team just does it if they feel like it?

I know the Red Wings do the same, but the Sabres do not do this (They were the "Eastern Conference Regular Season Champions" in 2007, but there is no such banner mentioning it)

What about the other 28 teams...anybody got info on what they do?

I know the Red Wings do the same, but the Sabres do not do this (They were the "Eastern Conference Regular Season Champions" in 2007, but there is no such banner mentioning it)

Does the NHL recognize a "regular season" champion? If not, then the team is just making up fake championships. It's kind of like how Ted DiBiase invented the Million Dollar Championship, just so he could have a pretty belt to wear around.

Does the NHL recognize a "regular season" champion? If not, then the team is just making up fake championships. It's kind of like how Ted DiBiase invented the Million Dollar Championship, just so he could have a pretty belt to wear around.

Yes, it's the President's Trophy.

Yes, it's the President's Trophy.

Sorry, I meant "regular season" conference champion.

Oh, no, I don't think they do that. Raising banners for finishing first place in the conference sort of diminishes the whole banner concept. Same with retiring #1 for the fans because the fans are #1. I'd like to see a goaltender come in and demand that #1 be unretired for him. I wonder if the fans would allow an Ilya Bryzgalov or whoever to wear their number.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫