Arena Rafters & Banners

When you say "floor", you mean seating tier, right? Not like the arena is on it's own floor, like it's an office building and it has stuff above and below it, right?

So from what it sounds like, the theater seems to be nestled in behind the first and second levels of seats, where you would normally expect something like a locker room to be?

Something like

* <------200 level seats
* <----- 100 level seats
theater *
theater *
theater * court / ice
theater ***********************************

No, he means like an office building. The floor/ice is not at ground level. MSG is 10 stories tall, the floor is on the 5th floor and the seating is on floors 5-10. I've never been to the theatre portion but from the way he describes it I think the theater is below the arena.

Now that I re-read his post, it makes more sense now. Still, it certainly didn't look like a 10-story building. I was staring at it as we walked up to it, and it didn't appear to be much taller than the Wachovia Center or any other arena. Of course, it may have been an illusion, since there's a big tower right next to it.

To get to the theater, we had to go up at least one escalator. Can't remember if more than one. We then walked through the lobby where the bars are to get to the seating, and walked down to our seats. It would make sense that we entered on the second floor, and walked down near the first where the stage is.

It seemed so small though... like it couldn't have taken up the entire floor (unless there's a huge area behind the stage.)

So the ice level of MSG is actually 5 floors above street level? That's a rather unique twist on most other arenas where the ice level is either right at street level or below it. (I know in the case of the Bell Centre in Montreal and the Halifax Metro Centre, they`re both built into the side of a hill so there are entrances at street level at the front of the building and then entrances at the back of the building which are at ice level).

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

So the ice level of MSG is actually 5 floors above street level? That's a rather unique twist on most other arenas where the ice level is either right at street level or below it. (I know in the case of the Bell Centre in Montreal and the Halifax Metro Centre, they`re both built into the side of a hill so there are entrances at street level at the front of the building and then entrances at the back of the building which are at ice level).

Yes, its on the 5th floor of the building. If you've ever been there your ticket has a tower in addition to a gate to let you know which tower contains the escalators closest to your gate.

The press box is on the 9th floor.

Of course the majority come from through the Penn Station and 34th Street Entrances so they use A & D and just walk around upstairs anyway...

MSG also features it's famous fan roof and doesn't have "rafters" the way one would think of them in other arenas. It's more like just a ceiling...

P1000217.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So I've read disputing accounts of this - are they going through with the huge renovation of the current MSG after next year, or are they actually going to build a brand new MSG? I wasn't inside the sports part of MSG, and from what I could tell, it seemed like a perfectly functional (if obviously outdated) arena, but from a lot of what I've read and pictures I've seen, it really seems like the sports experience pales in comparison to the newer arenas (with the obvious exception of the intangible aspect of the arena's history, which almost always bumps it up a notch or two.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I've read disputing accounts of this - are they going through with the huge renovation of the current MSG after next year, or are they actually going to build a brand new MSG? I wasn't inside the sports part of MSG, and from what I could tell, it seemed like a perfectly functional (if obviously outdated) arena, but from a lot of what I've read and pictures I've seen, it really seems like the sports experience pales in comparison to the newer arenas (with the obvious exception of the intangible aspect of the arena's history, which almost always bumps it up a notch or two.)

After the 2010-2011 basketball/hockey seasons end they'll start their renovation in phases for a redone seating bowl, DESPERATELY needed wider concourses (they're woefully cramped and don't accommodate the intermission rush well at all), and a bunch of other fancy-schmancy renovations that will be completed so as to keep the arena functional for the Knicks and Rangers and other college basketball games and concerts, etc.

There was talk of the Rangers and Knicks spending some time at the Meadowlands but they're going with the "Pardon Our Appearance" approach rather than just closing up shop for a year or so...

Also, other than the 400 level, there is no tiered seating. It's one bowl that gradually rises, with 360 degree walkways around the seating bowl. The sideline seats in the back are further than the baseline seats on the same level. My Ranger seats are in the 300 level and there's only 6-7 rows before the back of the arena, whereas other sections go back over 20 rows. So there's that issue which I'd think can't be changed without a MAJOR reconstruction which isn't happening. You could technically walk up from the court/ice to the back row of the arena without missing a beat, though you'd have to climb over some non-structural railings that mainly serve to distinguish seating levels and act as a partition. I'm not sure how they'll redo the seating bowl though in this renovation...

P1000194.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That pic makes it look really small, though I know it's a >20,000 seat arena.

It doesn't look as bad as the Igloo, but it's pretty close. Also, the seat colors are horrible!

I'll have to look at the pics for the planned renovation before passing judgement, but I can't imagine that they can really modernize that without blowing it up and starting over. Obviously in NYC that's easier said than done though!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That looks much better - I didn't think they could add the middle suite level and separate the decks like that without blowing it up. That looks much closer to some of the modern arenas.

Was at the 'Nova vs. Georgetown game yesterday, and noticed some things about the Flyers' and Sixers' banners:

1. Sixers changed the logo on Charles Barkley's retired number banner. For some reason, they used the black-gold logo on it (even though he never wore it). They now use the original (current) logo.

2. Flyers stopped hanging division championship banners. Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed that they just have one "Atlantic Division Champions" banner that just lists all of the years they've won it. They still have individual banners for Patrick Division and Western Division.

1. Sixers changed the logo on Charles Barkley's retired number banner. For some reason, they used the black-gold logo on it (even though he never wore it). They now use the original (current) logo.

Didn't Barkley sign one of those one-day/one-game contracts with Philadelphia after he left Houston?

Didn't Barkley sign one of those one-day/one-game contracts with Philadelphia after he left Houston?

I don't remember. Either way, he still never wore that logo.

"Western Conference Regular Season Champions"? Is there such a title? Is anything actually awarded to the 1 seed in each conference? Or are they just looking for reasons to make banners?

I think the team just does it if they feel like it?

I know the Red Wings do the same, but the Sabres do not do this (They were the "Eastern Conference Regular Season Champions" in 2007, but there is no such banner mentioning it)

What about the other 28 teams...anybody got info on what they do?

stars have "wester conference regular season champions" banners too... i'm not a fan, but it really really makes us look even more successful than the 3-4 mavs banners, as if we didn't already.

"Western Conference Regular Season Champions"? Is there such a title? Is anything actually awarded to the 1 seed in each conference? Or are they just looking for reasons to make banners?

I think the team just does it if they feel like it?

I know the Red Wings do the same, but the Sabres do not do this (They were the "Eastern Conference Regular Season Champions" in 2007, but there is no such banner mentioning it)

What about the other 28 teams...anybody got info on what they do?

stars have "wester conference regular season champions" banners too... i'm not a fan, but it really really makes us look even more successful than the 3-4 mavs banners, as if we didn't already.

I guess that?s what it?s all about, trying to amplify just how much success you?ve actually had!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg