Arena Rafters & Banners

I have been meaning to post a pic for a while now, but here's one of University of Phoenix Stadium...they've been hanging banners for the Cardinals the last two seasons:

X045.jpg

Those empty seats below the banners are part of the temporary seating for large events - I think this particular game was right before the Fiesta Bowl. The Cardinals weren't allowed to sell tickets for those seats.

AND it is nice to see banners for the Cardinals now.

There's just something wrong with bannars hanging from the rafters in baseball or football stadiums.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well most baseball teams put them on flag poles or on the outfield wall (or other visible spots in the stadium). Most football teams don't even display banners. I was more getting at the fact that I despise domes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why do the Buffalo Sabres have 1975 and 1980 Prince of Wales Champions banners?

The playoffs were not conference by conference in those seasons.

They were matched up based on points 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

In 1980, they didn't make the Stanley Cup Finals, which makes

that banner misleading.

Technically they had the most points in the conference those two years.

So if anything shouldn't they both say

"Wales Conference Regular Season Champions" (which I feel shouldn't have a banner)

like the Red Wings have?

sig-1.png

Why do the Buffalo Sabres have 1975 and 1980 Prince of Wales Champions banners?

The playoffs were not conference by conference in those seasons.

They were matched up based on points 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc.

In 1980, they didn't make the Stanley Cup Finals, which makes

that banner misleading.

Technically they had the most points in the conference those two years.

So if anything shouldn't they both say

"Wales Conference Regular Season Champions" (which I feel shouldn't have a banner)

like the Red Wings have?

The Prince of Wales Trophy was for the regular season champions of the Wales Conference from 1974-75 to 1980-81.

Well most baseball teams put them on flag poles or on the outfield wall (or other visible spots in the stadium). Most football teams don't even display banners. I was more getting at the fact that I despise domes.

I can understand dispising domes. In some instances they are a necessary evil. Here in Phoenix (or Glendale for the Cardinals) the shear fact of Arizona's severe heat in August to late October makes a dome the only viable solution Same with the Diamondbacks for baseball. The heat is too much in the summer. The years the Cards played at Sun Devil Stadium several hundred people either suffered a heat related injury or came real close, and that was nearly every game. Even the late evening games with ASU and many High School Games still to this day have several required "water Breaks" due to the heat.

Domes, though are ugly and can be eyesores on the horizon are better for events in Arizona. IMHO

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Cool thread! Here's some South Florida banners:

The Panthers' one real banner(they also have "Most points by a first year team", All-Star and Draft banners):

catsphoto.jpg

Here's the Heat's house before they retired Tim Hardaway's number(Division titles, 05/06 Conference Champs, 05/06 NBA Champs, 'Zo's 33, Wade/Mourning/Hardaway Olympic banners and the last one is for former team athletic trainer Ron Culp):

photoin.jpg

Though I understand your "Football belongs outside" angle, domes are meant to house other events, too.

Building the Georgia Dome was the smartest decision the city of Atlanta ever made, and the revenue that's been generated because of the Dome has been astronomical. It has allowed Atlanta to host the Super Bowl, the Olympics, the Final Four, the SEC Football Championship, the ACC and SEC basketball tournaments, and other national and international events. It has also enhanced the quality of play and fan experience for NFL games and the Peach (now Chick-Fil-A) Bowl.

I've never questioned it from a business standpoint. But as for the argument that "it's necessary to have a dome in order to play here", how did colleges and high schools play all those years before the technology to build air-conditioned domes existed? Also, why have a retractable dome when it's closed all the time? And when it's not closed, the "opening" barely exposes the whole field? Any time I've seen a dome'd game on TV, it just looks so sterile.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm not sure what a good solution would be for teams with "traditional" outdoor stadiums. Maybe put accomplishments on the side tarp (the tarp under the first row of seats)? With the amount of thin video boards in the level dividers, the "ring of honor" thing and other accomplishment displays as permanent fixtures will be a thing of the past.

flamesbanners.png

Scanned this from a recent game guide, Took forever but they finally aliened the banners and made them all the same size. My only problem is they didn't make Lanny and Vernon's jersey banners red.

There are also Roughnecks and Hitmen banners scattered around the rest of the rafters.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Though I understand your "Football belongs outside" angle, domes are meant to house other events, too.

Building the Georgia Dome was the smartest decision the city of Atlanta ever made, and the revenue that's been generated because of the Dome has been astronomical. It has allowed Atlanta to host the Super Bowl, the Olympics, the Final Four, the SEC Football Championship, the ACC and SEC basketball tournaments, and other national and international events. It has also enhanced the quality of play and fan experience for NFL games and the Peach (now Chick-Fil-A) Bowl.

And of course, the Falcons' owners now says that they need a new stadium to compete.

We're gonna need 2 up there also!

-Dan

For sure MacInnis but they haven't showed any effort on trying to retire his number or honor him in any of the alumni nights for the 30th Anniversary this season.

I'm pretty sure that Theo's 14 will be hanging from the rafters though next season.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

And of course, the Falcons' owners now says that they need a new stadium to compete.

I don't see why the hell Arthur Blank is begging for a new stadium. They just spent money fixing the place up a few years ago, and it's less than 20 years old.

I don't see why the hell Arthur Blank is begging for a new stadium. They just spent money fixing the place up a few years ago, and it's less than 20 years old.

20 years = 1989. Stadium trends changed dramatically around 1998 or 1999 (when Cleveland Browns' stadium, Baltimore stadium opened around then, with Heinz, LFF, Reliant, etc. right around the corner) so the Georgia Dome may not be able to have those extra features and revenue streams no matter how much the renovate it. Note - I've never been inside it, so I don't know for sure. It's kind of like New Comisky - opened only one year behind Camden Yards, yet miles behind it and every stadium to have opened since (except for the Thunderdome, or whatever it's called now.)

• 1 month later...

Giving this thread a bump, as ESPN Page 2 recently solicited nominees for, and pictures of, the worst arena banners in sports. (Gallery of fan-submitted nominees here.)

"Attendance Champions"? "100 Consecutive Sellouts"? Even a retired number on an NBA D-League team? Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

Update: It turns out some blog beat ESPN to the punch by about two years.

CCSLC signature.png