Arena Rafters & Banners

WNBA's Mystics Attendance Championship banners are taken down.

Wes Unseld no longer has to share the rafters with WNBA attendance banners.

The three banners marking seasons in which the Washington Mystics led the WNBA in attendance have been taken down at the Verizon Center.

The large banners - with the bold letters "WNBA ATTENDANCE CHAMPIONS" - have long been considered eyesores by many fans, who felt they looked out of place among banners commemorating the retired jerseys of the Washington Wizards and Capitals as well as the various titles the teams have won.

Capitals and Mystics owner Ted Leonsis, who is purchasing the Wizards and the arena, announced the news Friday on his blog.

Leonsis wrote that banners should be reserved for championships that involving winning.

So when do the Capitals and Wizards banners come down? You want to honor winning, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is still kind of in beta but I figured I'd post it here...

http://www.detroithockey.net/team/arena/rafters.php

A diagram of the placement of the Red Wings' banners at Joe Louis Arena. Something I've been playing around with for awhile.

I just clicked on that link..and I must say, that is a perfect way to show the banners and etc in each NHL arena and can be said the same for any NBA arena, MLB stadium and NFL & CFL stadium, and more to mention eh?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

• 3 weeks later...

So there's a new wrinkle to the MSG renovation plans. They're going to add "bridge seating" that will be suspended from the ceiling to hold up to 1,000 more fans.

It's a great idea for almost any other arena, but it'll ruin the iconic "Fan Ceiling" that the Garden features.

madison_square_garden--300x300.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That thing strikes me as a lawsuit waiting to happen.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So there's a new wrinkle to the MSG renovation plans. They're going to add "bridge seating" that will be suspended from the ceiling to hold up to 1,000 more fans.

It's a great idea for almost any other arena, but it'll ruin the iconic "Fan Ceiling" that the Garden features.

Wow, that?s crazy. The floor would have to be some type of transparent glass though!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Funny... that's pretty much what I mentioned in the "how long will current stadiums be around for " thread. I remember telling people my idea of a transparent roof over the ice where people could look down on the action about a year ago. Didn't think of the "bridge" though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow, that's crazy. The floor would have to be some type of transparent glass though!

It would be nice if the picture enlarged but, based on what I see, that isn't hanging over the ice.

Wow, that's crazy. The floor would have to be some type of transparent glass though!

It would be nice if the picture enlarged but, based on what I see, that isn't hanging over the ice.

You?re right, it does look like it?s hanging over the crowd versus the ice, but now that I mentioned the idea, wouldn?t it be cool to have a bridge that?s right over the ice/playing floor? :D They could feature some type of glass floor like what the CN Tower in Toronto has.

800px-Glass_Floor_of_the_CN_Tower.JPG

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I agree... Furthermore, two things come to mind. One, there's NO way the NHL would approve of this, especially after the girl in Columbus was hit with a puck. When that happened, up went the nets. Having a sky bridge, regardless of placement (either over the stands or over the ice) would be a HUGE liability. Second, I think of the smaller rinks in the Canadian Hockey League where there are gondolas suspended over the rink for members of the press. Low hanging baskets + high flying pucks = radio PBP members diving for cover!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

3193279574_65719e7cc5.jpg

MBSK01_02RuppBanners.jpg

Rupp Arena - Home to the Greatest College in the NCAA.

I find it odd that there is no distinction to the National Championship banners.

It's like everything there is one equal accomplishment.

Why blow a lot of money on a fancy banner that the NCAA's going to take away from you later?

Today, we are all otaku.

3193279574_65719e7cc5.jpg

MBSK01_02RuppBanners.jpg

Rupp Arena - Home to the Greatest College in the NCAA.

I find it odd that there is no distinction to the National Championship banners.

It's like everything there is one equal accomplishment.

Why blow a lot of money on a fancy banner that the NCAA's going to take away from you later?

Uhhhh....which one are you referring to?

Presumably every banner they've put up since the 1950s. It seems like for Kentucky it's a question of "when" rather than "if" regarding NCAA sanctions.

Today, we are all otaku.

I agree... Furthermore, two things come to mind. One, there's NO way the NHL would approve of this, especially after the girl in Columbus was hit with a puck. When that happened, up went the nets. Having a sky bridge, regardless of placement (either over the stands or over the ice) would be a HUGE liability. Second, I think of the smaller rinks in the Canadian Hockey League where there are gondolas suspended over the rink for members of the press. Low hanging baskets + high flying pucks = radio PBP members diving for cover!

Not to mention I don't see the Rangers scoring 4 goals in a period and a half

2IA3b.png

Hi, all. I'm new to these forums.

This is a pretty cool thread seeing all the different sports banners that various teams put up to show off their accomplishments (although some of them are ridiculous). I agree with some here in that my preference with banners is to show the logo/uniform that corresponds to when that accomplishment (the milwaukee bucks banners) was achieved or when a certain star played (charles barkley's retired number in Philly)

Here was something that I created for the LA Lakers championship banners. The one thing that gets to me sometimes is that they have one Minneapolis Lakers banner signifying all 5 of their championships in Minneapolis (although I do realize that the Staples Center wall is getting filled up quickly and has been mentioned here before)

LALakersbanners2010B.jpg

21bjhvt.jpg

The media row at the Bell Centre in Montreal is actually a ring of seats just like that that can only be accessed by walking down a suspended corridor that sticks out from the very top corner of the arena. In fact, the radio and TV broadcast booths hang down from this row and can only accessed by walking down a flight of stairs from the ring to the booth. The ring at the Bell Centre though actually hovers over the stands and not the ice and is way too high (even higher than the banners) to ever think about being hit by a deflected puck. The inside edge of the ring that faces the ice surface is covered by what is essentially a gigantic desk, so it would not be easy at all to fall over it without climbing onto the desk first. The outside edge is surrounded by a very tall barrier that would make it difficult to fall over unless you climbed on a chair and then jumped. The walkway of this ring is actually wide enough that you can easily avoid bumping into somebody and thus poses extremely little danger of anybody ever off. While this ring only seats about 360, standing room could easily allow over 1000 safely. If MSG follows this route, I see no problem as far as safety is concerned.

(Yes, I took the Bell Centre tour.)

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I was at the Connecticut Sun

WNBA game last week (we get free tix with our players club card, plus I like women's basketball, sue me) and for the third summer in a row Billy Joel has a banner up regarding 10 sold out shows at the Mohegan Sun Arena from May to June 2008 "a New England Record"

Does anyone know if Billy Joel has some sort of deal in his contract

stating where he plays must

put up banners for him if it's some kind of record? I saw one in MSG when I toured it a couple years back.

Here's a poor cell phone shot of the banner in

between the Sun's 2 conference championship banners:

Joelbanner.jpg

sig-1.png